What to shoot for

http://www.baseballwebtv.com/Tourney/Tournaments.aspx?eventid=284

This is from the last tournament my son performed at, all I can say is wow!
The guy that threw 97 from the Braves scout team we didn’t get to see but he’s got a lefty team mate that throws 93 and we saw him. The kid from the War Hawks that hit that dinger was my son’s only k victim the next day.

All of these players are 18 and under, though I will say the majority are on the 19 side of 18 and already in college. If you want to know what it’ll look like fellas…here it is.

Perhaps I didn’t word this in a way in which was condusive of discussion…
If we can take a second from Ristar mecho-tweaking :wink:

I’m curious to the younger posters, the Ristars and Fballthrower, Gotty…oh man I’m going to miss someone I’m sure…Do you guys picture yourselves competing at such an event? Would you even know how to go about getting there? To the older guys closer to that age or there, do you see attending an event like this as something beneficial or just a money/time waster. Hammer and Dusty what are your thoughts about the necessity of this form of travel ball vs other forms?
What about you Steven? Did you attend such a function and do you think it has any validity?
Just curious…

jd,
We just go to our fall ball games to see that stuff. We had a lefty throwing from 89-94 on a JUGS against us this weekend. He’s already signed with a major D1. Given that my son was fouling off pitches from an 86-87 sophmore pitcher due to being under them I’m glad he didn’t face the 89-94 guy in his first at bat. In a few weeks we play a team with a pretty good shot at being national champs this coming season. One of our senior pitchers has already signed with a D1 and the other one is just waiting on grades. We usually face a bit stiffer competition in league than in fall ball though.

OK, I’ll admit there might be just a little more depth back there, but we do see some of the best on a regular basis.

My son wants to hit 90 this season, which would be a 5 mph increase. I’m hoping for working at 83 to 85 by the end of the season which would be 2 or 3 mph faster than he is now. I don’t think it is out of the question for him to hit 90 next season and work at 86 or 87 but he’d have to be a heck of an effective pitcher to get invited to something like that at those speeds and there’s no guarantee he’ll ever reach them.

If things work out better than expected and my son is good enough to play in something like that I doubt we’d make the trip. At that point you are going to have a college scholarship locked up and things would have to change more than I could imagine to consider the pro route.

So you figure the geographic blessing of SoCal has it covered…humm…And A big AttaBoy To Cason for making such outstanding progress…I sure appreciate the painful journey you’ve shared with us…I know you’ve had some tough times and your log has been a real treat and learning process. Do you get a diversity of scouting…say eastern teams or say Texas or are you guys the minor leagues of the Cal St. Fullertons of the world…not that they wouldn’t be an “A” list school like Stanford or SC or the Az schools? It sure must be nice to have the kind of program you’ve described, would you call it typical? From what I gather you guys have a huge pool to draw talent, are you up against private schools also? I can’t say we’d pull chocks and head for Ca. either, traveling this region is costly enough. I suspect some of the big Tampa and Miami schools are similar in the programs they offer.

we played in the world underclassmen tournament at ft. meyers. it was a great event (also part of our arm strain cause we over did it). if you have the money it’s some of the best stuff you’ll see (next to the area code games). if gas stays at $3.00 plus i think it will affect summer ball traveling and it looks like it will. lots of teams will start to see the same local teams stay in local area tournaments.
you need to see the best pitching you can when you reach the 15 and above age divisions. that’s where they live, the big events (battle of the south, ft cobb, super nit’s etc).

Yeah I will definitely have a tough time because of where I live as a young player. There is however a great oppurtunity to be looked at in this event in my town.

The Weber State University always comes out to host a clinic for kids from ages 6-18. They separate us into groups and it actually takes place twice a year. If you impress somebody there they may take a good look at you for college possibilities. I remember the last one I went to (pre-pitching days) I did some work on OF and 1B with them and I usually get individual lesson because hardly anybody in the older groups goes. The manager of the team complimented me for my fielding abilities. So maybe the next one when I go for pitching I can get better and maybe get some looks at the butterfly.

I really don’t see myself going pro or anything but, hey if I can I will play baseball at Weber State. Otherwise I can try for Div. 3 at UVSU in Orem, Utah. If neither of those work out, University of Wyoming is an option as it’s a club sport for them. I would have a good shot there.

I wish I still lived in Utah.

[quote]I’m curious to the younger posters, the Ristars and Fballthrower, Gotty…oh man I’m going to miss someone I’m sure…Do you guys picture yourselves competing at such an event? Would you even know how to go about getting there? ?
[/quote]

JD - I just turned 14 and I am working hard on becoming the best pitcher I can become. In Tennessee (where I live) we have a kid named Sonny Gray coming out of the same district (different school) that produced David Price. This kid throws in the mid 90s I believe - anyways TSSAA (the high school athletic rule making body) rules didn’t allow him to compete in a national showcase game. Basically my understanding is he couldn’t compete because the school year had already started (early August). I don’t know if it hurt him or not because yesterday he signed with/committed to Vanderbilt (David Price’s alma mater). If I ever get that good I would go play in a game like that in a heart beat provided it didn’t jeopardize me playing my Senior year in high school.

jd,
SoCal can be a blessing and a curse. There’s a lot of great talent out here and the very good talent can get lost in the shuffle, especially playing in our league which year in and year out is one of the best in the nation. The kid I’ve mentioned who was kept on JV as a junior would have been the ace of the varsity staff on over 90% of HS teams in the nation, but he was definitely “only” the number 2 or number 3 pitcher in the program at our school that season.

The problem is that we don’t see college coaches at games. So unless a scout refers a player to a college coach one has to go the showcase or college camp route to be seen by college coaches. The type of event you were talking about gets the very best talent, although a few lesser teams do work their way in. If you are good enough to start on one of the top teams in those events then you probably already have a scholarship locked up and are playing for higher stakes.

As far as competition goes we do get strong competition in fall ball and especially during league. In the first 3 weeks of fall ball this season we play last year’s Los Angeles city section champs and runners up and the previous year’s champs. One of those teams has been national champs multiple times and given they play in a relatively weak league should make a run at it again this year.

“The kid I’ve mentioned who was kept on JV as a junior would have been the ace of the varsity staff on over 90% of HS teams in the nation,”

Well the reason for this thread is I’m feeling like I’d like to break into some comfort zones…for example Pustulio and Kid Mullin…If we can identify an end goal…College, JUCO, CC, Club Team…and we can get the kid to assess openly and honestly where his skills stack…we can all work with them to develop a plan…check out Dusty, he’s obviously been to some of the quality tourneys, even if we simply publish a team listing link and let the kid do the rest we could be of great service. I’m just seeing us immerse in mechanics discussion and I’m not seeing kids determine a goal, make plans and move toward it. I like to point out Centerfield as a guy who at one point was willing to accept less than his dream…really just because he wasn’t provided just a little directed encouragement and made aware that he can change destiny…I look at the logs of him and Ibarber…and I want the young guys to get a little “uncomfortable” and confront just what it is they want out of our art…My eldest did it for socializing fun, thats great! My youngest wants to go for it and he is, we have a plan and a goal. I know that is the only way the kids who we deem to assist on their path will reach most of the lofty spots…97mph wonders are there but I’d say maybe 10 today in America at 18 or under…the others have this great huge competition to get the rest. It drops in echilon from skill and speed on down, but first you have to know how and where to go and jiggle the chain. Is this the only way? Why of course not you are a fine example…blessing and curse…What I saw at this tournament, that I haven’t seen in any other place in 40 years around the game, was World Series Rings, I’ve seen one other ring up close and in person, at this place every single guy seemed to be sporting one…that means professional team scouting, I don’t know where else a kid under 18 can get seen by this level and volume of scout. As for the already wrapped up scholarships, yes many have signed, that kid who throws 97 ought to get an insurance policy :wink: , but my son for example would be seen at best by local schools or CC’s if we left it to his school program (They had not one scout attend their games last year…I assure you it will be much different this year). We (My son and I) felt sure that he could compete at the highest levels so we set about finding an opportunity to test his skills against the best of the best, by the grace of God and sheer determination he was able to prove his worth as a 17 yr old playing 18 and under tourney’s. I just want to be able to help guys who really want and believe they should get there with the reference material that could vault them a little closer to that if possible.

One of the best locations for the reference material is the HSBBWEB. Lot’s of recruiting/showcase info and a lot of members whose sons have gone through the process, some to end after HS, some to play in college, some to play in the pros and some to make the show.

You are so right. Hsbbweb is where I peeled the Jupiter hi-lights.

Lefty from braves scout team is a headcase and very wild. He has a good arm, but a bad attitude and no control.

He dominated Jupiter the two innings I saw him throw. Do you know him? Or played against him? He did have that sort of Rob Dibble kind of edge. I seen some pretty jinky pitchers, this guy wasn’t Mark the Bird nuts…I think that a team with good bat discipline could give him some competition. He had 93/94 mph gas so I’d recone you’d get a pretty good jelly leg if he came up and in :shock:
I will say his hook wasn’t impressive, but I’d bet even money he’s going D-1 likely as a closer.

[quote=“jdfromfla”]He dominated Jupiter the two innings I saw him throw. Do you know him? Or played against him? He did have that sort of Rob Dibble kind of edge. I seen some pretty jinky pitchers, this guy wasn’t Mark the Bird nuts…I think that a team with good bat discipline could give him some competition. He had 93/94 mph gas so I’d recone you’d get a pretty good jelly leg if he came up and in :shock:
I will say his hook wasn’t impressive, but I’d bet even money he’s going D-1 likely as a closer.[/quote]

Yea, he sure does throw hard. He loses control of his emotions when things aren’t going right though. And you’re right, his curveball isn’t too great.

I was speaking more about his attitude in general though. I played with him at a local invite only showcase and could hear him talking about everyone and just tearing them apart.

By the way, he has committed to Arkansas in case you didn’t know, but I wouldn’t guess he will end up seeing a day of college.

P.S. In that showcase he threw 2 innings, 4-6 BB(?) 2 runs. Not a good outing by any means.

Well one thing I know…our sport has a way of teaching humility to the uber-proud…can happen in the blink of an eye…Does the name Rocker mean anything here?

Interesting points, jd.
Did anyone see "The Final Season?"
A small town in Iowa won 20 state championships over a 25 year period. The movie is about their last one before merging with a larger school district.
At the end of the movie in the credits they shed a little light on the players. Of all the players over that 25 year period, half of them played college ball. Half. From a little town of 500 people.
IMHO there’s no reason why any of these youngsters on this forum can’t have college ball as a reasonable goal. They have the interest in improvement that it takes.
Pitching a baseball is a skill that can be learned. It requires much practice, but it’s a skill none the less. Better athletes can have an easier time learning the skill, but it doesn’t mean everyone has to be Randy Johnson from the get go.

Cheers and best wishes for success to all!!

O

I saw “The Final Season” I loved that movie. It did give a little bit of encouragement.

Yes, I did these showcases – Blue & Gray Classic at Wake Forest, Top 96 in New Hampshire, etc. Got some offers out of them, actually. But on the whole, I really felt they weren’t that useful. Same with pro tryout camps, honestly. They’re sausage fests. The best exposure comes from playing high school and summer league ball, like American Legion.

Do you know if any scouts are in Wyoming or Utah anywhere?

…sausage fests? :shock:

Remind me to stay away from showcases.