Whats a good ball/strike% for a 13 YO?

im 13 and i throw 65% strikes and 35% balls. is this good or bad. what is an average for a 13 year old and an average for a magor league pitcher

I would say about 70%, on some days I can hit 85-90 but I like to be at about 65-75.

for 13 YO, 65 is probably good, I think the MLB average is close to 70.

Honestly on the days that I hit above 70% it’s either a lot of swings and balls in play or I am throwing too many strikes, I like my off speed just a little low or my knuckle curve on the tip of the plate, but swings still count for strikes.

I was watching a game the other night and they showed a stat that the MLB average was 62.5%.

I think the number you saw is probably correct, munster, but typical youth league strike zones are far more generous than MLB strike zones are, IMO.

This is purely opinion…I’d say 70% - 75% strikes would be a sign of very good performance for most 13 yo pitchers.

70% would be tremendous considering 13 is when many kids move from 46’ or 50’ to 60’. For many that’s a tough adjustment.

And as they move back and get older the umpires also get a little tighter with the zone.

Here is a link to some interesting ball\strike pct.

http://www.efastball.com/baseball/pitching/pitching-strike-to-ball-ratio/

And as they move back and get older the umpires also get a little tighter with the zone.

Here is a link to some interesting ball\strike pct.

http://www.efastball.com/baseball/pitching/pitching-strike-to-ball-ratio/[/quote]

Good link! Our goal is 67%, which may be slightly high based off of Major League pitching.

My experience is that most kids are 50-55% strikes. Of course the umpire can greatly influence that as well as overly agressive teams. Generally my expectations as a coach is that a pitcher avg 1 walk, 1 hit and 1 run earned or otherwise per inning. If he does that we have a chance to win most games.

munster thats a great link. so basicaly the average mlb pitcher is like around 63. and a good one is like 67.

Guys, I think that 70-75 % is a bit high for a 13 year old. Certainly possible, but I think a good number would be anything above 58% or so.

Well this last fall I think I was really trying to work my spots more and my strike % fell to just above 60%. I don’t know if it’s because the hitters were not as aggressive but that definitely had something to do with it. I did however have more strike outs and less balls in play.

Buwhite, I would say that the batters “not being so aggressive” has a lot to do with it. They’re being more patient at the plate, they’re waiting you out hoping for either a walk or a nice fat pitch in their wheelhouse that they can hit. So here’s where some strategic pitching comes in. You need to go after them—challenge them. Ed Lopat, when he was talking to me about strategic pitching, had this to say: “Move the ball around—high, low, inside, outside, change speeds, and stay away from the middle of the plate. Make them go after what you want them to hit.” Sound advice, whether one is a fireballer or a snake-jazzer. And take careful note of what they’re doing at the plate. For example: you have a plate-crowder up there at bat. Jam him. If the batter is standing way back in the batter’s box you can go after him with an outside pitch. And if you have a decent breaking pitch, whatever it is, use it. Or feed him nothing but changeups, in varying locations, even at different speeds. You don’t need to worry about striking out batters; if you make them put the ball in play you’ll get some nice outs. Lopat told me that too. He knew I was mainly a strikeout pitcher, but he said, "You have some good infielders behind you—let them do some of the work. Let them get a few outs for you now and then."
If you can’t overpower the hitters, outthink them. 8)

Just for comparison, here’s the numbers from a team of 13-14YOs my son played on in 2001. That team was an extremely successful tournament team made up of some of the best players in NorCal.

In 182 IPs, there were 2,976 pitches, 1,077 balls, 589 BIP strikes, and 1,310 other strikes, for a 63.8% strike percentage, with a 55% 1st pitch strike percentage. Of the 4 pitchers who threw 10 innings or more, the best in each category happened to be my son at 69.1% and 64.1%. The next was a boy at 66.9% and 57.6%. The next was 63% and 53.3%. The worst was a boy with 57.7% and 47.72%.

Compare that to our last year’s JV team at 62.5% and 56.1% with the best being 68.5% and 62,2%. And our V for 4 years at 62.5% and 55.2%, with the best being 63.8% and 62.7%.

From what I’ve seen and have recorded, on the big field, anything over 63% strikes and 55% 1st pitch strikes, is pretty good. When you start seeing pitchers up above 65% for more than just a few innings, the kid is way above average.

Now a comment on that FanGraph link. When it says 38% were called balls and 68% called strikes, that’s really misleading. There’s no doubt that 68% were strikes, but its totally inconceivable that they were all called strikes. The way MLB computes strike percentages, any ball not swung at and called as being in the strike zone is a strike, as are any pitches swung or bunted at.

Do these numbers take into account the following situation, and if so how?

A pitcher delivers a total of 15 pitches to one batter:

two pitches are called balls
two pitches are called strikes - caught looking
eleven pitches are fouled off.

What would the strike % be for this pitcher?

Coach B.

[quote=“Coach Baker”]Do these numbers take into account the following situation, and if so how?

A pitcher delivers a total of 15 pitches to one batter:

two pitches are called balls
two pitches are called strikes - caught looking
eleven pitches are fouled off.

What would the strike % be for this pitcher? [/quote]

I’m assuming you’re asking about 1 at bat, not multiple ABs. In that light, I’m going to assume you’re asking about the fouls and not necessarily worried about the number of pitches. Because if that, I’m going to change your question just a bit in order to be able to use my data to give you an answer. You see, I don’t track pitches past the 10th pitch. I know there are at bats where it happens, but to be honest, it happens so infrequently, it isn’t worth the time and resources for me to track pitches past the 10th. In almost 15 years of keeping score, I haven’t had it happen a hand full of times I can remember, so I figure any errors because of it are negligible. :wink:

There were 12 out of 7,226 at bats that went to 10 pitches. I’ll list them below with their strike percentages.

BSBSSBSSSW 60% BBSSSSSSBK 70% BBSSSBSSSK 70% BBSSSSBSSB 60% BSSSSSSSSH 80% SBSSBSSSBW 60% SBSSSSBBSO 70% BBSSSBSSSH 70% BSSSSSSSSO 90% SBSSSBSBSO 70% BSSSSBBSSW 60% BSBSSBSSSW 60%

What I do is enter every pitch in sequence. For the last pitch, if it’s a K or a W, I just enter an “S” or a “B” and the program computes a “K” or “W”. For the other AB ending events, I enter a H-hit, O-out/fc, E-roe, or N-did not finish an at bat but was a strike, that the program knows are strikes. That would be something like a strike but a runner was thrown out to end the inning. Or, an X-hbp or Y-did not finish an at bat but was a ball that it knows are balls.

The program also computes balls/strikes thrown when the count is even, when the pitcher is ahead, and when he’s behind. Also, it computes the number of back to back strikes and balls, and when there’s 3 in a row of either.

As for the strike percentage though, I use the same decision criteria that everyone I know does. A pitch is only counted as a ball if the umpire declares it a ball and the batter doesn’t swing, or it hits the batter. Everything else is a strike. And that’s why one has to be very careful when discussing strike percentages.

To some degree it gives an indication of a pitcher’s command/accuracy, but its really something much different. My old friend Red, says it’s a combination showing how well a pitcher DOES put a ball in the strike zone, plus how well he makes the hitters BELIEVE the ball will be in the strike zone. :wink:

Its also why people need to be very careful about doing something based only on the umpires counts.

I’m not interested in assumptions , nor am I interested in what you would do…

My only interest is in the question itself.

What would be the strike % with the question “as is”.

Coach b.

13 / 15 = 86.7% rounded to 1 decimal place.

I owe scorekeeper a big apology for reacting the way I did on a recent question here.
My Mrs brought this to my attention while glancing over my shoulder. Seems as if a mood swing got the better of me and I directed a quick snap of poor judgement, no make that very poor judgement in the direction of a man that deserved better.

To all that viewed that posting, on my part, I owe you all an apology.
This information base is the substance of reason and deliberate exchanges of factual matter, ideas and experiences that promote and help a new generation. I, especially, should have known better.

Coach B.