What is the most deadly pitching combo?

I was wondering what is the best 3 or 4 pitch repertoire to have for me. I have a average speed fastball, and i usually throw high strike with a four seam. So for a start i was thinking on adding the 2 seam so it will move down in the strike zone. What other two pitches should I have so I can make a deadly combo?

Also, Yesterday before my game I was playing catch from a long distance, I noticed movement on my two seam (mostly horizontal) but when I pitch i dont notice as much, Is it just because the ball is traveling further or am I doing something wrong?

Pitches tail when your arm is fully extended out in front of your body. Maybe when you play long toss you get out further than when you do during pitching.

Oh thanks redwingpitcher, that makes sense…

One of the most lethal pitch combinations I know of is the fastball-slider-changeup. A lot of major league pitchers used it: Spud Chandler, Vic Raschi to name two, and C.C. Sabathia uses it too. This is especially true of sidearm pitchers, who can and do add the crossfire move. With this, a curve ball, although nice to have, is not particularly necessary.
And if you have a two-seam fastball you can keep the ball down and get a lot of ground-ball outs that way. :slight_smile:

Fastball in, changeup away and then 2 seamer in and a bit up, gets a weak grounder all the time.

fb inside, chg, chg usually gets some swing and misses if u can place the chg in the 5 hole

I like to use a high inside fastball, then folowing that an inside 12/6.

It depends on your throwing style. Flamethrowers that have a good hard fastball usually use that pitch in tandem with a slider. The faster your fastball is the less time a hitter has to gear up for it, thus, if you can throw a slider and the hitter has to stay prepared for a hard fastball, by the time they realize it’s a slider and not a fastball, it’s too late. The best locations to throw a slider is the outside corner and let it move outside the strike zone for a swing and miss or run it ight below the hands into the inside corner, both are nearly unhittable if you set them up with hard fastballs.

And if you don’t have a fastball?
I was one of those finesse pitchers who didn’t have a fastball to speak of, so I had to go to an extensive arsenal of breaking stuff, control and command, and deception and misdirection. My best pitch was a slider which I had nicknamed “Filthy McNasty” (after a character in an old W.C. Fields movie) because that was exactly what it was, and my second best pitch was a very good knuckle-curve—both featuring a sharp late break; I built my whole repertoire around those two pitches. I used to get the biggest kick out of watching those opposing batters as they stood there at the plate waiting…and waiting…and waiting…for a pitch they would never get because I didn’t have one…and I would set them up for that slider, especially when I would crossfire it (I was a natural sidearmer). Strike three, and they would return to their benches foaming at the mouth, with nothing but a futile AB to show for it.
My wise and wonderful pitching coach once told me that just about any pitch could be turned into a nice changeup, and he demonstrated a few of them for me. I promptly added them to my repertoire, and I used them wisely and well. And always there was that slider… :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher:

I don’t throw hard Zita, Only 80ish. I rely on finesse and breaking pitches as well. I just know that harder throwers have an advantage naturally in the department of reaction time, but Greg Maddux was one of the best and he mastered command and location. Slider-Fastball…good combo. Randy Johnson threw a hard slider that really complemented his hard fastball.

Any combo is deadly if you master command.

That was where I topped out—low 80s. Somewhere along the line I had picked up a pitch that I called a “whoops” pitch because I didn’t know what else to call it, and when my pitching coach timed it he told me I had a good little four-seamer, 81, 82 MPH, to go with my closetful of breaking pitches and offspeed stuff. I was surprised to find this out.
The funny thing was that when I would come in there with it after a couple of slower pitches the thing looked to the batters as if were coming in at 95! I guess that was where the “whoops” came in—the batter would swing and miss and go “Whoops, missed it again!” And on an 0-2 or 1-2 count—ole Filthy McNasty, and another strikeout. Caught looking or swing and miss, it didn’t matter, it was a strikeout. 8)

[quote=“EricB814”]I was wondering what is the best 3 or 4 pitch repertoire to have for me. I have a average speed fastball, and i usually throw high strike with a four seam. So for a start i was thinking on adding the 2 seam so it will move down in the strike zone. What other two pitches should I have so I can make a deadly combo?
Also, Yesterday before my game I was playing catch from a long distance, I noticed movement on my two seam (mostly horizontal) but when I pitch i dont notice as much, Is it just because the ball is traveling further or am I doing something wrong?[/quote]

Definitely add a changeup and either a curveball or slider.
Changeups- splitter, fosh change, c-change, circle-change.
Play catch for a while using different change-up grips, find which one is most comfortable for you.
A fastball/change-up combo is one of the most dangerous for baseball hitters (I think).

When you were playing catch, were you releasing the ball differently,
holding it tighter, doing anything especially different?