What would you do and why

Came across this article

bout Stras and his innings and whether or not to shut him down and found it interesting.

Thought I’d ask on here what your thought process would be on this situation.

Let’s hear it…

The Stephen Strasburg saga is like the rippling effect of the a rock tossed into a pond – wider and wider rings that go in all directs, but, lose their tide the further out of sight they go. Stay with me on this……

The essential of all Stephen Strasburg’s out there, is first being scouted then all the rippling effects that come after that, based on expectations – that is, rippling effects. Expectations that depend so much on the organization’s think-tank all up and down the A’s level to the Majors. Then there’s the man’s ability to think for himself more and more as he progresses up the ladder. Thinking for oneself is evidence of either a true professional or a pain in the caboose. Either way though, in the thinking for oneself department, I don’t see much of that in Stephen. Now I don’t follow the man in detail, just outtakes as he travels as a journeyman in pro ball. Adding to my last sentence, don’t go asking me for tick-for-tack on my observation as state here. It’s just the way it is.

Recently, Stephen was taken out of a game because of the day’s heat – I think he went three (3) innings or so. Good move, personnel wise. Not so good if his replacement is not carrying the same expectations to produce. Ah, there’s one of the pitfalls of painting a man bigger than life – job security gets real scarce with those ripple effects I mentioned above really lose their tide mark when they don’t go out of sight. I know firsthand. Been shown the parking lot with a peach basket holding my personals when I really missed the mark on a man (that’s another story in itself).

There are no magic incantations, charms or rituals that can manage a pitcher. at any and every level of pro ball. There’s just too much in the mix that effect the human condition. So, every organization does it’s best to do what it thinks is right for THEM. Notice I didn’t end that sentence with …. What’s best for the player. Therefore, if Stephen can be projected to go, oh 100 to a 150 innings during THIS season, so be it. He and his coaching staff better tighten their laces and meet that goal. On the other hand, if the human experience proves true – as it usually does, and what can go wrong usually does, and if politics and personal vendettas pop up, as they usually do, all that planning 100-150 innings for THIS season MAY go the way of the Dodo. All in all, this should prove interesting.

All I know is, if all the people that put comments and print to a pitcher’s careers, verses those who do it in real time, they’d be elsewhere making big, big money – including me. On that note, I don’t $$$.

I’m sure I didn’t contribute much to this subject – but there it is.

Coach B.

That Rizzo (the GM) said the decision will be based solely on the “eye test” made me laugh. In what other industry do you subject an asset that is worth $20MM+ in surplus value to the “eye test?”

Baseball really is medieval in so many regards.

In an industry that operates in a monopoly.

[quote=“kyleb”]That Rizzo (the GM) said the decision will be based solely on the “eye test” made me laugh. In what other industry do you subject an asset that is worth $20MM+ in surplus value to the “eye test?”

Baseball really is medieval in so many regards.[/quote]

What would you suggest that they do? What method? Is there there medical test that could take the guess work out of it?

We’re dealing with the human condition with all parties concerned.

Pitchers
are a sensitive asset to inventory day after day and throughout the season. Heading into the post season is the riskiest time of the year for a man – rookie and vet alike. Volatility is a constant companion in all directions – at home and on the road. Guess work is a clean way of saying … “we’re using the best techniques and professionals in the business…”

Coaches are constantly reporting to the front office types, managing and guarding what they say to
the press, and putting the best face on a bad situation. Pitchers are their biggest headache. Temperamental at times, moody, and symptoms of depression are a constant worry. But, never ever admit that while having a phone conference with the GM.

Ownerships are people who are not use to hearing the word NO. They’re association with others in their strata of economic and life style norms are so ego based that failures with anything they’re associated with is simply not acceptable. That by the way includes family, pets, the cars they own, and most everything else for that matter. Talk about trying to read the folks that pay the bills !!!

Medical tests are usually a waste of time and money – UNLESS there’s evidence without question, injury wise. Again, the human condition with professional athletes - pitches, is so if-ee at times.

So, your question … “ what would you suggest that they do?” is the million dollar question. Unfortunately, because of all the parties involved and all that orbits those people and their agendas and wants, I’d say the best phrase that would sum things up would be…… WING IT THE BEST YOU CAN. For anyone in this business to compete in over 160 games, moves up and down the ladder throughout the system (A,AA,AAA), DL lists galore, player’s union, agents of all kinds, trailer loads of cash for some and a bell ringer with a bucket hanging from a tripod for others, I’m amazed we have any pitchers at all by October.

I really got off the topic. Sorry about that.

Coach B.

I feel like if they are set on resting him, then they should make him a reliever and gradually work him back into a starter for the playoffs. I would hate to see him shut down for the playoffs.

You know what happens when there are too many cooks in the kitchen? Well—it’s the same on the playing field. The manager says one thing, the coach says another, the GM says something else—and what about the poor slob on the mound who doesn’t know what’s happening? I believe that to shut down a pitcher just because he’s reached his pitch or innings limit—and possibly prevent him from participating in the playoffs, should his team reach that stage—is just plain wrong. Managers, GMs, coaches, you name it, should let the guy pitch as long as he’s able and take him out of the game if he’s tiring or has pulled a muscle or something like that—but to shut him down just because? Might as well send him back down to the minors. :o

In an industry that operates in a monopoly.[/quote]

So true :slight_smile:

Some very interesting and in depth explanations

It’s official they are shutting him down

and they claim he won’t be Pitching in the post season…

Maybe just maybe things are starting to slowly change?

In an industry that defines the very meaning of “capitalism” at its best and at its worst, it is naive to think that anything motivates sitting Strasburg other than the financial bottom line. Sure it is nice to attribute management with the “caring” test and all this talk about protecting the arm has a bright side and a dark side. The bright side is that the Nats appear to have gotten the memo from Dr. Andrews and company; the dark side is that had not the Nats laid all their fortunes at the feet of Strasburg just before he was injured ; had he been an average MLB pitcher, he’d be competing in the playoffs. Right now, no other pitchers have the “opportunity” to be treated with such “concern” for their welfare.

Strasburg’s arm is more valuable to the management on the shelf than it is in a division, league or World Series Championship Game. The dynamics of finances in Major League Baseball have gotten to the point where the very object of the game, “winning” is lower on the list than making a profit. You can shelf his arm, but how do you sit his competitive drive? Right now, I rather think Strasburg is wishing he’d been an average run of the mill draft pick. He’d be playing the game he loves at least instead of sitting in the dugout like the tenth man on a little league team.

While I agree that the Nats may be more concerned with protecting Stras than chancing injury in a playoff run. The decision would have been a lot harder to come to if it weren’t for the other four guys in the starting rotation.

That being:
Gonzales with 17 wins
Zimmerman who is probably one of the hottest pitcher in the NL
Detweiler with a 1.93 ERA since the All Star break
Jackson a solid number 3 or 4 guy on any roster

Also keep in mind that the entire rotation is an average ERA of around 3.20, without Stras.

I can totally agree with your points Dino it very well could be all smoke and mirrors.

With those 4 guys in the rotation behind Stras I’d be comfortable sitting him too.

I’d like to know why Mr. Rizzo thinks there is a correlation between the number of innings pitched and arm health (injury prevention). And secondly, why 160 (or whatever figure he is set on) is the magic number above which you should not go. Does he have a specific study or piece of evidence to refer to. Talk about the dark ages. Maybe they should put leeches on the kids arm to suck out the lactic acid!

I could spend alot of time refuting the innings pitched metric, but why bother. The point is that not all innings are created equal. I have 2 cars that I drive exactly 10,000 miles. Is the wear and tear on each car equal??? Not if I drive one car in 60 degree weather on the highway. And the other I drive in 100 degree weather in the sand dunes of the Mohave desert.

I think this is sort of funny.

If they sit him - who cares? Obviously they have a damn good reason to stop him.

I think the innings pitched number (160) is something for the fans to grasp without much given to the thought process, and at the same time a springboard for sportswriters to sell tomorrow’s rag.

I had a pitcher that wasn’t going to be with us very long. His ability was way beyond our numbers to support, much less back up. But, there he was. He came to us via the wheeling and dealing process and a lot was in between the lines in the confidential department.

Into the middle of the third season, he was packed up and sat in the pen. Finally, the locals couldn’t stand it anymore, much less the small town rag. “What’s the deal… how come …” made the rounds, and if that wasn’t enough, what the town rag could print from fact they made up as they went along.

Finally, the bright-lights came down with a beauty! Ready for this?
He was maturing.” Yes, that’s right… he was maturing.

I gotta hand it to the guys in the funny-n-jolly-activities department – this was good… very good. It was deliveried with such a convinencing tone, facial expressions and all, that few if any fans ( all loyal 600 of them at the time) didn’t want to seem…. DUH! And the local rag picked it up and did us even one better … boy into man kind of stuff.

Now I’m not at all sure if this has anything to do with Stras … but the 160 game thing is kinda far fetched as a road marker, but then again, pro ball is kind of a stretch at that. But, it did fit neatly into a short sound bit and a one liner on the sport’s page.

Coach B.

I don’t know if the San Francisco Giants management is paying any attention but I’d come out and tell the media that Lincecum is going to do the same thing that Strasburg is doing. At least in his case, he’s got the bad stats to back up the “concern” for his health.

Now there’s a guy that REALLY needs to take a seat! Of course, two Cy Youngs under his belt; he’s already made the investors tons of money. There’s no more risk involved, just milking him for all he’s worth. It’s funny, all the kids wanted to be Barry Zito, then it was Kazmir, and Lincecum. Now, who or what is the flavor of the day? Do pitchers really wear out or do they just fade away? You know what. If you gave me 4.5 million, I’d sing the national anthem and Take Me Out to the Ballgame in the seventh inning dressed in a yellow chicken suit without complaint. :twisted:

Lincecum has been good since the All-Star Break. I think his issues were mechanical more than anything. FB velocity has been close to where it was in the past. Here are his stats since the All-Star break for this year…

IP 60.2
H 56
BB 21
SO 58
HR 6
ERA 3.26

They have said his trouble is FB location - off-speed pitches are as good as they ever have been. His ability to throw early strikes seems to be improving.