What Metrics should I have or exceed to be able to make my high school team?

Im a 9th grader trying out for my highschool team this spring. Please below list the metrics they will most likely measure at the tryouts and what numbers they are looking for. I know that metrics aren’t everything, but they definitely help you a lot and are a difference maker. Please tell me as well what the difference in numbers between JV and Varsity metrics would be.

Let me qualify myself before suggesting an opinion. I am not with the amateur game nor have I any experience with high school ball. None. So what follows is logic, not experience to where you’re about to go.

In my opinion, those metrics expectations are the domain of the high school program that you’re about to enter. Different programs have different thresholds of intensity. These programs have a pattern of placing players on the bench, on the field, and even in sublevels or classifications. Incoming freshmen, for example, can be slotted on a “freshmen club” by deliberate decisions handed down by a league or other authority - thus exempting freshmen from JV and varsity ball.

I would suggest looking at the record and tempo of competition from prior years. See how intense, or how high the bar is raised and what demands are place on players. I’ve seen extremely competitive high school clubs with a rather high water mark with respect to dedication and deliberate focus on nothing but baseball. Some even skirt the governing authorities by being year round programs, and discreetly at that.

Have you attended any games played by both the JV and varsity? Do you know anything about the coaching atmosphere you’re walking into to? Do any of your current or prior coaches know of this high school program? What is their opinion of this high school? Were you a program player for you past teams - by that I mean a first string player, a “go to guy?” What KNOWN qualities do you bring to the field that would make this high school want you? Are any of your friends going with you and want to play ball there?

Finally, I would concentrate on what you know and what you can do best. Going into a totally new social as well as an athletic environment can be a big step for you. You’ll be going in a lot of directions at once, to be sure. As the offseason progresses, take a look around, see the pecking order of things at your new school and who the big guys are and how their treated. Take careful note of the “clicks” that attract certain types of teenagers. See how you fit in, and how you don’t. Personalities are just as important as playing ability, so don’t sell that aspect of getting along short. So, be conservative at first, get to know you surroundings and who’s “in” and why.

For now, if you haven’t started a healthy, well rounded breakfast plan - DO SO NOW. Set priorities for yourself with time management of getting to bed so you can get at least 7 hours sleet, get your stuff organized the night before for school, plan for enough homework time and stick to it, limit social distractions after school an into the evenings, and finally - don’t do things off the field that distract from what you do on the field.

This is a big learning curve in your life. Discipline yourself now using baseball as an objective and this pattern of behavior will serve you for the rest of your life.
Best wishes with your new high school and your baseball experience - you’ll do just fine.

Coach B.

Not sure they’re looking at “metrics”. Best guess is they want arms & athletes.

I went to a tryout recently for a travel team, they looked at my 60 yard dash, home to first time, my bat speed, my arm strength. I didn’t make the team not because I couldn’t make the plays or hit the ball, it was because my arm strength was weak, Im slow. and I need to improve my bat speed.

I’m just wondering the average metrics for a 9th grader that makes his highschool team is for the following and please include other things they might measure as well:

60 yard dash:
home to first time:
Bat Speed:
Bat Exit Speed:
Arm strength:

So much of what you are asking depends on where you live and the size of your school. Where I live…most of the U15 travel teams would be better than the average D1 freshman teams. Most of the smaller schools in our area do not even field freshman teams…just JV and Varsity. My point is that the competition to make that travel team could be better than to make your high school team.

I can speak from personal experience as my son was a freshman last year. He pitched quite a bit on the JV team and he was probably 72-73 for velocity. On the freshman team…probably one or two that threw harder and quite a few that were probably upper 60s and they still pitched quite a bit. This is for an average D1 team in Ohio.

As far as ball exit speed…if you aren’t at least close to 70. You are going to have trouble putting the ball in play hard enough to get on base.

The best advise I would say is to make sure you attend the fall and winter workouts leading up to the tryouts. Coaches need to get to know you and your work ethic. If a coach has two kids that are similar in skills…they are always going to lean to the kid that gives 100% everyday and was engaged in the off season program. If you can get in the weight room that would help with all of the above metrics as well.

As others have said a lot depends on the level of your HS program. My sons freshman class had over 40 try out and 15 taken . They have Freshman, JV & Varsity and normally start the fall between 50-60 players after cuts. From a pitching standpoint there were 12 that were 70 or better off the mound (all didn’t end up as pitchers), was considered to be a strong class. Same classification & similar size school about 15 miles away only fields JV & Vasiity, around 20 + or - year to year in the program. Many of the kids play both ends of a JV/Varsity double header due to lack of players. One of their assistant coaches told me a few years back anyone that showed up and could do the basics made the team. By basics I mean do the simple things without being in danger on the field because they couldn’t catch a ball. In your case I’d worry about improving rather than metrics. Metrics are what they are at this point with tryouts upcoming in the very near future. You’ve made significant strides with your mechinaical issues throwing a ball but to get better you need to push it to the next level. I suggested to you a while back to do the “run & gun” without a radar gun. This is simply getting a running go and throwing the ball into a net with maximum intent. I would encourage you to get someone to film you with a camera capable of playback in slow motion. I believe your body will adjust to find more efficient movement patterns and clean up a lot of issues (such as an extremely short stride). Compare this with your throwing and mound videos, I believe you’ll see a marked difference. To throw hard you need to learn how to throw with intent & I believe this will help you get a feel for it. Speed and agility training classes are relatively inexpensive and can be helpful but just like anything else don’t expect overnight transformations. A lot of hard work and tenacity is required to get you to be the best you can be. Another piece of advice I’ll give is have a positive attitude and hustle ALL of the time. Show up for the tryouts with all of your required equipment, baseball attire suited for the occasion, shirt tucked in and always address your coaches with “yes sir and no sir”. Treat your teammates with respect and don’t goof off. The little things might be the difference if you or another player get the roster spot if a close call. If you make the team continue to learn and work hard to improve. If you don’t make it this time do the same and try to find somewhere to play in the meantime. Show up at the next tryout as an improved player with the same great attitude; don’t give up.

I live in the northern VA area which isn’t as good as California or Texas, but definitely is better then places such as Minnosota. Also, this area has alot of money which contributes to people being better here.

Keep that GPA higher than your ERA. Plain and simple.

Most of those drills are to satisfy curiosity. I look for hustle, focus, desire to be there, drive to improve, attitude, how do they interact with the other players and coaches, etc.

I look at technique over results in drills like fielding ground balls for example. If a kid gets 2-3 grounders in a tryout and boots one, it’s not the end of the world if his technique is good. I’m looking for arms and bats, in general. I can teach anyone to play at least one position effectively.

Anyone can hit frozen ropes in BP. If they can’t hit the ball in BP, then they’re probably not making the team unless they can pitch or sprint like the wind.

Are you talking about pitching or playing a position? My sons high school coach wants a .600 strike% to be considered for a pitching role

A pitcher should be able to throw 80% or higher strikes in a bullpen situation where throwing strikes is the only goal. If you can’t get more than 50% then no coach will give you a chance. 60% does not seem unreasonable.

My school is pretty tough, there’s a lot of kids and for pitching, the coach wants to see 75 mph for JV and like 85 for varsity. I didn’t make it because of this. I don’t know about 60 yard dash but I would imagine he’d like to see a 6 point something.