Whatever happened to Hard Work?

I was just doing my normal surfing today and I was really looking at how many people want to get good overnight. I think this is a very good website for one and I recognize some names from other good sites. I also like the fact that steve is not bias to any training methods and has an open mind.

The son was your average 10 year old who just wanted to get better. Like any other dad I purchased books and DVD’s and found a good quality instructor here in So Cal. Anyhow three years later and alot of hard work went into what he is today and there were no gimmicks or tricks, just hard work and determination, factor in desire as well.

I wanted to also talk about a situation that I have seen personally. The son is pitching very well in Fall Ball and many parents want to know how and why he is throwing well. His velocity is up and his control is improving. So I was approached by a parent and they wanted some “secrets”. Well I told him that we long toss about twice a week and throw a Bullpen once a week or sometimes twice , depending if games and practices conflict with one another. I also told him that if the kids mechanics are bad to not even do long toss or bully sessions but to Videotape him and watch to see if his mechanics are sound. So after a few weeks his kid is complaining of a sore arm. I videotaped his kid and noticed that his kid dips his elbow below his shoulder line and he pushes the ball. This is a recipe for disaster when you mix in long toss!!!

Anyhow I think the dad wanted his kid to get good real quick and he may wind up hurting his kid in the long run as opposed to helping him. :roll:

How does the saying go, the harder I work the luckier I get?

With kids it’s not about working them into the ground, but having them understand that no one approaches their potential without discipline and dedication. As their capacity to handle more work increases physically and mentally you can add to what the are doing. The difference between a good pitcher and great pitcher can be a small percentage of improvement in mechanics, power, endurance, conditioning and confidence. Discipline and hard work brings the add bonus of improving a kid’s belief that his preparation will make him successful and since, “expectations effect outcomes”, he will be more successful. :smiley:

I can’t answer anything about long toss and how one should throw. But I can tell you that dedication and a lot of hard work really is what makes a player improve… I printed what is written below and hung it on the wall at home because I feel it is so very inspirational…especially for those kids out there who give it their ALL, who are so very dedicated to the game of baseball. Just thought I would post it here and see what anyone else thinks. (this is from Steve Ellis’ website), once I read it I thought how very true and what is cool is my son reads it everyday and actually answers yes to all of the questions…and he is just turning 11. (from a very proud Mom.)

"If you’re not dedicated to becoming better both on and off the field.
That’s something no coach, instructor or parent in the world can get you to do. It has to come from within.
At the end of each day, ask yourself if you’ve done everything you could do to become a better, more complete pitcher.
Ask yourself these types of questions:
“Did you throw or take the day off?”
“Did you complete all of your conditioning and training, or did you settle with taking the easy way out by blowing part of it off because nobody was watching?”
“Did you think about the nutritional value of the “energy” you consumed in the foods and meals that you ate?”
“Did you learn something new in practice, in the game or from observing your teammates or opponents?”
“Did you work on your baseball pitching mechanics without throwing the baseball on the pitcher’s mound or in front of a mirror?”
“Did you work on ways to stay poised and composed despite errors in the field behind you or booted calls from the umpire behind home plate?”

You get the point. You know the kinds of questions you need to ask yourself!
If you have, then you’ve done one heck of a job, and you can be proud of yourself.
I don’t care if you’re making $15 million in a Major League organization or you get cut from your Little League team.
I don’t care if you’re a Division I pitching coach or a mom who coaches her son from the bleachers.
If you approach life like you approach your baseball, you will be successful.
Pitching is fun. It’s why we all go out there and lay it on the line. Challenging yourself to find out how good you can be at whatever it is you decide to do."