Let’s talk pre-pitch routines. Do you have one?
Most pitchers just look in, take the sign from the catcher, wind-up, throw the pitch—and then hope for good results.
It’s important to understand that having a consistent pre-pitch routine has a great deal to do with pitching relaxed and creating better results on each and every pitch.
Here was my pre-pitch routine in pro ball:
- Get relaxed and set on the rubber
- Look in and get sign from catcher
- Decide on location
- Visualize the target—focus on a dime size spot in the catcher’s mitt
- Verbalize to myself the pitch and location (“fastball, low and
- Take a deep breath to relax—and then focus on the glove
- Commit to throwing my best pitch
- Trust that pitch
- Start my delivery
Having a routine is all about getting more focused to do your job of hitting the glove more consistently.
What’s your routine? Would you change anything with mine?