What is considered fast?

I am a senior in high school, a lefty, and my fastball is about 84-86mph. I hear sometimes thats bad, but I know its not that bad when coaches get excited when they hear im lefty and throw in the mid 80s.

Thats good velocity but major league scouts and a lot of D-1 college scouts look for a fastball to be around 88-90 MPH range. So i’m guessing that anything above 87 MPH would be considered “fast”. But velocity isn’t everything good control and movement can also get you looked at and also good offspeed stuff.

yea and thats what ive heard from multiple people. and i was clocked at 84-86 in a 5 inning outing last fall. i have worked hard over the winter break and i feel like im throwing a tad bit harder than i was then.

i agree with the control. i have very good movement on all of my pitches. and i control all of them pretty well. (some days i have to lay off my changeup though) im just trying to see what is typical and what i need to strive for this summer.

I know what you mean about the change-up it can be a bitch sometimes lol. But what I would recommend you work on is conditioning and your mechanics. Try to get them to look as smooth as possible and as effortless as you can. That’s what all the scouts I’ve talked to have told me. Also work on your arm motion try to avoid the inverted L and inverted W because they rant that very low. They also look at your lower body mechanics so try to get video taped to see where your mechanics are at.

One of the things that helped me increase velocity and shoulder strength plus it helped to reduce soreness was a 5-pound weight program. I’ll post pictures of the exercises in another reply.

Everything’s relative. It depends on what type of pitcher you are, whether you’re a fireballer who is constantly clocked at 100 miles an hour or better or a snake-jazzer, a finesse pitcher for whom 81 miles an hour is pretty fast. You may be somewhere in the middle, with your top speed somewhere between 85 and 90—some pitchers like that are what has come to be known as “sneaky fast”; they’re either faster than they look or look faster than they actually are. But whatever your speed, the most essential thing is control and command of your pitches—no one wants to be known as “the pitcher had electric stuff but couldn’t find the plate”!
I was one of those snake-jazzers—not much on speed but with a very good arsenal of assorted breaking stuff which I built around a slider which I nicknamed “Filthy McNasty” and a knuckle-curve. A little later on I suddenly acquired, don’t ask me how, an 81MPH four-seamer which my pitching coach told me was, for a finesse pitcher such as me, a fast ball. And I added it to my repertoire. So you see, it really does take all kinds. 8)

On me getting video taped, ive been doing that and im working on timing for opening my hips up and my stride. I have good balance after release so Im not flying off anywhere, I stay centered. And Ive also been working on keeping the ball in the hand as long as possible on my fastball. Instead of just pulling down and releasing the ball so my arm has accelerated as much as possible. And thank you for offering to show those pictures. I would like to see them.

And I would say I fall into that sneaky fast. Im not the fastest pitcher but I can throw my fastball past batters but thats also from my down and away movement to righties. I have good control, on some of my worst days I just have a hard time hitting the corners, just outside just inside or a little too much over the plate. And my changeup is my least thrown pitch and i used to have difficulties with it. But all winter i have been doing fastball/changeup drills while throwing so it feels much more comfortable. My curveball is my best pitch, if I have a full count I would be comfortable with throwing it for a strike. I just added a slider/cutter not sure which it will develop more into just yet. So I will have to see how I do with it in a game.

On me getting video taped, ive been doing that and im working on timing for opening my hips up and my stride. I have good balance after release so Im not flying off anywhere, I stay centered. And Ive also been working on keeping the ball in the hand as long as possible on my fastball. Instead of just pulling down and releasing the ball so my arm has accelerated as much as possible. And thank you for offering to show those pictures. I would like to see them.

And I would say I fall into that sneaky fast. Im not the fastest pitcher but I can throw my fastball past batters but thats also from my down and away movement to righties. I have good control, on some of my worst days I just have a hard time hitting the corners, just outside just inside or a little too much over the plate. And my changeup is my least thrown pitch and i used to have difficulties with it. But all winter i have been doing fastball/changeup drills while throwing so it feels much more comfortable. My curveball is my best pitch, if I have a full count I would be comfortable with throwing it for a strike. I just added a slider/cutter not sure which it will develop more into just yet. So I will have to see how I do with it in a game.

Well, from a hitter’s standpoint, try to release the ball as late as possible while still being able to hit spots. Every foot that your arm extends before release point looks like an extra 3mph if you know what i mean. And now, scouts care more about how it looks, rather than what the radar says. My uncle is a pro scout for the Tigers, and he validated that.

And that brings up another thing I have been hearing. People have been trying to help me stretch out my delivery so i am closer to home plate at release. Thank you for that TCB, I had not thought about that.

Just wanted to say, you mentioned you’re a lefty. Most scouts will cut you some slack on throwing 90 or whatever if you’re a lefty.

why is that? just b/c there are fewer lefties?

84-86 is not something to be ashamed of, especially from the left side. Every school anywhere is looking for lefties, they are a commodity at the college level. As for your original question of “What is considered fast”, there are different opinions. From my high school days, my area was always well known for it’s hard throwers, “fast” would be somewhere in the mid 90’s. In 2 years, we had 5 pitchers from my conference drafted in the top 10 rounds. My sophomore year alone, I was the #3 on the staff, we had 2 pitchers get drafted, one sat 91-93 the other was 93-94 topping at 96. One of our rival schools had a guy throwing 95+ and at another school one sitting in the 94 area (he went to a school to play CF due to a lack of control, he just closed for them). The next year at 4 different schools there were 3 guys 92-93 and another that was 94-95. Our conference just had some absolute freaks. In my own opinion, for high school, anyone 85+ would be considered fast. But at the college level, I would have to say 92+ would be considered fast.

thanks for all the feedback. im looking at my odds right now. im going to college next year and trying to get a look at what many other players will be throwing.

Velocity is all relative you could have a kid thats 5ft 10 throwing 93 and someone 6ft 4 throwing 88 and with the downward motion the tall guy is getting it would be or could be alot harder to hit