What is the average amount of strikes a 13 year old throws

i have been pitching for 5 years strait. and I throw about 80% strikes I’m pretty sure this is pretty good but i want to know how much is the average strikes a 13 year old normally throws?

The MLB average is around 62% strikes.

Is that the average for when they were 13 or how old they are now?

The MLB average means very little to a 13 year old player. The strike zones called by umps in youth ball are much more generous and the batters are much more likely to swing at bad pitches.

My point was that if the MLB average is 62%, 80% is pretty good, all things equal! Of course strike zones are different, as are the batters, and the bats, and the field dimensions, and the umpires, and everything else, but that wasn’t the question!

MLB means in MLB.

At 13 years old, an 80% Strike rate is very good. We use the A3P scoring system at our high school to rate pitching performance. We want a 66% A3P score as the benchmark and we drive for no less than a 50% rate. If a pitcher is not in the 50% rate and above, we know our chance of winning the game is slim.

At 13 you need to start thinking about how hit-able your strikes are to a batter. Throwing strikes will no longer just be good enough once you hit the HS level. Kids that make the HS teams can hit the ball. So, does your strikes relate to swing and misses? Do your strikes induce ground balls? Are you a pop fly pitcher? Do you live low and on the outside of the plate? How lively is your FB and have your started working on a change-up and possibly a curve? 13 is the age to start working on the curve and hopefully you already have a “REAL” change-up and not the standard “throw it slower” little league change up.

what is an A3P score? i can’t find a definition online

A3P (Attack in 3 Pitches) was created by Missou as a way to track their pitchers ability to “get ahead in the count.”

Various schools use it in a different way than Missou originally created it for their program but the essence is the same. We record each pitchers A3P per batter. It gives a metric that if the majority of the batters are behind in the count after 3 pitches, there is a higher chance for an out. Balls in play are considered “strikes” no matter where they were in the strike zone. Of course the metric itself is not a “tale tell sign” of complete success, but in developing pitchers we want them to work from an “ahead” position verses a “behind” position.

It is a way to judge if you are throwing strikes basically and getting to a 1-2 or better count against the batter.

Gamechanger and iScore track strike % so you can get a lot of data from these apps. At the rec league level I have seen that the teams that can get most of their pitchers throwing above 50% are doing pretty well. The best pitchers in rec ball are two types:

1. high velocity (so long as they can throw at least 50% strikes)

2. good command and possibly change of speed (to be used only against the better batters) - but this requires at least 60% strike percentage, and preferably 65%.

Once you get into travel ball, you generally won’t even get to pitch if your strike % is below 50%, from what I’ve seen. Command - the ability to throw pitches to certain location (low/outside corner, high/inside corner, etc.) becomes a very important tool to make life difficult for batters. Those players who have the ability to throw a strike at will (above 65%) can now focus more on locating pitches precisely and that will result in more balls.

If you have an 80% strike %, it likely means you’re not aiming for the corners of the plate, which you should be doing any time you have a favorable count against a good batter.

Generally a good game plan is to just throw strikes down the middle against lesser hitters but if you know a hitter can easily get quality contact off of fastballs down the middle, you’re better off going for corners and changing speed to keep them off balance, which increases the chance they’ll get a low quality hit like a popup or weak grounder. Throwing these kinds of pitches will cause your strike % to go down.

I had a kid on my team last year with a 75% strike % who kept throwing pitches right down the middle and the opposing hitters kept hitting him, for a collective batting average of over .400. This was rec ball so that is a ridiculously high batting average against. Towards the end of the season I finally got him to start hitting corners of the strike zone. His strike % went down a little but the opposing batting average went down a lot.