What Rushing Looks Like - Kerry Wood

I just heard that Kerry Wood was starting today for the Cubs, so I went to Yahoo to see if they had any pictures up yet. It turns out that they had a couple, including this one…

Based on this picture it looks like Wood’s timing problems haven’t been fixed; he is clearly rushing (which is the likely root cause of his shoulder problems). The thing to notice is that his glove-side foot is just about to plant (which will cause his shoulders to automatically start to turn) but his pitching arm side forearm is not yet vertical. As a result, his PAS forearm will lay back or bounce especially hard and he will tend to leave the ball up in the zone as a result.

I predict a bad day for him.

P.S. I just checked on MLB.com (the Gameday pitch by pitch location function is incredible), and Wood did indeed get off to a bad start. He gave up three runs in the first (including at least one home run). However, he seems to be keeping the ball down better now.

WOW!

How the heck can you look at a still picture and decipher that he is rushing?

And this is a bad angle to even look at?

First, this is the PERFECT angle to judge whether he is rushing or not since it’s a side view.

Second, rushing is a timing flaw, and you can evaluate his timing based on the position of his various body parts in the picture.

It is a given that a pitcher’s shoulders will start to turn as their glove-side foot lands. Given that Wood’s heel is at most an inch off the ground, we know that his shoulders will start to turn in just a moment (in fact, you can tell from the picture that he has already started to pull his glove down to his waist, which is the first thing that he does when he starts to turn his shoulders). We can also see in the picture that his pitching arm side forearm is just below horizontal. Well, I know from looking at photos of Wood that there is no way that he can get his pitching arm side forearm vertical in the short period of time that it will be before his glove side foot lands and his shoulders start to turn. Therefore, I know that his forearm will not be in the correct position at the moment that his shoulders start to turn.

And that’s the definition of rushing.

Chris
You MUST look at video!!! I have one of Wood from centre field that shows that, at front foot landing, his throwing arm is, in fact, in the “high cocked position” despite your “estimate” EXTRAPOLATED from yet another still image. Chris, this approach isn’t fruitful. Yes, use stills but NOT without putting them into the proper context with video.

looks a bit rushed to me…

[quote=“andrew.ra.”]looks a bit rushed to me…[/quote]What looks rushed?

In that picture of Casey Fossum you posted in another thread, his foot has planted but his shoulders have not yet started to rotate. I’m not so sure that the shoulders start rotating at foot strike.

I can’t say I’m familiar with Wood’s motion but in that picture his GAS elbow is up and glove pocket is facing down and that doesn’t look like pulling the glove down to his waist is imminent. Most pitchers rotate the glove over before pulling it.

Again, I’m not familiar with Wood’s motion but looking at how straight his stride leg is in that picture makes me think that after foot strike he will track forward to end up on a more bent front knee. His arm could be cocking while his body is tracking forward. Of course, this is all speculation based on a single still picture.

without reading anything other than the title this is the first thing that i noticed about the picture. the foot pretty much landing without the arm being vertical part i mean.

Just saw video highlights to me and this picture is not doing him justice. The angle isnt even taken from the 3b side. You really need to evaluate live video chris. This is why many people throughout the internet do not take you seriously. I do admire you but the internet world does not. Baseball-fever and many other sites such as HSBBW have pretty much showed you how this is true.

When you make an assumption on a still picture you will receive good and bad feedback. Once again I do admire some of the comments you make but for the most part I just read and move on. :o

[quote=“dm59”]Chris
You MUST look at video!!! I have one of Wood from centre field that shows that, at front foot landing, his throwing arm is, in fact, in the “high cocked position” despite your “estimate” EXTRAPOLATED from yet another still image. Chris, this approach isn’t fruitful. Yes, use stills but NOT without putting them into the proper context with video.[/quote]

Can you please e-mail me the video at chris@chrisoleary.com?

Remember that rushing is timing problem and that timing can vary (that’s why a pitcher can be on one day and off the next).

I completely believe that Wood may not have been rushing in the video you have, but I also think that he was rushing at the beginning of the game (and during his warm-ups) yesterday. He seemed to rush less as the course of the game went on.

[quote=“baseballbum”]Just saw video highlights to me and this picture is not doing him justice. The angle isnt even taken from the 3b side. You really need to evaluate live video chris. This is why many people throughout the internet do not take you seriously. I do admire you but the internet world does not. Baseball-fever and many other sites such as HSBBW have pretty much showed you how this is true.

When you make an assumption on a still picture you will receive good and bad feedback. Once again I do admire some of the comments you make but for the most part I just read and move on. :o[/quote]

First of all, the frame rate of video is often too slow to show this level of detail (you often get heavy blurring). That’s why I like stills (which I correlate to video).

Second, remember that just because Wood may have been rushing early doesn’t mean he was rushing later on in the game. Rushing is a timing flaw, and timing can change during the course of the game (and even from pitch to pitch). For example, he may only rush when throwing his fastball.

I can tell infinitely more from a blurry video than the clearest of stills.

First, this is the PERFECT angle to judge whether he is rushing or not since it’s a side view.

Second, rushing is a timing flaw, and you can evaluate his timing based on the position of his various body parts in the picture.

It is a given that a pitcher’s shoulders will start to turn as their glove-side foot lands. Given that Wood’s heel is at most an inch off the ground, we know that his shoulders will start to turn in just a moment (in fact, you can tell from the picture that he has already started to pull his glove down to his waist, which is the first thing that he does when he starts to turn his shoulders). We can also see in the picture that his pitching arm side forearm is just below horizontal. Well, I know from looking at photos of Wood that there is no way that he can get his pitching arm side forearm vertical in the short period of time that it will be before his glove side foot lands and his shoulders start to turn. Therefore, I know that his forearm will not be in the correct position at the moment that his shoulders start to turn.

And that’s the definition of rushing.[/quote]

MORE B.S. from a person who is truly “CLUELESS IN ST. LOUIS”!!! Your “notions” on this one really take the cake. My definition of “rushing”. A person who pontificates about something when they have yet to learn about what it is they are pontificating upon!!! Thats rushing Chris, look in the mirror you may see a blur of an image RUSH by!!!

Anybody who looks at this picture and can’t see that O’Leary is right on the money with this one, is a complete fool.

Pictures don’t lie geniuses. Clearly he does not have his arm in the ready postion at foot plant.

I believe on Baseball Tonight they said in the early innings and mostly through the whole game he was having timing issues in going to the plate to early…

[quote=“eaglefreak”]Anybody who looks at this picture and can’t see that O’Leary is right on the money with this one, is a complete fool.

Pictures don’t lie geniuses. Clearly he does not have his arm in the ready postion at foot plant.[/quote]

OH I see I must have missed the pic where his foot was planted because it sure as hell is NOT planted in the pic that Dr. Chris posted. There a difference between “touchdown” and “footplant” of the stride leg foot. There is also a HUGE difference in regards to looking at pitching mechancis through a “collage” of “pictures” like Dr. Chris puts together versus what “REAL” pitching coaches use such a fricking VIDEO clip. I suggest you enroll in the Dr. Chris Oleary school of pitching mechanics, you will be playing soccer before you know it!!! This is nothing more than another Dr. Chris Olearys “notion” of what he deems rushing to be and nothing else!!! Now go eat your ice cream young man!!!

[quote=“eaglefreak”]Anybody who looks at this picture and can’t see that O’Leary is right on the money with this one, is a complete fool.

Pictures don’t lie geniuses. Clearly he does not have his arm in the ready postion at foot plant.[/quote]OK, eaglefreak. Chinmusic’s absolutely correct. You come here and call people “fools” and say things like “…he does not have his arm in the ready postion at foot plant…” Did you even SEE the image Chris posted? He’s not even at touchdown let alone footplant. Maybe, just barely with the point of his cleat. I was going to offer to send you a VIDEO CLIP of Wood at actual footplant but I think I’ll just ignore you from this point on. You obviously just enjoy calling people down. Have fun with that.

Oh and by the way, even if I, or any other on this board, actually were wrong about some little pitching issue, it does NOT mean they can be called a fool. It’s ONLY PITCHING guys. That’s all.

Let’s keep this board from falling into the muck of name calling and personal attacks!! If you disagree with something that is said, debate it, hard but resorting to adolescent name calling will only serve to make this board less productive.

Pictures don’t lie geniuses. Clearly he does not have his arm in the ready postion at foot plant.[/quote]

Who says the arm must be in “the ready position” (what ever that is) at foot plant?

The arms need to be in an opposite and equal position at foot plant as that enhances balance and timing.

What the heck does “timing issues in going to the plate to early” mean? That’s extremely vague.