What I think weight lifting is

OK im sry if a lot of you misunderstood me the first time. Doing bicep curls, tricep pull down and rows are not weight training to me as long as you keep it under 50lbs. or what ever it takes to get strong but not big.
Exercises I do think are weight lifting are Hang Cleans, Olympic lifts Bench Press and things like leg extension, Leg press.
So im srry if we got all mixed up all about this.
Palo20 and I had a long talk and he showed me his workout and 95% of it is Functional training.

You are not miscommunicating anything to us-you are perfectly clear in your thought processes! You do not understand the concept of functional training-please leave, you’re posts are beginning to drive me crazy as you haven’t had a slight clue on what you’re talking about…

FYI, you can include core specific work into a total program… The program I use includes a core specific workout, as well as medicine ball exercises, different sprinting sequences, and 3 weight lifting days during the week… In total, it is a 5 day program, but due to where I live, and where I train, I can not perform the other two workouts at the moment. I pray that a team never has to train under your guidance, as you are a step behind the curve when it comes to understanding the different aspects of functional training.

[quote=“lbarber4”]You are not miscommunicating anything to us-you are perfectly clear in your thought processes! You do not understand the concept of functional training-please leave, you’re posts are beginning to drive me crazy as you haven’t had a slight clue on what you’re talking about…

FYI, you can include core specific work into a total program… The program I use includes a core specific workout, as well as medicine ball exercises, different sprinting sequences, and 3 weight lifting days during the week… In total, it is a 5 day program, but due to where I live, and where I train, I can not perform the other two workouts at the moment. I pray that a team never has to train under your guidance, as you are a step behind the curve when it comes to understanding the different aspects of functional training.[/quote]

Applause…

So why are olympic lifts bad, and you would say weightlifting and then say leg extensions and presses in the same sentence.
You won’t see any extensions or leg presses in my workouts, and from what I’ve seen, limited to none in , lbarber’s, or kc’s.

So why is olympic lifting bad.

You truly make no sense.

You say you need to be explosive. Well quite frankly olympic lifters are the most explosive people on the planet. They can activate around twice as many motor units as the average person. Your so called functional training doesn’t teach the use of more motor units well.

Also if you knew as much as you claim to you would know that olympic lifters compete in classes. Thus you do not often want to gain weight because you must compete against people of greater sizes and usually strengths.

Not that I think gaining size is bad, but I’d actually like a direct answer for once on why olympic lifts, squats, deadlifts would be bad for you…

AND NO DON"T TELL ME YOU HAVE TO FUNCTIONAL TRAIN AND THAT"S IT. It is part of a complete program.

Also what happens if by some miracle of functional training do you become strong enough to move more than 50lbs, what do you do then if you aren’t supposed to lift heavy weight?

Do you guys understand that baseball is not a power sport? This is a email dick sent me back when i emailed him and he is 100% right.

Pitching is not a strength activity but rather a speed of movement activity where the load to move is a 5 oz baseball.

No amount of weight training is going to improve pitching velocity once a pitcher is fit.

I have written countless articles on this on my Blog. I suggest you read some of them.

Go to my website at www.pitching.com and click on Blog.

Dick Mills

[quote=“RIstar”]Do you guys understand that baseball is not a power sport?
[/quote]

oh gosh, I’ll wait till you confirm this: You just said baseball is not a power sport?

It’s not a strength sport, but the whole game of baseball is a bunch of power movements…

The swing
The pitch
The sprint

All incredibly powerful movements.

As For Mr. Mills, keep in mind he is a pitching coach AND a marketer.

He stuff is logical to a degree. If you review what he says in depth though, you will realize what he says is far from the complete truth or whole explanation of something.

Keep in mind what Mills calls weight training is essentially body building because he says it doesn’t increase power, it is slow, and doesn’t help explosiveness. All of which can be done via proper weightlifting.

Also, RIstar, basically what Mills is saying is that once you are fit your so called funcational training won’t do anything either.

This all goes back to his theory that the only way to throw harder is to pitch from a mound. Which is definately debatable, somewhat correct, but to definite a statement to be completely correct.

No because the work I do is more sports specific and im building up my elasticity and weight lifting cant do that.
How hard is it to throw a 5oz ball?

[quote=“RIstar”]No because the work I do is more sports specific and im building up my elasticity and weight lifting cant do that.
How hard is it to throw a 5oz ball?[/quote]

A 5 year old can throw a 5 oz ball.

Very few people can throw a 5 oz ball 90-100mph.

How can you follow the Mills docterine and then change your mind because you actually know better than Mills about training.
Yet at the same time, what you train from is from the guy that created Mills training.

I seriously doubt you know anything about stored energy and it’s obvious you do not know anything about weightlifting. Read a book.

It sounds like your just spewing out the Mills theory that one creates elastic energy to fire the arm like a whip.

I would really like to see this miracle program you speak of.

RIstar, you are driving me insane. Seriously is this the best you can do? “Dick Mills emailed me and said that pitching is not a power sport.”

Dick Mills is the snake oil salesman of baseball. He sells fancy programs that promise to add 10 miles per hour to your fastball. You know how much that program sells for on his website? 150 bucks… You can’t charge people 150 bucks to sell them basic knowledge of strength training. He sells sensationalism. He sells his product by attacking every other author out there.

Secondly, Mills has no expertise in the area of strength at all. None. I am just as qualified as Mr. Mills, but the difference between the two of us is that I can actually site reference materials to back up my claims.

#1 all that stuff that “you don’t believe” is weightlifting…it is. Bicep Curls are a weightlifting exercise whether its 25lbs or 150lbs.

#2 power and speed are related. The explosive force in a pitchers legs generate speed and momentum.

#3 nobody cares about dick mills, he’s not the god of pitching. He’s been known to contradict many things.

#4 you’d be smart to learn from many many difference sources. Test out what is successful and what isn’t instead of taking one mans opinion and ending it there

[quote=“RIstar”]Do you guys understand that baseball is not a power sport? This is a email dick sent me back when i emailed him and he is 100% right.

Pitching is not a strength activity but rather a speed of movement activity where the load to move is a 5 oz baseball.

No amount of weight training is going to improve pitching velocity once a pitcher is fit.

I have written countless articles on this on my Blog. I suggest you read some of them.

Go to my website at www.pitching.com and click on Blog.

Dick Mills[/quote]
Arguably the best pitcher alive, that dude in your avatar has lifted and has pitched well into his 40s with a high 90’s fastball for most of his career.

You were saying?