What would you consider strong

I just have a quick question, is there some sort of chart that says what exactly each weight class should be able to lift to consider strong?

There is some good info in this article by Mike Boyle:

This is a common one - Mark Rippetoe’s Strength Standards chart (1RM):

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf

However, I would advise strongly against putting yourself in a box. For example, I am BW 220 with the following lifts that I train with any regularity:

SQ: 455 (Advanced)
DL: 505 (Advanced)
BP: 225 (Intermediate)

It’s tempting to say “Well I’m strong enough according to this chart, so I’m good! Just need to focus on other stuff.” That’s the danger of these charts. I still work hard on all of my lifts, even if the gains don’t come as quickly as they used to.

I understand Kyle, I was simply looking for guidelines (not set rules) as to levels of strength. From the judge of this I have a long way to go strength wise. I’m around untrained to novice in all of the major lifts right now.

BTW whats the difference between a press and bench press? I’m guessing a press is like a overhead press?

[quote=“Priceless”]I understand Kyle, I was simply looking for guidelines (not set rules) as to levels of strength. From the judge of this I have a long way to go strength wise. I’m around untrained to novice in all of the major lifts right now.

BTW whats the difference between a press and bench press? I’m guessing a press is like a overhead press?[/quote]

Yes, the Press is a standing overhead barbell press.

And we all started somewhere. Don’t worry.

[quote=“kyleb”][quote=“Priceless”]I understand Kyle, I was simply looking for guidelines (not set rules) as to levels of strength. From the judge of this I have a long way to go strength wise. I’m around untrained to novice in all of the major lifts right now.

BTW whats the difference between a press and bench press? I’m guessing a press is like a overhead press?[/quote]

Yes, the Press is a standing overhead barbell press.

And we all started somewhere. Don’t worry.[/quote]

It just means I have more room for improvement. :twisted:

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I envy those who are able to put 15 pounds/week on their squat/deadlift/bench. Those days were so simple…