What to do when no one is around to throw with?

Im doing the 5-lb. weight program and a few other things to furthur my abilities but when It comes to actually throwing a baseball, well, thats a problem. Dad and brother are always at work and I have nothing in/around my house that I could throw at without damaging it. What things can I do that involve throwing the baseball without anyone else to catch it!?

BTW, thank you very much Mr. Ellis for providing this forum for aspiring young pitchers like myself.

If you are really serious about pitching you can save up and buty a canvas catcher. It’s a stand that has a square cut out in the canvas around the strike zone. Its great to have a bucket of balls and throw into the canvas catcher.
Good Luck!

In high school I would sting a large blanket between trees and throw and now in college if people aren’t around then I drive to the field, put one of those large metal trash barrels on home plate and long toss from a bucket in center field. There are MANY ways to get a little work in you just have to be creative.

How much are those and do they need to hang from something?

I have 2 “ball catchers”: 1. The Franklin Jr. Pop-up Catcher. It folds up to a small circle for storage. It costs anywhere from $50-$60 around here and the internet. 2. The Easton Jr. Pitcher. This is more cumbersome to set up (still not bad, though) and you can change out the canvas backing and install a pitchback net. This cost me about $80 at Sports Authority.

But…since I’m cheap and try to train my 5 pitchers at one time (limited time), I use 5 4’x5’ pieces of plywood and lean them up against the fence and tape a 4 zone “target”. I line up the pitchers 46’ away, give them some balls and turn them loose. Eventually, I added some used carpet to the plywood to deaden the noise a bit. I know it sounds stupid, but like SGRADY33 said…there are MANY ways to be creative. :lol:

Hi guys, I"m new here. If I want to make a simple “cardboard strikezone”; what do you guys recommend the dimensions to be?

Homeplate is 17’ wide, so give or take an inch (which all umpires do), would make it 19’. What about the height and the position above ground?

Thanks.

P.S This is for a little backyard practice when I don’t have time to get to a mound. So, I will be throwing on flat grounds when I use this “cardboard strikezone”. do you guys recommend it to be higher or lower (to make up the difference between the height of a mound).

what about living in an apartment? i dont have a backyard, and theres no real room inside to throw. any suggestions?

Go outside…

i actually have the same problem and it really hurts my baseball skills…i hope u guys figure something good out

Go outside…[/quote]

i would, but outside is all parking lot, so id have to deal with cars coming in and out

When I was a kid I would find a brick wall, outline a strike zone and color in the corners and practice throwing trying to hit corners. On Steve website there are drills you can do… all you need : ball, ball brick wall and time to kill.

what about those of us that live in a cold climate… IE winter means below freezing and not good to be throwing outside.

If you attend a church, you could use the gym if it has one. Or, your local schools. My dad and I made a portabal pitching mound, it’s a great help in the winter.

I live in a somewhat cold place but I am getting a net, bird netting (you can get It out of most farm supply catalogues) that is about 8’ by 5’ and hooking it to a door way in my basement. It will take 6 hooks (2 on top, 2 on sides) and a heavy weight-cinderblock or bricks to anchor the bottom down then I can pitch into it even when its cold outside. Good luck finding a solution to your problem. :smiley:

Thats a great idea! Coming from Indiana I kind of know what its like trying to find places to throw. You can always do to your local schools and normally after hours (until about 7-8ish) the doors are ope and you can go throw. Try a local church like it was said earlier. Also depending on how much throwing you have already done, it might be a great few months to leave the ball, and start working on mechanics. I know its the least fun part of the game, but you got to keep those sharp.

Ryan

You can get a lot of work done by yourself. I go to this school by my house and line up 60ft away from a soccer goal and try to hit the crossbar as many times as i can. It helped me a lot with elevating a fastball lol.

I also do this for long toss.
I set up my bucket of balls about a 50 -60 yards away from me and throw at it. After each throw i sprint to the bucket and back and do it again. Just get creative. Of course its easier when your practicing with other people but when you need to put in some extra work you have to get it done somehow.

Great forum here, but don’t forget some of the basic drills that you CAN do inside (like a towel drill). For that, get a small towel (I stole one of my wife’s thin dish towels - don’t tell her!) and got electrical tape in the center and both ends. Then got my son to lay on the floor in the garage (for distance) and put duct tape down (head to toe) on the floor. Then, him at one end and a chair at the other. I duct taped a center mark on the chair and had him work at hitting the center mark and snapping his wrist. May not be as good as long toss, but…

On another note, a good pitcher should be one of the best towel fighters around! :smiley:

put a ball in your hand and then a big sock over your arm and hand leaving 2 or 3 inches at the end and tape the sock on your wrist. you can do all your mechanical work and actually throw the ball with out a partner and being in your house. you cant work on location but you can work on feel and everything else.

i got a tarp. i tied it to my old swing set and i just throw. except, it rained and then i threw a made a hole…

go to the nearest backstop and pitch at it