When all the odds are agianst you: The Road to College Ball

I am a freshman, I haven’t been well respected in terms of playing baseball, but when It comes to knowing about baseball. . . I’m that guy who knows all the facts that nobody really cares about, but when you hear them you’ll say “Ahh thats who that was!”

Many have told me that I look like a baseball player, and after several years of not playing club ball becuase I wasn’t satisfied with outfeild, I rejoined the sport after the Rob Sasser, (a partner with the White Sox), told me I had the build of a pitcher. I am tall and lanky, but even though I have no upper body strength, my lower body strength is amzaing.

My belif is that there is no such thing as “not being able to do something,” there is not trying to do something. Your mind is the most powerful thing in baseball. In retrospect, all the odds ae agianst me, I am legally blind in one eye, I have an adnormally high metabalism and am biologically not able to gain weight, and I live in a world where it seems that no one plays baseball anymore. In these last 4 years of highschool I plan to surpass what people thought of me, and what I become, and I look forward to improving with the advice given to me on this blog.

whoaaaa my names austin, i should be a freshman, and my numbers always been 14…whoaaaa

In the middle of a home game that was tied 6-6, I came back from warming up the right-feilder. My coach had told me to grab my glove and for a freind of mine to come and spot for us. I had no idea of what was going on and was wondering who they were putting in to pitch. I sat on the bench to have the coach look at me and say “Hurry up, do you want to pitch bullpen or not?” I showed him what I could do, he nodded, and we sat back down.

Then I had discovered that my freind (Nolan) had told the coach “Austin is a great pither, he has a lot of potential as a pitcher and I don’t think it is fair to him that he works so hard at pitching, and hasn’t got a chance yet.”

Later that week the coach told me that there would be multiple games that I might get to pitch (3 out of 8 games, there were 8 games left in the season.)

u will do awsome

Thanks for all the encouraging messages.

Sadly, the 3 games I was scheduled to pitch, were rained out. But it’s the end of the season.

My coaches have a lot of faith in me, even though they’ve set some tough goals, I am willing to do all the work required to meet them. I have met a former Texas Ranger pitcher, Ryan Falcon, to help me reach these goals. With his help, and the people on this site, I hope to reach the goals and be a regular pitcher next year.

2011 Spring season notes:

2011 season
-140 lbs
-2 seam fastball:65mph
-4 seam fastball:60 mph
-3 finger changeup: 55 mph

During the season:
-pitched mostly bullpen sessions

I have decided to join a new league to get in some live pitching during the Fall season. I haven’t played in this league sence I stopped playing baseball back in 2004.

Back then I was an outfeilder, and the level of competition was not satisfying, nothing was hit out into the outfeild and it was boring.

But in that league there was some good times, my best record was recorded in that league, in 2003 the Pirates went 18-2, an amazing record, my batting average was somewhere in the high .300’s

So it will be both exiting to go back. I will post when the season starts and what happens during the coarse of the season.

The exam grades have been distributed and the teachers are packing up, the halls are emptying. I walked past my coach as I saw him loading the back of his pick-up truck with our baseball gear. I could tell the end of the year was just about hear and I will have about 2 months to relax, but also 2 months to train, get better, and get ready for the fall season.

I can’t wait until the fall season starts, I look forward to getting better and doing the work that is required for it.

you kind of have a defeatist attitude with regard to gaining weight. You ARE biologically capable of gaining weight. You AREN’T some freak or exception to the rule. Oftentimes, people limit themselves with this kind of attitude. You may have an above average metabolism, but you are not some kind of freak who can’t put on muscle mass.

Are you satisfied with weighing a buck-forty and throwing 65? If not, start learning about how to put on weight rather than claiming you are not biologically capable of doing so.

I think I remember you writing that you were really into distance running…hmm…

My Off-Season Goals:

-To Gain Muscle Mass
-To get to the 70’s
-Meet my coaches goals (pitching mid 70’s)
-Fix my mechainics so I don’t “drag” my arm when I pitch

Some of you may have noticed I canged my signature and it says “LEARNING NEW MECHANICS”

Currently I am working on throwing in the 3/4 arm slot and not throwing side arm anymore. I am a big fan of throwing side arm because of the distance and speed it gives me on the feild. But when I pitch I tend to drag my arm, also because I lean to the left alot, which causes me to drag my arm. To fix this, I am completely changing my mechanics (with the help of Ryan Falcon of course). Once I learn these new mechanics I’ll clock them and post the speeds.

Well, I’ve learned my new mechanics and finally feel natural and comfortable going through my mechanics and my pitching coach says they look fenominal.

Now all that is left to do is to gain muscle mass in my upper body so I can get my pitches past 65.

I was also wondering if there is a site or someone on this site who can help me come up with a workout plan for someone with my body build, because I’m having trouble doing it myself and I don’t think the topic “Is my Workout Plan Good” is really getting anywhere

[quote=“Austin#34”]Well, I’ve learned my new mechanics and finally feel natural and comfortable going through my mechanics and my pitching coach says they look fenominal.

Now all that is left to do is to gain muscle mass in my upper body so I can get my pitches past 65.

I was also wondering if there is a site or someone on this site who can help me come up with a workout plan for someone with my body build, because I’m having trouble doing it myself and I don’t think the topic “Is my Workout Plan Good” is really getting anywhere[/quote]

a lifting program like WS4SBIII by Joe Defranco or this from eric cressey are great options…

Oh thanks, I guess you answered the question I asked in the PM I sent you last night!

So on those days that say “No Lifting” thats where I sub in my other workout things (like sprints, resisntance bands, throwing exercises, etc.)?

[quote=“Austin#34”]Oh thanks, I guess you answered the question I asked in the PM I sent you last night!

So on those days that say “No Lifting” thats where I sub in my other workout things (like sprints, resisntance bands, throwing exercises, etc.)?[/quote]

correct. But make sure you aren’t going overboard to the point where it detracts from your lifting…don’t run sprints until you can’t walk when you havea lower body day the following day.

A Farewell to Can’t

This goodbye does not make me sad. I will not miss you. I have discovered what it feels like to do the unthinkable. The hard. The long. The challenging. You have no buisness here anymore. From now on, difficult will seem doable. I will see the impossible as simpily not-yet-counquered. Farewell, Can’t, you will never haunt me again. Hello, Can, a new challange awaits. And I’m going for it!

That might be inpsirational to some people, thats one of the many things I try to live by.

Well I am going to try out this workout program that LankyLefty suggested and see how it goes over the next few months…

I have been eating alot more, running alot less (and I am planning to climb the 27 story spiral staircase in the Statue of Liberty…)

Well…Tommorow’s my Birthday…whoopdy-doo, here is what I’ll be excpecting myself to do w/ pitching during this next year:

-gain muscle mass!!!
-pitch harder, more accurate, and healthier
-Stop all the criticism within the team
-get the coaches saying “wow this kid can pitch”
-AND most importanly…get the team noticed!

(I should probably learn how to spell too!)

Just a small update,

-I’ve been talking to different people who have played D1 college baseball about working out with me and making sure I do everything right.

-I haven’t thrown in a week or so, so I need to get out tommorow and throw a little

-my hand was run over by an ice skate, luckily it wasn’t my pitching hand, no major injury it was just numb for a few hours but I am starting to regain feeling in it

Well…its time to rumble…my new workout plan starts in less than a week and muy pitching coach gets back from Texas in a few weeks. I am feeling confident about what I’ve done this summer

-Lengthened my stride
-perfected my armslot and shoulder seperation

And fianlly the one I have been waiting for ever sense I decided to re-learn how to pitch…

-I feel natural and comfortable on the mound now…I have refound my home on the hill!