What Striding Sideways Looks Like

I (and others) have talked about how important it is that pitchers stride sideways toward the target and then rotate their foot at the last possible second so that their toe points at the target. This maximizes the force with which the hips pull the shoulders around. Some people have a hard time understanding exactly what this looks like, so I have posted a number of examples to my web site…

I’m not exactly sure what the equivalent of the Casey Fossum Hips Rotating Before Shoulders picture is, but it’s probably one of these…

Those are great pictures. Video tells more but these are good. Your title implies that there are pro pitchers who DON’T stride sideways. Who are they? I doubt if you’ll find any.

Secondly, and on another front, check out the finger positions on the ball in these photos. I think these are some examples of what “keeping the fingers on top of the ball” actually means.

This was a mistake that I have corrected.

I don’t think it’s possibly to throw really hard (for long) without striding sideways, because striding sideways is a key to throwing with the lower body.

The photo of Hendrickson (the Dodger) reflects what I think is the best way to do this (palm facing 1B since he’s a LHP). I don’t think it’s necessary to do it as much as many do up to this point.

that was funny when hendrickson fell pitching hte other day, got called for the balk :lol: :lol:

So your foot is supposed to rotate towards home at the last possible second before it lands? Or after it lands. Right now I think I do the former.

It has to rotate toward home before it lands.

Otherwise, you’ll end up destroying your glove-side knee.

[quote=“jmart917”]So your foot is supposed to rotate towards home at the last possible second before it lands? Or after it lands. Right now I think I do the former.[/quote]Chris is right. There are those out there who say that rotating the hips into landing is foolish and that it must happen UPON landing, not before. Now that’s foolish. Just look at video of MLB pitchers and you’ll see how foolish. Stride sideways, aggressively, to build up momentum and rotate the back foot, leg and hips just as you are about to land, or have to land. If your timing is correct, meaning that the shoulders are still lined up with second and home when the front foot lands, you’ll have good separaton between the hips and shoulders, which, as has been discussed many times on this board, creates a stretch across the torso that fuels a more powerful shoulder rotation and trunk flexion.

You can teach a kid to throw harder with intent. You can teach them to be more balanced. You can teach them a good stride length. But this is a hard thing to teach a kid. Many kids swing their legs around and have different approaches to the plate. If they can get this movement down at an early age they will be succesful pitchers. This movement and the very next one aka " the stepover" is something I have been working for about 3 months with my son. Someone mentioned it on a previous post, thanks CADAD, and we worked hard correcting this fault. Rotating into foot plant is a term that is hard to understand. If you can get the concept down you are definitely on your way to being a succesful pitcher!

Another good topic would be to show your sole!!! Something making kids do not do.

SHOW YOUR SOLE!
Very good topic and I hope everyone here takes notice!

:lol:

I think this is a valid cue and might even be better than just telling a kid to stride sideways. One reason I like it is that it requires the pitcher to keep some flex in their glove-side knee, which I think is a good thing.