What pitches for a 10 yr old

My son is 10 and pitches for his team. He has a 2 and 4 seam fastball. Any other pitches that he should try? I want to make sure he dosent injure his arm.

That is all he needs for now. He should be working on throwing strikes for a high percentage. When he gets good at that, he can start working on location. When he gets good at that, introduce him to a change-up.

If the kid can throw strikes consistently there is nothing wrong with letting him mess around with a change now. Most of the better 10’s I’ve seen in rec ball throw one. It can help him stay interested in practicing and make him feel like he’s one step ahead of the batters and opposing pitchers. It has almost the same effect as a curve at that age, so it should help postpone that whole conversation for a couple years. If he can throw it for a strike, it will come in very handy against good hitters. He should never throw it against any hitter who can’t catch up to his 2 seam or 4 seam.

You are assuming the the kid “can throw strikes consistently” and is one “of the better 10’s”. We don’t know that, which is why I emphasized the kid mastering the fastball first, then introducing the change-up. There would be no point in try to learn the change-up if he doesn’t have good control of the fastball yet. If he does, then yes, there is nothing wrong with it.

You are assuming the the kid “can throw strikes consistently” and is one “of the better 10’s”. We don’t know that, which is why I emphasized the kid mastering the fastball first, then introducing the change-up. There would be no point in try to learn the change-up if he doesn’t have good control of the fastball yet. If he does, then yes, there is nothing wrong with it.[/quote]

I can’t see how anyone could read my post and think I was assuming anything. The first word is key. “If”.

Speaking from travel ball experience, at 10 with reasonable command of his fastballs for strikes, he should start learning to throw a change up.

The change is a great pitch and might even give him more confidence by knowing that he doesn’t have to rely strictly on fastballs. In turn, preventing him from “aiming” the fastball which leads to control problems and lower velocity.

As posted above the key is throwing strikes.

A pitch that I would look at is the Palmball. This is a great change up for the kids to learn and once mastered gives youth batters fits at all levels. Good luck.

The first changeup I picked up, before I was twelve, was a palmball,and a very good pitch it was—and is. It puts no strain on the elbow or shoulder. is easy to throw, and at any stage of the game it will give batters no end of conniption fits! Good choice. :slight_smile:

I agree with zita on this. Personally, I threw nothing but straight 4 seam heat till 14 when I picked up a 2 seam and a straight change. The curveball followed a year later, but the point is, throwing the fastball so frequently put me ahead of the game in high school because of the command I had over the pitch.