What pitches to use in games

Im looking to revise my arsenal in games as i have way to many that im not to good at. I can do 4 seem fastball, 2 seem, slider, curve, knucle, knucle curve and circle changeup.

I really want around 4 pitches that i can exacute well and can use often. My 4 seem and 2 seem are great. So ill probably use both or one of those but what about the others. I really like the feel of the Knucle curve but I cant get to much volocity on it.

But what do more profesianl people think.

Also im 14

Drop the slider and the curves, go with fastballs and changes, then mix in an occasional knuckleball to get another good change and sink.

Ok thats what I was probably going to do if now one repliad(sp).

[quote=“Pustulio”]Drop the slider and the curves, go with fastballs and changes, then mix in an occasional knuckleball to get another good change and sink.[/quote]you’re actullay going to tell someone to drop a curveball for a knuckleball? How many big leaguers throw a knuckleball compared to a curveball? A knuckleball is hard to susccesffully throw over and over again, yet alone for a strike. A curveball is one of the more important pitches in baseball. I do not understand why you would want to get rid of a curveball. A slider makes more sense because its harder on the arm

Well I really like the knucle ball but also i really hurt my arm like three months ago throwing curves. They also wernt curving as much as i see other people.

Also is Knucle curve harder on the arm then a regualr knucle ball?

A curveball shouldn’t harm your arm at all.And a knuckle curve isn’t really compared to a knuckleball. It’s compared to a curveball. I’ve tried throwing a knucklecurve a bit lately, since lowering my arm angle i’ve lost the sharpness of the break, and it’s a little flat, other people suggesting trying to spike it(knuckle up on it)
Lots of peoples curveballs break more due to velocity, height, arm extension, how you throw it, arm angle, if your throwing into the wind or with the wind.

I’m thinking your not exactly getting the right idea of a knucklecurve.

How can you say this? No a curve thrown properly and given the person has matured enough to throw it, it shouldn’t hurt.

Back to your question pilldom.

You don’t want to throw the slider that will screw up your arm, but chances are you don’t throw it properly or hard enough yet to feel the pain in your elbow. This is common and we get this a lot kids around your age throwing sliders. I’m 15 and even when I throw a slider just once on accident, I throw a cutter that’s close to it but when thrown improperly can easily change into a slider, I feel the pain in my elbow. Once you throw hard enough you’ll feel it, so drop that pitch. I’d drop both the curves if you say it hurts.

I wouldn’t keep the knuckle ball. This is a hard pitch to master and keep. It’s also not effective unless you have a ton of movement on it. A good hitter will pick up the lack of spin on your knuckle and it will be like knowing a change-ups coming and they will blast it.

Circle change is a good pitch to keep. If you have trouble with that you can always go to a 3 finger change-up. Sometimes you need bigger hands for the circle change.

So my hints to you. Get your mechanics down. Master your 4-seam and 2-seam’s locations. Work on the change of speed for your change-up and to keep it low. At your age no need to worry about horizontal location for your change-up just keep it low to start off with.

That right there is a lot to work with and will keep you practicing for a long time. Maby in a couple of years you can start to throw a curve, that will be your best bet. A cutter is also a common pitch to start in a couple years and a lot of kids throw it around here and same thing with a splitter. Quite a few kids have these pitches and like them, but my suggestion to you is when your a little older learn the curve and if you have trouble you can always go to a different pitch.

That’s just my 2 cents

[quote]
How can you say this? No a curve thrown properly and given the person has matured enough to throw it, it shouldn’t hur[/quote]
exactly.
hence why a curveball SHOULDN’T hurt your arm

[quote=“3and0”][quote]
How can you say this? No a curve thrown properly and given the person has matured enough to throw it, it shouldn’t hur[/quote]
exactly.
hence why a curveball SHOULDN’T hurt your arm[/quote]

Unless you haven’t matured enough yet to throw it without it hurting.

A knuckleball isn’t thrown by many big leaguers because it is tough to master. That’s why some of the greatest knuckleball pitchers worked on it since they were kids, whether a pitcher or not they practiced it. If he practices it at a young age he canh get good at it.

The knuckleball is an effective change-up as it should be thrown with your fastball mechanics to get enough velocity for movement, then the movement is just gravy on top of that. Even if it’s not dancing it will sink alot.

Remember that knuckleballs can sink just as much as splitters and that splitters and forkballs are very similar to knucklers in that you don’t want spin. The knuckleball can be effective even if it’s not top notch.

If any of you were as educated on the knuckleball as I am then you wouldn’t make statements like that.

Oh and perhaps a video of each of your pitches is needed to determine what you should use.