What should a pitcher think?

Should a pitcher think, ground ball, or strike out?

This is what I think, If it’s a week batter, a pitcher should think strike out, if it’s a better batter that bat’s in the 1 - 5 hole a pitcher should be thinking ground ball.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Just work the corners and change speeds. Don’t think of anything but the pitch your about to throw. If you hit the spots and keep them off balance it’ll all fall into place.

You need to think about an effective pitch sequence and about hitting your spots. If you do this well, the strikeouts and ground balls will happen.

Like already said… just focus on making your pitch. Keeping the ball low, and hitting spots will induce ground balls. Occassionally if you feel you really need a strikeout, in say 1st/3rd, 0 outs, where a double play still scores a run, then work on starting your breaking ball on a corner and having it run off the plate, or start it out and let it catch corners to decieve the hitter.

I agree. I dont think okay lets strike these next few hitters out because that may put you in the mind set where you either overthrow and walk people or you just reach back and throw harder but its right down the middle of the plate and they hit it in the gap. The way i approach pitching is just mix it up, get ahead and then making them hit my pitch or a pitch they wont be able to do much with. I sugges try the approaches given and not just striking people out.

As a catcher, it frustrates me when pitchers start “thinking”…

:stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, the other posters are right on the money: the main thing you should be thinking about is your next pitch. The best plan is to approach a game one pitch at a time. There is too much out of your control — for example, the batter with a bat in his hands, the umpire’s opinion of the strike zone — for you to be focusing on results that others have an influence on.

Concentrate on a specific spot, make the best pitch you can to that spot. Once the ball leaves your hand, all you can do is wait for what happens next (and field your position).

You should just be thinking how you can get this guy out period. I know every pitcher wants to have 10+ K’s in a game but remember it takes one pitch to get an out with a groundball or popfly anf three to get a strikeout.

wen i pitch i try to think like the batter … wat would he get pitch after pitch. if u think like the hitter it would be ez to kno wat he wants, so u wont throw a mistake. if u hit ur spots u would most likely get 5 + k’s well it works for me.

[quote=“FB_Pitch14”]Should a pitcher think, ground ball, or strike out?

This is what I think, If it’s a week batter, a pitcher should think strike out, if it’s a better batter that bat’s in the 1 - 5 hole a pitcher should be thinking ground ball.

Any thoughts or suggestions?[/quote]
Its not what a pitcher should be thinking , I’d say wehter he should go for the K or the ground out is all about the pitchers style.Look at chien Ming wang. Hard sinker , low fastball , decent slider.He is primarely a ground ball pitcher due to the late break of the sinker he enduces alot of ground ball. and i personally think that is his main focus. He can strike people out too though.

well some situations call for a strikeout… but it only takes 1 pitch to get an out and the less pitches the better

Yeah, I would say to take it one pitch at a time. No wonder the Yankee scouts say Philip Hughes not only has the stuff to be in the majors, he also has the mental toughness, in that he takes it one pitch at a time.

The moment you think about a mistake you made, you’ll try to be to careful and wind up making a mistake. I has a dominoe effect on you. It really does.

My pitchers set a goal of 3 pitches per inning. Sure, it rarely ever happens. But that mentality allows them to pitch for contact, as oppose to running up their pitch counts early in the game. Attack the strikezone, locate accordingly, you’ll have success.

If the at bat goes beyond 4 pitches, it’s to the batter’s benefit.