What is the average velocity range for a 15yr old?

Does anyone have a chart that breaks down how fast you should be throwing at each age? I have a coach who cut our son who is 15 year old and throwing 66/67 mph he said he was to slow!

From what I’ve seen it all depends on your area. I know top teams that I’ve played were kids are throwing 85+, but those are few and far between. I’d say the average is around mid seventies? That’s what I see from my area for competitive pitchers. But it all depends on your son and his height, physical maturity, etc. I would say mid 60s seems a little below average for 15, but he’s right close to average and still has plenty of time to develop. I guess it all depends on how talented the people are around you. In my area there aren’t many pitchers but the ones that pitch throw pretty good. If the pitchers on the team your son tried out for are throwing harder than him l, he’ll have to catch up to get on that team

http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/youth_baseball_pitching_speeds.htm

Here’s a link to a column on this site from Steven Ellis. Was it a school or travel team?

From where I sit, although I’m not into the amateur game, this selection process is so dependent on the influences and whims of so many things, and the various temperaments of so many people, I wouldn’t put to much stock in evaluations right now.

In a perfect world…as coaches would say from my business and in my experience … “if the world were flat, we’d all be on the same level… but we’re not.”

So, I think your son will get his day in the sun … it may not be the sun that shines where these coach and others are, their process casts a long shadow, but your son will be his day, just be patient. Besides, different levels of competition require different qualities of play. Find a level that suits your son now and in the future. I know that’s easier said then done.

My nephew is 15, throws in the low 70- mid 70’s and will make the V-team as a pitcher in a 5A school. He does have good stuff and control, just not overpowering.

General rule of thumb for good-to-great velocity is AGE x 5 MPH. So, at 10, 50; at 12, 60; at 15, 75, at 17, 85. Rule is not fixed, of course, affected substantially by physical development.

66/67 for a 15 year old is a bit on the slower side, however movement, velocity changes, and placement can make up for lack of top velocity. I was “slow” in high school but had a wicked curve and pitched all through high school. No reason for your son to be cut. A good coach would work with him. Did your son just turn 15 or is he closer to 16?

Thanks for the replies. This high school also has a baseball club they are affiliated, so if you played select with them you made the team regardless of talent. It just so happens we played for the rival club. Never crossed my mind that it would matter in making the High School team. My delima now is whether to stay at this school or transfer. Since he has not played for this school and he is not attempting to play on the Varsity I think he can without penalty but the UIL rules can be misleading sometimes

This is only an opinion based on knowing nothing else but some basic’s about the high school experience.

High school prepares a young man to experience social, academic and some parts of the “world-of-things” all wrapped up in a somewhat controlled environment. Unless there’s more to your son’s environment that what’s stated in your postings, I would suggest letting your son deal with the overall high school experience, come home and talk to you, then learn from the roads that you’ve traveled, then return to high school the next day and road-test your advice, sort of speak. If baseball is the only fly in the ointment, there’s always summer ball and such - unless his high school ball carries over into all the summer leagues in your area.

I’ve seen the results of pulling a young man out of one school, just to satisfy a sport - it’s not good for many… not all mind you… just enough of the sample population that I’ve seen and met. One of the biggest drawbacks that I’ve seen is the lack of social friendships outside the usual family and close friends… friends that either live next door, down the street and so forth.

So the big picture is worth sitting back and looking at with some time and patience, balancing the experiences of life in total. I sincerely wish you the best in this process. I’ve never had to deal with this as a father so I can only suggest from a different perspective.

You have your answer right there. So many coaches play favorites regardless of talent. The team is selected based upon how difficult it would be to interact with the parents if their son were to be cut. I’m guessing you do not run in the same social circles with the coach, so he took the easy way out and cut your child instead of someone he sees on a more regular basis. Lots of coaches hate to have uncomfortable situations with other parents.

65-75 mph is the range the majority of 15 year olds throw… with 75-80 mph being the higher end.

My son is 13, he will be 14 in a month. He is 5’8 125lbs. He mainly plays outfield, pitches occasionally. At a recent team tryout, he was timed for arm velocity throwing from 2nd base to home. He was clocked at 71mph, is there a way to figure out what his speed is from 60’ mound? He has never been timed other than this, he has thrown many runners out at home from CF on 60/90 field, but I am not sure of how far he is actually throwing?
I would like to know, but I don’t want to get to wrapped up in pitching at this young an age. I figure if he throws hard, when he is in high school his coach will notice. Just wondering?

I look at it this way–if he throws 71 from 45 feet, he essentially throws the same -1 or -2 mph from 60 feet. The ball is slowing down as soon as it’s released, and the rate at which it slows down increases as distance from release increases. From 60 feet, the ball slows down between 5-7mph as it travels that distance. It’s the scaled velocities based upon the time it takes to get to the plate that causes pitchers to struggle against a hitter who now has more time to read the pitch and react to it.

Good answer coach! The only other thing I might add to the answer that coach Paul provided would be the angle at which you throwing off of a mound versus the straight throw from one base to another. Depending on the height of the mound it could possibly impact your rate of velocity by 2 to 3 mph plus or minus depending on the pitchers mechanics of course.

This is just my opinion but I don’t think it is to early for you to be working with your son to develop his pitching mechanics. After all, there’s no better way to get closer to your son than 60 feet apart on a regular basis. Lastly, while there are many great High School coaches out there I wouldn’t just rely on the coaches to identify his talents. High School coaches have so many kids coming through each year and each season that sometimes they don’t always identify every players talent level as soon as they should or one would expect and then unfortunately there is always going to be politics. Having knowledge is power, so the more you know about your son baseball skillsets the better off you will be and the closer bond you will build with you son.

I have a catch with my son at least twice week for 8 months out of the year in the driveway or the back yard depending upon the weather.

I also catch a couple of bullpens for him where we take things more seriously. I try not to talk to him at all about his form or mechanics while we play catch. We just talk about everything other than baseball. When we have the pens, we’re all business.

It’s important to keep it fun as well as knowing when to buckle down.

Is it typical to use a second base to home throw to check arm velocity? If it is, what is the goal of this test and can it correlate to pitch speed? If the ball slows down over a distance, is 71 typically the average speed? If so, can I assume that he probably throws with more speed from 60 feet? I’m probably looking to into this, just don’t know if that is considered a strong arm for a 13-14 year old or just average. If it matters, all five throws appeared very accurate.

Looking for under 2 seconds on a throw from 2nd to home. Catchers in HS are usually pop to pop in under 2.5 seconds and good times are 2.25 or less. That includes getting up, transferring, getting a good grip, letting it fly, and having it caught reasonably near the bag by the middle infielder.

It is a somewhat unusual test. If it was at a camp they were probably looking for infield throwing speed. Usually, peak speed is measured (ball just out of hand) so distance won’t really matter. 71 is pretty good for that age. Might throw 73-74 from the mound because of the added height of the mound.

Ted

His Birthday is in late January so he is young and his body hasn’t really started to develop yet. He has good stuff and although his fastball velocity might be a little slower, his 2 seam moves wickedly cutting away 2 to 3 inches before cutting back inward and down. His circle chng and curveball come in at 48 and 53.

Even though he has been learning how to pitch since he was 12yrs old, he is not one of those kid who has pitched a ton.
Unfortunately, Dylan had to play on several different teams as his 12u AA team dismantled so we moved up to 13AAA and then that coach retired so again we had to switch teams. This time to the Dirtbag baseball club team thinking we were getting away from having to switch teams but that team also dismantled due to players leaving for their High school teams. So he has always been the new player and when every kid pitches the new kid is always last.

My biggest worry now is keeping him playing as that coach has destroyed his confidence so much that last night before our pen he told me that he has been doubting himself and whether he should continue pitching anymore. Hard to see and hear! I reassured him that he is great ball player and that we will get through this together. I told him that baseball has window, a grand father clock, and everyone who has ever played this great game of baseball has a time, a time when this great game we love so much to play, will pass you by. Don’t let anyone be in charge of when your opportunity to play baseball passes you by! If you will just keep working hard and give a 110% that everything will work itself out and that he will become successful at whatever he choses to do!

Baseball has a funny way of teaching players and coaches as well as fans valuable lessons and a weird way of working things out. He was better but very emotionally still and is been a few weeks.

Tell him to keep working hard and never give up. I have a story for you. There is a guy in my town who opened a sophisticated indoor baseball facility. My 13-year old son was on a “training team” his facility ran this summer (batting, fielding, core conditioning, no games, no pitching). I was talking to this guy one day in the facility. He was telling me how he was terrible as a youth in Little League, and terrible as a teenager in high school too, and was about to quit high school ball when he decided to refocus and work hard. He improved. You know who he is? He pitched more than 12 seasons in MLB and in two World Series.

“Never, never, never give up.” - Winston Churchill