What pitches to throw?

I’ve been debating for awhile on what pitches I should throw… I don’t really have a set spot on when I pitch (my preference is as the closer, but I take any innings coach will throw my way) and I want to have a decent arsenal of pitches to keep the hitters guessing,
Here’s what I’ve decided on sort of… The first 2 pitches are already pitches I throw… Im just wondering what compliments these 2 pitches well.
4 seam fastball (thats a given)
Curveball (already set in my pitch selection)
Now for my third I was thinking of throwing a sinker. I want something thats a bit harder than a changeup, but isn’t just a straight fastball… I don’t throw hard enough to throw a slider, and I’ve read I shouldn’t even be considering a cutter yet.
Any imput would help…

I would work on your change-up.

Yeah? What’s a good changeup to start with… There are so many to pick from. The circle change, 3 finger change, palm-ball style change, fosh change…?

Yes, definatly your changeup, I refused to even learn it for the first two years I pitched, instead throwing a screwball which I learned before my curveball. But this year I learned to throw my change and its a very nasty pitch if used appropriately.
I recommend a circle change (screwball-ish style) or a four fingered change. I use both. Very effective. Evidently my arsenal is 4-seam fastball, screwball (rarely seen these days in pro-ball), curveball and changeup.
Work hard my friend.

Changeup. Fastball arm speed. Difficult to guage the speed of until it’s too late, IF it’s combined with a good, well placed fastball. Deadly.

The sinker is an awesome pitch, fastball based it induces ground balls and minimum pitch innings, many of the best are throwing it. Great 4th pitch cause ya gotta change speeds, work some form of change first.

Change up. Which one depends on your hand size and physical size and age. The three finger and four finger changeups are good pitching grips to start with because you don’t need big hands.

The circle change (OK change) is what I threw, but I learned it later in my career (senior year in high school) because bigger hands are needed, at least for me. But when it came to pitch movement and speed reduction, the circle changeup was by far the best (my K pitch).

Let us know what you settle on. There’s no right or wrong changeup here … but I think you’re seeing that the change (and fastball, of course) is the way to go. In fact, you can get by for a long, long time on just those 2 pitches – if you can spot them and get a little movement.

Change up…Change up…Change up…Change up…Work on this pitch. In my opinion, next to a good fastball is a good change up. There is nothing more satisfying for a pitcher as fooling a batter with the change up. You can throw a fastball by them for a 3rd strike, or throw a curveball for a 3rd strike, but when you throw a change for a 3rd strike…priceless

CHANGE UP just like everyone has been saying. A lot of pitchers dont have confidence in there change up and always go to there curveball instead but perfecting a change up will allow you to go deeper into games and save your arm from the strain of always throwing curveballs. This year in college the most effective pitchers against our team have been the ones with great change ups.

Heh looks like I should work on my changeup. Problem is… I have actually rather small hands for my size (Im 5’10.5"). But I struggle to even get a 3 finger or 4 finger change deep into my hand.
How do you throw it? I’ve tried them before but it seems like I need to change my release point because I can’t throw it with any kind of accuracy.

you could try the pitch fork grip where you use three fingers make sure its deep into your hand and if you wanna try just before you release it turn your hand counter clockwise that should give you some good movement and its easy to grip and throw.

Well tuesday I got my coach to teach me how to grip a changeup. It’s a lot different than I anticipated and I can even grip a circle change (which is the one I decided to start throwing). I had a real fun time working on it today, but it has a very unorthadox movement. It drops, and falls off to the left, tailing away from righties rather than into their hands. I can’t say I mind though, and my coach told me it’s just because thats where I put the pressure and release it from. All that matters to me is that it’s working and Im keeping it low in the zone, otherwise I minds well be throwing BP…
Thanks for the input guys and Ill keep you updated on the progression of my changeup.
Mike

I say if you throw my favorite pitch a forkball. It has literally the strangest spin you will ever encounter along with a nasty break and a large difference in speed ffrom your fastball.

[quote=“SnakeManiac72”]and I’ve read I shouldn’t even be considering a cutter yet.
[/quote]

Could somebody fill me in on what is wrong with a cutter?

isnt a cutter just a fastball variation

can a cutter be harmful to a young arm? or can it be taught to 12 year olds

Yes, because it can lead the pitcher to supinate their forearm as a result of cutting the ball. That can cause the bones of the elbow to slam together.

To SnakeManiac72: I guess it would all depend on which function you really want to perform. If being a closer is what you want to do, you could do very nicely with just two, maybe three pitches. Look at Mariano rivera. He has just one pitch, really, but what a pitch! the most devastating cutter I’ve ever seen; the batters know it’s coming, they know he’s going to throw it, but they can’t hit it for beans. (He also has a four-seam fast ball which he occasionally uses.) But if you are going to throw more than just an inning or two…
Many years ago, when I pitched, I had an incredible pitching coach—an active major-league pitcher—who told me something very interesting. He said that just about any pitch could be turned into a changeup, which really got my attention. I didn’t have a fast ball to speak of, so I had to become a “snake maniac” and throw a lot of snake jazz—which I did successfully. My best pitch—and I don’t see why you couldn’t learn to throw one—was a very nasty slider which I could get to break a couple of different ways (I was a natural sidearmer with a consistent release point). I also had a very good knuckle-curve; you could pick up that one easily, it being a matter of the grip—you throw it just like a fast ball and watch what it does!
What my coach told me about the slider was this: “Throw it like a curve, but roll your wrist, don’t snap it.” When that pitch is thrown correctly it is easier on the arm and shoulder than almost any other pitch. And speaking of being “easier on the arm and shoulder”, here’s a little thing I picked up from watching what the Yankee pitchers were doing: they were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in a seamless, continuous motion to generate the power behind their pitches. I made a note of that, worked on it, and found that besides getting the power behind my pitches it took almost all the pressure off my arm and shoulder. How not to get a sore arm.
A few things to think about. :baseballpitcher:

dude just throw nasty stuff…get batters off balence…doesnt matter what or how you throw it…