What should be my fourth pitch?

I was wondering what would be a good pitch to go with a fastball, curve and a change??? Would a slider or a cutter be good with those pitches???

Very few people can throw both a great curveball and slider.

Often what happens is when trying to throw one they end up with a mix of the two, which is an unfortunate hanging “slurve” that likes the bite of either one of the pitches.

A cutter is fairly easy to throw and to get used to and really doesn’t require much wrist cock or significant throwing motion, so that wouldn’t be to hard to differentiate from the curveball in my opinion.

Fastball, curve and changeup will take you a long ways alone, most guys in the pros don’t have much more than that if you count the two-seam and four-seam as separate pitches.

If you have a natural feel for the splitter play around with that, it can be devastating.

splitter is an easy one to pick up on if you have a big enough hand but i dont see why you need a 4th pitch. you should just perfect the ones you have. the most dangerous kind of pitcher is the one who has the ability to throw any of his pitches for strikes at any given momment. like a curveball on a 3-2 count.

Assuming your other pitches are solid, I would consider a sinker or a cutter.

I WOULD go with the slider assuming that you are in late High School ball. What one of the posters said is true; you have to be careful not to blend the two into a slurve.

I disagree that you can’t have both you can as long as you remember good mechanics of both pitches. Here are some reasons why I like the slider.

If you have runners on base and you do not want to give them an extra edge by throwing an off speed pitch, the slider gives you a breaking ball that can be throw with speed.

If you have a runner at third, and you do not want to take a chance of bouncing a big dropping curve in the dirt, the slider is your pitch. It is true you can bounce a slider in the dirt as well, but it you can do that with any pitch.

If you are throwing from over the top or high ¾’s, the slider gives you a power pitch that you can use for double play balls. Your fast ball will not sink from overhand or high ¾’s, the batter is most likely to miss your curve all together, and same thing for a well disguised change. A slider, however, might be grounded to second or short for the pitchers best friend

Finally the best hitter ever Ted Williams called the slider the ____ pitch when thrown low and outside. If it gave Williams problems, its is good enough for me.

Here are some notes from a guy who threw one:

Unless you are a power pitcher, keep your slider low and outside. I never was I flame thrower, and when I tried to front door a slider it tended to back up, or what was worse whip over into a right handed pull hitters wheel house, yikes! I rarely hung my slider when I went low and away.

Sliders mix very well with sinking fastballs. Sinkers in, sliders away is a very effective strategy for a guy who succeeds by getting ground ball outs. A good circle change that dips gives you another candidate for the batter to keep beating the ball into the ground. From my experience, I was most effective with this when I threw from ¾’s to low ¾’s.
This allowed me to keep my curve in reserve for a strikeout pitch when I really needed a strike out.

This strategy does not make you front page material, your probably not going to win big headlines by striking out 10 guys a game. However, your coach will very often see that you get the ball a lot of the time.

When you throw to some one who bats opposite especially right handers throwing to lefties do not throw your slider down and in for a jam job. It is better to try to back door it outside rather than try to get it in on the fists. The failed jam job is a home run pitch!

Ian

heres my four pitches and its plenty enough- 2 seam fastball, 4 seam fastball, circle change, curveball, if u throw a 4 seam right now, try develop a 2 seam, most pitchers only have one breaking pitch, also, cutters and that stuff brings up the possibility of getting injured, so developing two fastballs is a good idea, along with a solid change and curve

When I’m ahead in the count I throw a two seamer and when I’m behind I throw a 4 seamer

you should try throwing both at any counts especially 2-seams behind in the count.

If you can consistently throw a fastball, curve, and a change where you want it, at a proper velocity, and with good movement, you don’t need a fourth pitch.

Concentrate on the three you’re throwing now, and MASTER them. You’ll have an easier time finding success if you have complete, consistent control of two or three pitches than if you have moderate, inconsistent control of four.

Mastery = propelling a pitch at the desired velocity, with intended movement, within 3-4 inches of its intended target, 80% of the time in practice, 70% of the time in the game.

It really depends on what school of pitching you come from. The Reds have always like the 4 pitch pitcher.

What I dont like about the Reds philosophy is that if a guy does not have a good curveball they immediately abort to the slider. This should NEVER be the case. Learn the Curve first.

Ian

The guy I get professional lessons from said he will teach me a cutter