What to do (somewhat of a vent)

We ended up putting another one in the L column today, but it wasn’t really the score, more my personal performance, and lack of not knowing what to do to get reset.

I gave up like 6 ER in 1 1/3, giving up only one clean hit to the outfield, and one walk.

Everything else was grounders including 3 infield singles.
A couple critical errors on two easy double play balls.

I really haven’t thrown well in a while, and it’s become a thing of frustration, when I’m by nature generally very composed.
Yet I don’t really know what to do, to either fix it or just relax.

Given up several infield hits, and I’d venture to say 80% of hits are grounders, so it’s not like I’m getting ripped.
Yet the scorebook would say I’m getting absolutely destroyed.

I’ve worked mechanics
All kinds of mental focus

In a new program this year, we really only do pitching stuff game day, never in practice, and I’ve also become a shortstop, which has played with my release ponit and arm path.

None the less, anyone got any kind of response on what to do.

One of our other pitchers told me it is actually nice that he’s not very bright because he doesn’t think to much, lol.

Only doing pitching stuff on game day doesn’t cut it in my book. It sounds to me like you’re not well-prepared and that certainly affects your confidence.

You need to find a way to get in a bullpen (or maybe two shorter pens depending on your rotation) in between outings. And you need to find a way to get in other things on other days. Doing these things will help you enter games with more confidence knowing that you’re well prepared.

[quote=“Roger”]Only doing pitching stuff on game day doesn’t cut it in my book. It sounds to me like you’re not well-prepared and that certainly affects your confidence.

You need to find a way to get in a bullpen (or maybe two shorter pens depending on your rotation) in between outings. And you need to find a way to get in other things on other days. Doing these things will help you enter games with more confidence knowing that you’re well prepared.[/quote]

Understood, and I agree.

We only have a few weeks left and I’m going to try and squeeze in what I can on my own. Hopefully I can help myself out to any degree.

It definately makes me take notice of the importance of drills, as those are probably the major abscence.

Last year I was at a different school we did, either pfp’s, flat ground, bullpens, or drills almost any day we didn’t have a game.

New school, have not done any pfp, drills, and only throw bullpens the day before a start, and we are limited to so few pitches it’s hard to become productive or make changes.
(JV practice is basically bp and take a bit of infield)

The mental edge has always been a big thing for me, and it hasn’t been the same this year. This whole year has been an adjustment and more specific work is one thing I’ll have to carry with me into next season.

It seems so obvious, but I was fairly blind to the lack of pitcher specific work I’ve been doing. I’ve spent the last two months attempting to become a decent shortstop (has worked out fairly well actually :-)) but pitching is still #1.

Confidence is definately the key word

Thanks Roger!