What is a backup slider?

What does it mean to throw a backup slider or a backup fastball? I’ve heard commentators on MLB network talk about breaking balls that “back up” .

A backup slider is a slider that starts inside and breaks over the inside corner, in a RH/RH or LH/LH matchup.

I’m assuming a backup fastball would be the same thing with a fastball that has run. A recent example might would be Matt Capps’ looking K of Ortiz in the All Star game. The fastball starts out well inside and tails over the inside corner.

Sorry Kevo, your thinking of a BACKDOOR slider. A backup slider is a hanging slider. No such thing as a back up fastball, unless they were trying to say that a two seamer or cutter didn’t move.[/youtube]

Or I could be mistaken and backup is just another term for backdoor, but that is the usage I have always seen

No. A “back-up slider” is a pitch thrown inside to the same side batter in order to get them to freeze or back away from the plate. Best case is the pitch catches the inside corner for a called strike.

A “backdoor slider” is a pitch thrown to the opposite side batter that starts off the plate but catches the outside corner (this the name backdoor) for a called strike. It’s usually thrown to try and get the batter out looking but can be thrown earlier in the AB.

No. A “back-up slider” is a pitch thrown inside to the same side batter in order to get them to freeze or back away from the plate. Best case is the pitch catches the inside corner for a called strike.

A “backdoor slider” is a pitch thrown to the opposite side batter that starts off the plate but catches the outside corner (this the name backdoor) for a called strike. It’s usually thrown to try and get the batter out looking but can be thrown earlier in the AB.[/quote]
Yeah, you’re right there, if you look at another topic, even Ellis talks about a back-up fastball

Yep, what Mr. Watch said.

If you need a source:

just to add to the confusion, i was thaught a backup slider is a slider that goes down hard

NO.

A backup slider is a hanger that “backs up”. It’s an accidental pitch, and very poorly executed. A slider that starts at the hitter and hits the inside corner is a front door slider. A right handed slider that starts off the plate to a RHH and breaks over the outside corner is a backdoor slider.

LOL. Source?

I guess this is one of those terms that has been tossed around by a lot of people meaning a lot of different things.

Another use of back-up fastball
http://www.seamheads.com/2008/06/09/the-reinvention-of-mike-mussina/

lol? source?? what does that mean?

A back-up slider, is a slider, like Hammer said, you see the dot (How a batter can tell slider, the seams make a dot)…but it doesn’t break, this is the deception of the pitch, the batter anticipates the break of the slider but it doesn’t slide. It is a great pitch if you’ve got a decent slider…but if someone anticipates it…it will fly real far.

Back-up fastball is a term I’m unfamiliar with…would think sinker or other two seam (Some throw a sinker 4 seam) action…anything that backs into same side hitters.

And how many sources do you want us to list there Kev…would you call them? How about Hammer played…no pitched professionally? Is that not authoritative enough?

here they talk about it as a pitch that goes down

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/multimedia/matsuzakas_pitches/

check out gyroball second page

now youll tell me people talking about gyroballs arent good sources but really from what i heard, what you are refering to jdfromfla is what mot people call the gyroball. a pitch that spins like a breaking ball but really does nothing whatsoever

yah but when you start talking about Boston folks…they’re such imbeciles that nothing makes much sense :shock: paaaahk dahh cahhhh at toity toid and toid…wha… :nosleep: :crazy: ???

:lol:

Well that certainly felt good…

I will say this…seach on Centerfield…he did some of the most outstanding Dice-K and gyro-ball research before they signed him…the gyro-ball they showed him throwing in Japan was like a wild kind of screwgie lookin thing, Will Carroll actually had some kid in Indiana who was getting pretty good with it…haven’t heard much about it since Dice has hit these shores honestly.

I’ve seen a whole bunch of back-up sliders…never, ever have seen one drop…but then again I haven’t seen every single pitch thrown…by a real long shot. Maybe I can get my mom to sign a note vouching that I’ve seen Steve Carleton 8) …she wouldn’t remember him but if I told her to, she’d pop on and give us a note :wink: .

I apologize if my post was abrasive. In hindsight, I wish I had worded it differently.

no problem :smiley:

No problem here either…

and… ps. I’m never wrong!

[quote=“Hammer”]NO.

A backup slider is a hanger that “backs up”. It’s an accidental pitch, and very poorly executed. A slider that starts at the hitter and hits the inside corner is a front door slider. A right handed slider that starts off the plate to a RHH and breaks over the outside corner is a backdoor slider.[/quote]

Backdoor slider breaks over the outside corner vs. the opposite-handed batter. It sneaks in unexpectedly…like through the backdoor.

If anyone has ever played hockey, if a guy is sitting “backdoor” in front of the net, it means he’s sneaking in from behind the play, behind everyone’s backs.

Anyway, here’s a video visualization of a backdoor slider.

its when you throw a ball close to someone to get them to backup. its a setup pitch usually for a lider down and away :baseballpitcher: :homeplate: