What Pitches Do You Throw?

I know there’s probably already a topic like this but I don’t want to go digging through the forums for it. I’ll start it off.

1. 2 Seam Fastball - My most used pitch.
  2. Circle Change - Usually a waste pitch on a 0-2 count or to start off a batter.
  3. 12-6 Curve - Fun to throw at a batter’s head and let it drop into the zone 0-2 as they duck away.
  4. 4 Seam Fastball, but only when I’m trying to get somebody to chase something high.

2 Seam Fastball- It is my best pitch and is my “go to” pitch
4 Seam Fastball- I use it sometimes but I don’t throw it to often
3 Finger Changeup- I tend to use this pitch after I throw my 2 seamer
Cutter- It is a developing pitch but is coming along
Slider- Thanks to Zita Carno I learned this pitch very well and havent had a single person I’ve pitched it to hit it.

I don’t have new speeds because I am changing from side arm pitching to 3/4 pitching mechanics

Okay, here’s my 75-cents’ worth—the pitches I used to throw when I played, many moons ago:
Slider—my best pitch, the one I would go to when I had to go for the strikeout
Knuckle-curve—my second’best pitch. I built my whole repertoire around these two pitches.
For the rest:
Curveball—this was a natural one that came attached to my sidearm delivery
Palm ball—my very first changeup, and a very good one it was
Circle change
"Slip" pitch—this was a hard slider thrown with a knuckleball grip
Once in a while, a slow curve, a big 12-6 one that fooled the hitters
And of course, the crossfire, which is not a pitch but a move that works only with the sidearm delivery; I used it a lot
The “whoops” pitch—I wasn’t much on speed but this was a pretty good four-seamer that topped out at 81 miles an hour; my pitching coach told me that for a finesse pitcher such as me this was a fast ball
And of course, I had the control and command to go with all of these deliveries. Believe me, I worked at it; when you’re not a fireballer you have to have it! also, I never paid much attention to speed; I just mixed up my pitches, moved the ball around, changed speeds and had the hitters cussing a blue streak.
All this stuff served me well for more than two decades. 8) :baseballpitcher:

4 seam fastball
2 seam fastball- without a doubt my most effective pitch
changeup- currently my strikeout pitch
knuckle curve- developing but will very soon be my strikeout pitch

Four-seam fastball.
Two-seam fastball (not sure if this is my “best” pitch,
but probably the one I am most comfortable with).
Curveball (12-6, and sometimes I will throw it side-arm).
Knuckleball (seldom use it, not very good control- needs lots of work and practice) (I use a whole bunch of different knuckleball grips).
Change-up (have not found grip that works for me yet- needs lots of work and practice).
Sometimes I’ll throw a splitter or a version of a cutter.
:baseballpitcher:

2 seam/sinker- main fastball, i get a lot of groundballs, good heavy sink.
knuckle curve- use it as my curve, breaks really nice :smiley:
slider- somewhere between a slider and cutter, good down and away.
change up- new found pitch, absolutely love it, extremely effective.

Hey, CardsWin—here’s a tip regarding the changeup.
Years ago Ed Lopat, my wise and wonderful pitching coach, told me that just about any pitch can be turned into a nice changeup, and he demonstrated a few for me. You say you have a number of different grips—you might just find a changeup to go with one grip or another. For example, there’s the palm ball (my very first changeup, and a good one it was)—and then there’s a circle change—and you can alter the speed on many others just by tightening or loosening the grip, holding the ball further forward or further back in your hand—the important thing to remember is that you have to throw every one of them with the same arm motion and the same arm speed as for a fast ball! You do not want to telegraph any of those pitches and let the batter know what’s coming! (Unless your name happens to be Mariano Rivera, heh heh) 8)

Well there was a time when I threw a knuckleball almost exclusively.

Since my old coach passed away last year I haven’t thrown it much. The new staff doesn’t let me throw it.

So now it’s a little different.

4-seam fastball
Cutter
Curveball
Split
Sidearm 4-seam
Sidearm Curve

I still throw my knuckleball from time to time but for some reason it’s frowned upon by these coaches.

My guess is they don’t want to look bad by having someone throw a soft pitch, so they would rather me be conventional. These guys have an image issue, in fact if it weren’t for the newspaper stories they wouldn’t do it I’m sure.

[quote=“Pustulio”]Well there was a time when I threw a knuckleball almost exclusively.

Since my old coach passed away last year I haven’t thrown it much. The new staff doesn’t let me throw it.

So now it’s a little different.

4-seam fastball
Cutter
Curveball
Split
Sidearm 4-seam
Sidearm Curve

I still throw my knuckleball from time to time but for some reason it’s frowned upon by these coaches.

My guess is they don’t want to look bad by having someone throw a soft pitch, so they would rather me be conventional. These guys have an image issue, in fact if it weren’t for the newspaper stories they wouldn’t do it I’m sure.[/quote]
Why do you throw a sidearm 4-seam as well? Is it different movement or velocity?

I do it to give the batter another look to think about. It also has a tail to it.

Without my knuckleball I have to be creative to throw batters off balance since my split isn’t so good yet. So by throwing sidearm and high 3/4 I give the batter another look, sometimes I toss a submarine pitch in there too. Another thing I do is every now and then I’ll stop at my balance point and hold the pose for a few seconds and then pop a fastball in there.

When you don’t have nasty stuff or can’t throw your best off-speed pitch you have to be creative to throw batters off balance. In my experience being comfortable is the biggest factor in whether or not you will hit well, so doing what you can to make a batter uncomfortable is to your benefit on the hill.

Hi, Pustulio.
(sigh) Those coaches. They don’t want you to throw this or that because THEY don’t want to look bad? What’s the matter with them—is it because they themselves can’t? Or are they concerned more with bragging rights or something ridiculous like that, that they want to deprive you of your best pitch? I say, don’t listen to them. Throw that knuckler if it’s your putaway pitch, and if they don’t like it, let them call you “k’nccknissel” (a term meaning “nutcracker”).
Or, tell them “If you think you can do better, go grab a glove and get out there on the mound and pitch and see how you do!” :o

Zita, your a gienus :wink:

I’m guessing these are the same coaches who you were talking about in your other topic?

That would be correct, same coaches.

But I’ve been fine without it, just have to be more creative. They value throwing hard and running fast over knowledge of the game for some reason. They’d rather have a guy who can leg out a triple but cannot hit or bunt than someone who isn’t very quick but will drive in the run or get the bunt down.

They’d rather see the kid who throws 85+ mph on the mound but sets the ball on a tee than the kid who throws 75 mph and is crafty enough to locate, mix speeds and get outs.

Raw talent seems to be the only concern to these guys and it tells me they aren’t as smart as they think they are. What good is running speed if the kid isn’t on the bases to begin with or can’t read a pop-fly? What good is throwing hard if every pitch is either belt high or at the backstop?

4-Seam: Has a small tail to it due to my lower arm angle. I usually just bust it in there late in the count(low and away).

2-Seam: Has a very tight break, great to throw high and tight to jam hitters. This is usually mixed in with my next pitch.

Circle Change: This pitch is very, very effective for me. It has a small drop, and it really gets hitters off balance.

Slurve/Power Curve: Good to get a little jump or flinch out of the batters. It’s a little scarier coming out of my lower arm angle… It really looks like it might hit you at times.

12-6 Curve: Waste pitch on 0-2 counts, has a very tight break and it just falls off the table. I get a lot of swings at it and few groundballs. Only problem is that I have to change my arm angle so if the batter knows me well, I will basically be telegraphing the pitch to him.

Knuckleball: This pitch has that elusive side-to-side “knuckle” movement(hence the name knuckleball) to it early, then it drops just like a 12-6 curve. This is a recently developed pitch and I hope to use it in games when I’m just dominating and get to mess around on some 0-2 counts. It really may be my go-to pitch when I can improve on it.

Four seam- 72-75mph
Slider- 65-68mph
3 fingered change- 62-65 mph
12 6 curve (almost an eephus)- 50-55 mph

I have 3 standard pitches and then I mix in the eephus about 5-6 times a game. It really throws off hitters if you can learn to hit the zone with it.

I’m 14.
2 seam 70-73
4 seam 76-80
curve 65-68
circle change 66-69