Whats wrong with my back leg?

I need to fix this… (i think) My back leg uopn release does not turn over and come around. Instead it drags toward the first base side (i am righty) and then whips around my body. I feel like i am pushing off as hard as i can with my legs, but im not being very efficient. can anybody help? ( the 3rd image shows it)

it’s odd…in the first two pictures everything looks pretty good, and then the third one looks akward…i can’t really tell from the picture, but do you throw across your body some? it looks like it from the postion of your body in the thrid picture…i think the other pictures look pretty good

im not quite sure what you mean by throwing across my body… i do throw anywhere from staright overhand to 3/4 but never side arm…

… anyone else have any suggestions or comments… they would be GREATLY appreciated

After your release, I don’t think that it really matters much what that back leg does. It looks like in the first picture, you have it bent slightly which is good for pushing off of the rubber which you do well, even if the leg kicks back to the first baseman. If it doesn’t really bring you any discomfort and it doesn’t make you feel awkward when releasing, and if you can throw like that for strikes, it shouldn’t bother you much to change it. I mean after that, like they said, it looks like a regular follow through. I guess that after your foot leaves the ground, keep it stiff and let it fall out to your side. Focus on getting it to swing around before it has that little kick back to the first base. That’s the same bend that should be seen when your leg kicks out as seen in your third picture.

Front leg looks stiff. Don’t use the front leg to force rotation of the hips. Use the back leg. The back leg is the power leg. The front leg is there to support you upon landing.

Also, looks like you’re maybe tugging with the glove arm to force rotation of the shoulders.

A video would be nice because another problem might be your tempo.

Ok, say you draw a line perpendicular to the rubber that is directly in line with home plate and that you start with the line in the middle of your back foot. As a righty, if your front foot lands to the left(1st base side) of the line, you are striding open. If your front foot lands to the right of the line you are striding closed, and that is what throwing across your body is. That inhibits the rotation of the hips and can lead to arm problems, notably elbow problems. Landing straight (directly on the line) allows for the most efficient use of the legs and hips. It looks to me especially in the third pic that you are striding closed because it looks like your hips are pointed more towards the 3rd base line than towards home indicating that something is keeping your hips from rotating properly. If you were striding straight towards home your hips would be pointed at home plate.
Notice how in this pic of Roger Clemens, his hips have already rotated towards home as he’s releasing. Your 3rd pic is at about the same point of the delivery yet your hips are still closed off.l

" throwinched " is right ! Now after fixing that problem, youn need to stay centered (balanced ), and lower, so as your throwing hand has time to get in the released position of the ball. With your throwing hand you must reach out toward the catcher–with the ball still in hand, back foot should still be on the ground–only with the toes though( at this point ). Then after releasing the ball, the throwing hand continues down toward the left front knee/thigh. The back foot or toes–now–come off the ground naturally because of your forward progression toward the catcher. The body now should be horizontal at this point, and your eyes should have NEVER left the glove or target.

To me, what you’re describing your back leg doing is more of an indicator of something else going on - not a problem in and of itself. Some video would be appropriate.

What side of the rubber do you throw from?

i throw from the right side… and i actually have noticed that if i was to draw a line from where my toe digs into the dirt against the rubber and where my foot plant is it would continue directly at a right handed batters hips… so im not exactly striding toward home.

ill try to get video up… anyone know how to get it from a camcorder with a usb port into your computer… (i have tried connecting it with the usb cord and my computer doesnt read that anything is connected)

The Clemens pic shows something I’ve been beating to death for a while now. His entire leg, including his femur, is rotated inward. The knee hasn’t been pulled forward, as is often recommended. There is debate as to whether this is a “cause of” or a “result” of hip rotation. If you look at video of the pros, you’ll notice that the back knee/femur spins like that during hip rotation.

The point is, you’re not doing this. Continue spinning that back leg/knee and rotating the hips.

Ok, since you throw from the right side and you stride closed, and looking at your posture in the 3rd picture, I’d say the reason your back foot kicks behind you is that in order to get squared up to the target, you make a significant posture change whereby your upper half leans to the glove side. In order to make this posture change, your core needs a ballast to push against. Your back leg moving to the glove side serves as that ballast. So, it’s not the back leg that needs fixing - it’s the late posture change. To fix that, you probably need to change either your starting position on the rubber or your stride direction (or both).

thank you all very much for your feedback… ill try to get some video from our district game tomorrow on here and maybe that will bring up some other stuff…

just so im getting this correctly:

• stride direction should be a little more open?
    -right leg needs to rotate farther using the femur and shin bones as its axis?

Get that glove shoulder BACK QUICKER and that will move all that body on your glove side … so your pitching side has NO RESISTANCE to over come with your follow through.

Coach B.

And you might need to move your starting position on the rubber. The NPA teaches that you should move your starting position to get your back foot drag line to end on the centerline of the rubber. I used to move pitchers based only on stride direction to get them to stride onto the centerline instead of away from it. The intention here was to eliminate posture changes. The I’m told that in your case (stride to throwing arm side but drag line extends to glove side) that drag line strategy trumps my strategy.

Why did I remark about your glove shoulder?

A classical problem with slow shoulder exchangs is the ending posture of your stride foot.

Take a look at the very last photo. Your stride foot has GRINDED itself sideways. This means that a large percentage of your body’s energy has not be transfered to the ball … and your pitch overall.

Instead, your shoulders are collasping in on themselves… as one of your pictures shows.

Take a look at ROGER C’s picture and you’ll see his stride foot is straight and his glove shoulder is rotating well.

Coach B.