What's Your Best Pitch

Your in an interview with a college recruiter, or even a pro scout, and you’re asked …“what’s your best Pitch?”

And your answer is …

Strike one

Can’t argue with Mustang21. :rofl: That said, circle change.

The next pitch, that said. Splitter

I would go with my curveball

“Fastball, because it sets everything else up.” Whether it’s your out pitch or not. that would be my reply.

Now if I’m trying to answer that like an interview question, I might say… “I don’t really have a best pitch, they all work together, my fastball sets up my other pitches and get’s me a strike when I need it. So if you need a specific pitch, I’d say my fastball. But I am confident I can use any pitch to get an out as long as I have more than one working that day.”

My bet is, based on the question as posed, that the college coach or pro scout already knows what your best pitch is. Hence, the question is designed to elicit an answer pertaining to your mindset more than your stuff, IMO.

Just a hunch

BINGO! The strike is the most important pitch in baseball. It sets the stage for everything that follows… everything that follows. If you can get that front stage and center, in a pitcher’s mindset, the rest falls pretty much in place.

Nice job Mustang21, really nice.

It’s what happens when you’ve been a coach for over thirty years

Your best pitch is the one the hitter doesn’t want you to throw. It can be different depending upon the hitter and the situation. If a hitter says, “If I get behind, I hope I don’t see a good __________.” That’s your best pitch. Also having above average control doesn’t hurt.

The cliche answers work, too. Strike one…the fastball…etc.

Interesting answer! Your best pitch may be a slider, but not if the batter picks up sliders and delivers them to the sidewalk in left field :sweat_smile: The problem with the cliche answer is that strike one is a dud when delivered after your behind 3-0! #AttacktheHitter

I think a nice strike 3 off speed pitch like a change up, splitter, fork ball or knuckleball is the best pitch

brushback :smiling_imp:
Nolan Ryan high and tight chirurgical control of the zone was HOF worthy

I think there are 3 good answers:

1. A Strike (for obvious reasons)
  2. A fastball since it sets everything up (a lot of coaches believe that you shouldnt develop any off speed until you have a solid fastball & changeup… that said curveball is acceptable… but I’ve had coaches laugh at a guy that said splitter etc.)
  3. My next one (love this answer, as it shows hustle and drive to get better)

There’s a difference between your best pitch, and your go to strike 3 pitch. Your best pitch is the one you can locate (not just throw over the plate) during 0-0 counts and 1-1 counts (the most important counts in baseball). Your best pitch will help set up your go to strike 3 pitch, or your go to “get an out” ptich. If your offspeed pitch moves late and has a ton of bite but you can’t locate it, it’s not your best pitch.

I asked that question purposely for those who are eligible for recruitment and those who have, or are, at the age of majority. Those who have, or will be shortly reaching the age of majority, will be able to enter into contracts and such.

Ok, now for the reasons of my question.

Time is a very precious commodity in this business. Regardless if it’s in the college ranks or in pro ball. From a coach’s point of view and someone from a scouting staff, there is just so much time to spend on someone, and a ton of someone’s to look at and talk to. These men and women are not interested in a lengthy game scenario, nor do they want a life story of how-what-when-and-why. What these people are interested in, is your basic savvy of you being part of their making a living. Short, sweet, and simple.

Then ONLY answer to my question is … STRIKE ONE COACH/SIR/MAM, STRIKE ONE.

Why?

It shows a basic understanding of the foundations of your position. It shows the positive mindset that doesn’t have to be explained beyond … THROW STRIKES.

Going into a lengthy, what if, is wasted time and beyond the purpose of your being talked to. Answers short, and to the point shows savvy grit that’s on the same plane with who you’re talking to. You’ll then hear, “OK…let’s move on” and more than likely a smile and a nod of the head that says … “The kid’s got his stuff together…”

Now I’m not suggesting that all the responses up to this point and beyond, are bad answers. Nope, just the opposite. They’re pretty darn good in fact.

But I wanted to bring to your attention the process of the INTERVIEW and the time constraints that orbit that environment.

So, keep your answers short and to the point so the person that you’re talking to can cover as much ground as possible and thus, get to know you better.

All of em. How is your team going to rely on you in the heat of the moment if you don’t have confidence in yourself?

Maybe my fastball, changeup or sinker, but my curve is filthy I pitched three innings yesterday and nobody came close to making contact with it.