What is a good bat speed?

I was just wondering cause I have no idea how fast my swing should be.

Idk, if you can get around on the ball then you should be just fine.

but what would be a speed that scouts would consider good? cause I can hit homers, but IDK how fast I swing the bat.

Well it’s kind of hard to measure is the thing. Idk what my bat speed is even.

I don’t hit a lot of home runs but, I nail the ball the other way and up the middle, high average hitter.

Four years ago in high school I had a bat speed of approx. 85… and no one on the team even broke 60, besides me. I don’t know much about great bat speed or anything but it seems that, must be an excellent number in high school, maybe?

FYI, I worked out in the swimming pool swimming that bat under water…that helps alot, A-Rod does it…

Bat speed can be measured when a hitter hits a ball off a tee, thus the radar gun will detect the speed of the ball. In college upper nineties is good bat speed. I’ve seen as high as around 105

Along with the roids :lol:

Along with the roids :lol:[/quote]

Did you even educate yourself before making that statement?

Hammer,

105 is impressive, I saw one come off at 112 with aluminum. With wood I think the highest I can recall was 93 and that was a HS Senior.

To be a successful hitter you do not have to have a huge bat speed. One of the greatest hitters in Major League Baseball has one of the slower or more average bats, can you guess who it is? Albert Pujols. His bat speed is at or a little below 85 MPH. The reason why he is such a great hitter is because he gets the barrel of his bat into the path of the ball quickly, and keeps it there for a long time. The distance his bat travels in the plane of the ball is about 5 feet, which helps him make up for the lack of bat speed. Some guys can swing 95-100 MPH, but their bat stays in the hitting zone (path of the baseball) for a very short time, thus reducing their chances to hit the ball. Therefore, you should work on getting your bat into the plane of the ball quickly, and keep it there longer.

Comeon, no chance that Pujols’ bat speed is under 85 mph. No chance. This post doesn’t make any sense at all. Pujols has tremendous bat speed.

Yeah, I know it doesn’t sound lovely, but Pujols was hooked up to a sensor machine that measured his bat speed, and that was the result. The difference that was shown though, was that the plane of his swing was much better than the majority of players with a faster swing. Now, there is a difference between having a fast swing, and having quick hands, which Pujols definitely has. You also have to realize that his off-season regimen provides tremendous strength to his body.

Tremendous strength + Extremely quick hands + incredible big league hitter = No bat speed? Hmmm… makes alot of sense.

Alright, I got the EXACT number of MPH it’s not 85; it’s 86.99. You have to understand what I’m saying: it’s not the batspeed that makes the hitter, it’s the swing, the technique, and the skill. I could be the strongest person in the world and I could swing the fastest bat, but if I don’t have the correct swing, I won’t produce results. Yeah, when I make good contact, I’ll hit it far, BUT, if I am not consistent, that won’t be very often.

Here’s the link:

Pretty cool link…

Couple things…

1. Pujols, complaining of a strained back, may have “held himself back a bit” on some of the tests, but his results compared favorably with those of Ruth.

2. We don’t know how this 86 mph was tested. Obviously in a much different manner than how a random college coach would test bat speed.

3. No where in the article did it say that his bat speed was slow for the big league level. Thus I refer back to #2 in that this is different testing. Not necessarily flawed, but much different.

It all makes sense. My statement though is that it is not “bat speed” that makes a great hitter. That’s why I would focus on the proper mechanics of your swing, and good timing.

Good post. I’ll buy that.

Thanks Hammer. By the way, that’s my nickname. haha

Ha, gotta have a good curveball to have this nickname.

Bagwell swung it in the 70’s, which is quite slow for a MLBer. Nomar (in his prime) was in the 90’s, and Sosa and McGwire were in the 100’s.