Whats this euphus pitch?

:?

The “eephus” pitch—also known as the blooper, the folly floater, the “LaLob” and many other names—is, at bottom, a slow, high-arcing curve ball that can attain heights of 20 feet or so before descending to the plate. It has been around for many years; the first known user of that pitch was Rip Sewell who had to alter his pitching delivery due to an injury and so came up with this one. It’s usually thrown straight overhand, and it can be the most difficult pitch to hit—or the easiest. Ted Williams once hit a homer off that pitch, so at that moment it was also known as the “gopher” ball—so called because when you hit it you can “go-fer” extra bases! There are some pitchers nowadays—not many—who will use it. 8)

its also called the blloper pitch and was created by rip sewell. its basically a curveball but at 50mph and 15 feet in the air. no one throws it that high anymore though. padilla pitcher for the dodgers throws it at 55mph and its about 12 feet in the air. but he says he throws it for strikes and doesnt want hitters to even swing. ike davis hit a homer off it though.

in an all star game rip sewell was daree to throw williams the eephus and he missed. but sewell being sewell threw it again to wlliams and knocked it out of the park

vinny calls it the soap bubble

I throw one. While a real eephus pitch is just a really bloopy curveball, I just take a fastball grip and chunk it into the air. its funny how when the batters swing and give me murderous looks. I smile back. Hard to throw for a strike

Well, it may be hard to throw for a called strike, but for a swing-and-miss strike it can be very effective. You’ve seen how hitters get that gleam in the eye and drool and lick their chops at the prospect of getting a nice fat pitch to hit and end up, at the least, hitting nothing but air! I used to get the same results with my “slip” pitch—a hard slider thrown with a knuckleball grip—especially when I crossfired it; the batter would swing so hard he lost his balance and fell over backward on his tush with his arms and legs (and maybe the bat too) up in the air like some overturned bug, an event which made for great hilarity among my teammates.
As you know, Rip Sewell was forced to alter his pitching delivery because of an injury, so he came up with the eephus pitch. Interestingly enough, the word “eephus” also had another meaning. Yankee ace Lefty Gomez would use that term to mean “put a little something extra on the pitch”. “Give it the old eephus,” he would say, and his moundmates would do just that—put something extra on whatever pitch they threw. 8)