What should you do?

What should you do if you coach is telling you that you are getting under the ball and not throwing downhill to the plate, with all of you pitches being high like you are almost pushing the ball?

If you could supply a video, then I could probably help more.

Many problems in young pitchers stem from the posture of the upper body at release. Some people don’t bend at the waist before release, which results many times in a high throw or inconsistent location. A lot of pitchers will end up in a bent position due to cues from coaches to make sure and follow through, but sometimes the release happens to early in a standing position followed by the bend. It’s hard to see this if you don’t have some sort of video freeze frame.

Please post a video and we can see if this is what is happening.

Don’t a lot of pitchers end up in a bent position - meaning good fielding position? Or are you referring to something different?

“Getting under the ball” is common when throwing change-ups by slowing down the arm. Not sure if that is your case, though.

pinnbiomech
Many problems in young pitchers stem from the posture of the upper body at release. Some people don’t bend at the waist before release, which results many times in a high throw or inconsistent location. A lot of pitchers will end up in a bent position due to cues from coaches to make sure and follow through, but sometimes the release happens to early in a standing position followed by the bend.

Outstanding observation… and one of the major reasons for sore elbows, sore necks and a lot of base-on-balls.

This upper body discipline does not come about over night. It takes deliberate practice … sometimes in front of a mirror to ACTUALLY see the desired results and FEEL said same. This upper body posture also supports the Drive forward when you pitch OFF YOUR STRIDE LEG and when that stride foot plants deliberately.

Orangepeel,

I didn’t explain myself clearly. Yes you do want to end up in that bent position, but some kids seem to let the ball go and then bend. That is what I am suggesting. You can tell the kid to follow through but he doesn’t understand it because he is ending up in that bent position. Until you can explain it clearly or show a freeze frame video it would be hard to teach them.