What is the "Wall Drill"

I’ve heard it but have never heard anything about it, can someone please help. Thanks.

The only one that I know of is get in your set position with home plate opposite the wall. Then you go through your windup and when you bring the ball up, the ball should be against the wall with the back of your hand facing you. This is a common drill to teach the young kids not to have the ball face them. However, most of us do not do it like this…a lot of us most likely bring the ball up facing towards third base (for a righty). Different strokes for different folks!

Aaahhhh … this one I know all to well, from a coach’s stand point anyway.

I’ll give hours and hours of … " do this, … now think about what we just did … ok, now give it a try … just like we practiced."

Oh-boy … ok, let’s go through the drill again …"do this, … now think about what we just did … ok, now give it a try … just like we practiced.

Another stretch of hours goes by… I stroll over to the dugout wall … lean towards the stencil sign that says “NO PEPPER”, stare the first brick in the eye and say in earnest …"do this, … now think about what we just did … ok, now give it a try … just like we practiced. :nosleep:

Coach B

The NPA has a drill they call the Wall Drill. Don’t know if it’s the same drill you’re referring to.

This drill is more of a position drill than a movement drill. You start by getting in a position as if you have just taken your stride with your stride toe against a wall, hips and shoulders still closed, and arms equal and opposite. Next you shift your weight towards the wall until your stride knee touches the wall. Then open your hips. Then you rotate your shoulders, swivel and stabilize your glove, stack and track your torso until your glove and throwing hand touch the wall. Press against the wall with the back side of the glove and with the throwing hand in the fastball position. Hold for a count of five and then supinate the throwing hand into the curveball position and press it against the wall. Hold for a count of five and then pronate the throwing hand into the palm-out change-up position and press it against the wall. Hold for a count of five and release.

This drill puts you body in the positions it goes through during your delivery so you can feel what it feels like. It also develops some strength in some of those positions.

Different strokes for different folks. I exhibited what MLB coaches call “sticking” when I was a freshman in high school, you will see Andy Petitte do it and David Wells also got away with it. It refers to extending your arm on your downswing behind and away from your body rather than towards second base. For a righty your arm will be between second and first a lefty second and third. By separating against a wall your arm has no where to go. Good muscle memory.