What to eat to get stronger

Hey I just want to know what I should eat to get stronger while I’m in the weight room during the off-season and what to eat during the season.

The key to maximizing strength gain is simply eating nutrient-dense foods immediately following a strength-training or pitching session. Typically in the 30-45 minutes following the activity.

During the fall of my junior year in college, the same school year I was drafted by the Oakland A’s in the 12th round, I went to the International Performance Institute in Bradenton, Fla. for one week. There, I worked directly with a sports nutritionist, who said the single most important meal of the day for developing strength is the one that immediately followed a workout.

So, from that point on, I always consumed something after a workout. Usually it was 400-600 calories, of which 300-400 were carbohydrate calories, 100 were protein calories (25-30 grams) and 100 were fat calories (approximately 10 grams).

Sometimes the meal consisted of a protein shake with a banana, milk and ice cubes (if time was short between a workout and class). Most of the time, however, I ate an all-natural peanut butter sandwich on wheat bread with all-natural jelly and had a glass of milk. (The all-natural peanut butter has no trans fat.)

In terms of “power meals”… there isn’t just one. But the key is: You’ve got to eat – and eat nutritiously – after a workout!

In terms of “power meals”… there isn’t just one. But the key is: You’ve got to eat – and eat nutritiously – after a workout![/quote]

that is definitly the key, I know our coaches here make us eat peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches (never asked if they were all natural though :smiley: ) but eating healthy is the key and avoding cokes and fats (or keep them to a minimum) protein I have heard is what you want to consume and carbs.

Pastas and Fish/Chicken are the way I go after I get done pitching a game and the day before a game

Peanut butter sandwiches are great for after lifting like Ryan said. My weight training coach a guy that holds all tackling record in his college and was about to get drafted then blew out his knee. This guy is about 6’3 and 295lbs and just solid muscle. He told me that peanut butter is the best thing. Its high in protein which helps the muscles develop and grow. He said in college he would just each the stuff with just a spoon and chow down. He also said guys would use baby powder on his team they would mix it in with ice cream and eat it. I personally never have tried it but he said it worked for them. But the meals Ryan said are great to eat before and after a game also. Just eat healthy and cut down on pop/soda/coke drinks.

ive been to the IMG academies in bradenton. our school is the only high school baseball team to go every year, nd we did that IPI stuff, but no1 ever mentioned eating after workouts. Our IPI trainer looked alot like Arod although we knew it wasnt him

Protein works well.

Chocolate Milk (thanks kyleb), peanut butter, bananas. wow i add the same flavor muscle milk and its pretttttyyyy good.

No problem. What you said are perfect post-workout (PWO) foods.

Steven’s advice is spot-on, of course. :slight_smile: It’s tough to beat a protein shake and a peanut butter sandwich with a banana. Great blend of healthy fats, carbs, and protein.

I forgot to add throw it all in a blender and mix it. WOW AWESOME

[quote=“Steven Ellis”]The key to maximizing strength gain is simply eating nutrient-dense foods immediately following a strength-training or pitching session. Typically in the 30-45 minutes following the activity.

During the fall of my junior year in college, the same school year I was drafted by the Oakland A’s in the 12th round, I went to the International Performance Institute in Bradenton, Fla. for one week. There, I worked directly with a sports nutritionist, who said the single most important meal of the day for developing strength is the one that immediately followed a workout.

So, from that point on, I always consumed something after a workout. Usually it was 400-600 calories, of which 300-400 were carbohydrate calories, 100 were protein calories (25-30 grams) and 100 were fat calories (approximately 10 grams).

Sometimes the meal consisted of a protein shake with a banana, milk and ice cubes (if time was short between a workout and class). Most of the time, however, I ate an all-natural peanut butter sandwich on wheat bread with all-natural jelly and had a glass of milk. (The all-natural peanut butter has no trans fat.)

In terms of “power meals”… there isn’t just one. But the key is: You’ve got to eat – and eat nutritiously – after a workout![/quote]

Back before my three back surgeries, my weightlifting/nutrition guru and training partner advocated a whey protein shake mixed with honey immediately after the workout. I ingested about 50 g of protein and 100 g of carbs (honey) IMMEDIATELY post work out (and i mean mix it up before you start and drink it IMMEDIATELY post workout…sometimes i would even start sipping on it while i finished up last set or two), and then about an hour later a normal whole food meal ( for me another 50 g of protein, usually albacore tuna, and another 75 or so g of carbs… probably sweet potatoes)

60g of vanilla whey
4 servings of peanut butter
1 banana
6-7 strawberries
1 scoop chocolate ice cream
5 cups of milk

And mix it all in a BIG blender.

[quote=“wwRHP”]60g of vanilla whey
1 banana
6-7 strawberries
5 cups of milk

And mix it all in a BIG blender.[/quote]

who in the world is capable of finishing that in one sitting?
Nearly 2,000 calories!

Break that up into a breakfast and a post workout or pre bedtime shake over the course of the day and sounds awesome!

I prefer to eat muscle.

[quote=“LankyLefty”][quote=“wwRHP”]60g of vanilla whey
1 banana
6-7 strawberries
5 cups of milk

And mix it all in a BIG blender.[/quote]

who in the world is capable of finishing that in one sitting?
Nearly 2,000 calories!

Break that up into a breakfast and a post workout or pre bedtime shake over the course of the day and sounds awesome![/quote]

Lol, yea i know its alot.

One night i wanted something more for a post workout shake so i pretty much threw everything i had in my fridge/freezer/cupboard/house. Downed all that along with a small steak.

It tastes surprisingly good, and all you want to do is sleep after you drink it.

Most of what has been posted so far is great advice. As a professional pitcher, I’ve been working with a personal trainer with my workouts and diets for the past 4 years. Here are a few tips I’ve picked up over the years.

Always have protein available in one form or another immed. following a workout. (I drink a protein shake mixed with Gatorade powder and 5gs of glutamine)

Follow your workout shake an hour later with complex carbs (think wheat bread, pasta, and/or sweet potatoes)

After a workout, your body NEEDS simple sugars (carbs) as much as they need protein (hence, the gatorade mix with my protein shake)

The other time your body needs simple sugars is right when you wake up because it has been in a catobolic “sleep” state all night and needs to be jump started.

Get your anti-oxidants in your system everyday through complex nutrient carrying fruits and veggies…

Great Bfast idea = Power Smoothie = Fronzen Blue, Raz, Straw, Blackberries + Vanialla Fat Free Yogurt + Raw Plain Oats + Banana +OJ

To gain weight, you must have enough calories to feed your workouts and then some.

Another great idea is eating cottage cheese at night before going to bed because it is slow digesting Casein protein which will also keep your body in a catatonic (active) state longer

hope this helps…