Whats your thought about heavy weights with legs?

Fearsomefour, I will check out those videos by rippletoe, Thanks alot for letting me know about them!

And yea I think alot of what makes the training here difference is the drive and motivation of these guys. Training for 2 hours is one thing, but training in 2 hours of 40 degree celcius heat is another. I think thats one of the things that seperates the weak from the ones who really want this! A couple of the guys that are in the camp recently quit… they decided they didnt want it any more.

i also think that being 1700 miles away from home is going to help me. There are no distractions like partys,movies or anything that could take away from my training. I’m Loving it so far and I think its going to keep on like that!

Blakey,

You really do not need to spend any money at all. The information you want is out there and it is free. IMO, what you need is to add strength speed and power. Strength training is NOT the same as bodybuilding. That is a major problem today with pitching instruction. You have coaches who either believe in no weightlifting, or have a glorified bodybuilding routine. Kyleb is spot on. You need to POWERLIFT. Google this. Powerlifting is about building strength with heavy weights and low reps. You build your fast twitch muscles. Everyday you go the gym you try to increase you 1rpm or your 1 rpm weight. Here’s a basic routine:

Monday: Squats 3 sets (5,3,1)
Wednesday: Bench press 3 sets (5,3,1)
Friday: Deadlifts 3 sets (5,3,1)

This are your core excercise. You could add 1 or 2 assistance excercises each day to these to build up the deacceleration muscles. But this should be the foundation for any pitcher. The 3x10 or 3x15 is bull**** and a waste of time.
You also take about 5 minutes rest between sets. You should be in and out of the gym in under an hour. But you have to challenge your self each day on that last set to add more weight or get that second rep.

I think the want factor is huge. This is a big difference between training for hours in that setting and going for 30 minutes at the nice, clean suburban “academy” where the biggest complaint is the Coke machine is out of Dr. Pepper. I know of several kids where I am that have received Div 1 full rides (2 full and 1 half) and have come home after 6 months because they are home sick. That is just lack of worldliness and focus. Being away from home for the first time is tough and lonliness is real. Being as far away as you are, espcially is a place where most everyone speaks a different language, can make a person feel very isolated. For a young guy you have great focus and conviction in what your doing…keep it up. The great part is when you get to the point your traveling playing ball that bus trip or whatever isent going to bug you at all.

I have a friend, we grew up together - Don’t really talk to him much anymore, but we used to work out every night when we were teenagers. He is absolutely jacked out of his mind - 650 squat five times, and bench 500+ - He doesn’t do one reps, not that I saw (or know about now). If he couldn’t do 8, he was upset.
The only time I have ever seen/heard about someone pushing weight for one rep was solely to see what their max was. Including what I have read, watched, etc.

Increasing weight, of course. Increasing intensity, sure…

I could be partial, since I have seen plenty of strong, athletic, ripped, muscular, etc guys that (I know) couldn’t throw a baseball, quickly, in the strike zone.

Doc gooding, Thanks for that Ill deffinetly keep that in mind! I appreciate you taking the time to give me some workout tips and exercises!

Fearsomefour, Ya I completely get it! I had a couple friends who said they also wanted to make it somewhere in baseball and after doing training with me when I used to live back close to them in canada they gave up after literally 3 or 4 weeks, Not even. It shows that baseball isnt a fad that you can pickup whenever you want and start training. You either want it or you dont and if you do want it you need to go 100% all the time so you dont end up later in life thinking “What if, What if I had of tried a little bit harder, Ran a little bit faster, and went to the gym a little bit more”. Thats what keeps me going, knowing that when im old, I can say I gave it my 100 percent, If I make it thats amazing, If not, Then thats too bad.

Kylejamers, Thanks for that, Usually I try and do light weights on my arms with lots of reps, Legs I try and do heavyweights for about 10-15 reps, Although When I go back to canada I might try the 5 reps that doc gooding suggested for the month. (I found that doing the 10-15 reps with heavy weights helped my sprint speed ALOT! As far as pitching goes, I havnt seen alot of increase in velocity yet but I think that comes with time ! Cant plant a seed and expect it to grow into a tree over night!)

[quote=“kylejamers”][quote=“DOC GOODING”]
The 3x10 or 3x15 is bull**** and a waste of time.
[/quote]

I have a friend, we grew up together - Don’t really talk to him much anymore, but we used to work out every night when we were teenagers. He is absolutely jacked out of his mind - 650 squat five times, and bench 500+ - He doesn’t do one reps, not that I saw (or know about now). If he couldn’t do 8, he was upset.
The only time I have ever seen/heard about someone pushing weight for one rep was solely to see what their max was. Including what I have read, watched, etc.

Increasing weight, of course. Increasing intensity, sure…

I could be partial, since I have seen plenty of strong, athletic, ripped, muscular, etc guys that (I know) couldn’t throw a baseball, quickly, in the strike zone.[/quote]

Kylejammers,

The program that I outlined is one that most POWERLIFTERS use and is the basis for getting strong quickly. Its not about getting jacked or necessarily getting big- but that is usually a byproduct of this type of training. My friends were competitive powerlifters and could post insane numbers for these excercises. Neither one weighed more than 160lbs, but they could do feats of strength that would put the meatheads (twice their size) in the gym to shame.
The 1 rpm is a critical measure of strength and its why in competitive lifting you train this way. When you power lift or olympic lift competitively, they never ask you how much you can lift 8 times. They ask you to lift your max once. Not the only way to train, but it is the most efficient. Bottom line, you dont need to dick around in the gym for 2 hours. Get in, challenge yourself every session, and get the f*** out.
These lifts are not about getting ripped, jacked, or muscular. They build strength and fast twitch muscles. The goal is to build a lean but strong and powerful body. I agree with kyleb, that you want to be able to lift 2x your body weight on squats and deadlifts and 1.5x on the bench.

Blakey,

What is your current body weight and velocity? I would suggest that you do a “test” day and list your maxes for the bench, squat, and deadlift. Then you need to ask yourself a serious and honest question:

What gains have I acheived following the current routine that I am doing???

If the gains are not there, then why are you continuing to do the same thing everyday? Also, “velocity does not come with time”. Velocity is a function of Newtons 2nd law of motion:

Force=Mass X Acceleration

Time is not part of the equation. To increase velocity, you must apply more force to the baseball…not more time.

You might want to think about what the formula for acceleration is if you think time isn’t relevant.

I don’t understand the association Doc.

Velocity isn’t genetic, the understanding might be, or rather, the will.

The example I used is one that I know everything about - He powerlifts competitively, bodybuilds, the whole bit. Looks are a part of it, sure. He is also 6’3" 270lbs with about 4% BF. I understand powerlifting, all about 1 rep maxes, olympic lifts, blah blah blah. The point I am making is that going to the gym and 1 rep maxing won’t help the OP throw his baseball faster.

If he is 6’6", 215, and 17 y/o - He should be able to throw much faster than 85 and dead lifting isn’t where he should start.

Touche!

I was referring to time in the context of the following statement:

" I havnt seen alot of increase in velocity yet but I think that comes with time ! Cant plant a seed and expect it to grow into a tree over night! ".

Rather than time in the context of acceleration. Sorry for the confussion.

Kylejammers, Where do you think I should start than? I’m willing to try anything right now aha, Im 17 y/o 6 foot 6 and 215 lbs, Im only throwing 80 and thats what really really bugs me. I know I should be throwing faster and I Dont know why im not! I work as hard as I can every day in the gym and on the field. I think once it clicks its going to increase dramatically but right now things arn’t clicking for me and theres where I need all of your help!

Im pitching on tuesday or monday I think, in a game. I’m going to get someone (Maybe the coach) To video tape my mechanics and I’m going to post them on here as soon as I can. You guys all really know your stuff so I trust you guys to help me make this machine(my body) Do what it needs to do!

And okay docgooding Ill make sure I have that test day sometime this week!

[quote=“kylejamers”] 1-I understand powerlifting, all about 1 rep maxes, olympic lifts, blah blah blah. The point I am making is that going to the gym and 1 rep maxing won’t help the OP throw his baseball faster.

2-If he is 6’6", 215, and 17 y/o - He should be able to throw much faster than 85 and dead lifting isn’t where he should start.[/quote]

1- This is where I respectively disagree with you. The OP needs a stength and conditioning program to become stronger and accelerate faster. Going to the gym and doing a powerlifting program (squats,deadlifts, bench) is essentioal to the OP to increasing strength.

2- I agree that a 6’6’ and 215#s he should be throwing faster. Why isn’t he??? Could be mechanics, but we really don’t know until we see tape. Assuming he has solid mechanics, then like you I feel he should be throwing harder. And thats why I think its a strength/conditioning issue. And I see his routine as a big part of the problem. He’s doing more of a body building program than a strength training program.

:slight_smile:

Use free weights (no machines), warmup, and be sure to have a spotter. Good luck!!!

He shouldn’t start with any one thing. He should be doing a lot of things simultaneously. It’s not a scientific experiment to control for variables.

Im so confused hah! 1 rep max, or using my body at once using compound movements?

The deadlift,bench, and squat are compound movements. And you are not just doing 1 rep max. 5/3/1. Here’s a program for you if you’re interested. It took me less than a minute to google it: You can find more and different versions if you are really interested. Not interested in those, check out driveline baseball. there’s a wealth of information that is out there and can help you. The bodybuilding routines (low weight, high reps, bicep.triceps routines are a waste of time IMO).

Okay Ill try that! Also what are some good books you would reccomend for pitching mechanics and workouts? I know tuff cuff is supposed to be good but what else

Free weights are better because they are more functional, and train a greater amount of stabilizer muscle groups

Regarding the legs, if you’ve ever leg pressed real heavy, you’ll notice that your glutes/buttocks rarely ever get sore. There is very minimal hip extension going on.

Kyle is correct. Dead Lifts are the way to go. Dead lifts are a great power exercise, and no other leg exercise or olympic lift compares to the dead lift for power creation.

I wrote recent blog post on developing leg power here: https://maximumsportperformance.com/blog/developing-baseball-power-for-pitchers/

Enjoy and I’d like to hear your comments.

This is not true. Garhammer’s research showed that even when dropping the training poundage down to lower percentages for Olympic pulls and deadlifts, outputs for Olympic pulls were still almost twice as great.

The olymic lifts are higher in power creation than the deadlift.

http://www.liftinglarge.com/The-No-Deadlift-Deadlift-Program_ep_51-1.html

Interesting. I’m going to read the actual article to see how the measurements were taken, and if it’s valid or not. I’ll comment back later…