What have you done today?

There’s a park within walking distance from my home. If I’m up to it, I’ll walk up with a lawnchair under my arm, something to drink in a insulated shoulder bag and a umbrella.
Yesterday afternoon I walked up to that park, and there’s some youngsters dropping their bikes and gathering near the backstop fence of the ball diamond there. Lucky for them the leagues have pretty much ended so the field was all theirs. Lucky for me the big wheeping willow that provided a lot of shade was empty of lawnchairs and visitors.
As I watched the youngsters near the backstop, a smaller youngster walked up and watched from the other side of the backstop fence, fingers poking through the fence. He had a glove on the ground behind him and it was obvious that he wanted in – but he didn’t know anybody.
Some of the kids would glance back over their shoulders and see the youngster and then would kind of whisper to one another then start laughing. The oldest young man in the group caught on to that and I could tell it didn’t sit well with him.
The group broke up, some taking to the field while others took a bench and one took a bat.
The oldest looking youngster walked to the backstop fence and the two had a talk. The little guy behind the backstop fence quickly turned around, bent down and grabed his glove, then headed out to the outfield with four others.
I sat there drinking my iced tea and watched how the oldest youngster on the field made sure the little guy wasn’t in over his head in some instances – but for the most part, things just went along just fine.
Here’s what I’d add to this posting.
This kind of thing is small compared to other things in this world, very small. But it took a bit more of than just playing ball to witness what I saw. It took a little more concern for someone else that just being me-myself-n-I that afternoon. It took the kindness and willingness to accept someone, allow someone, let someone be part of something that would otherwise be on the outside looking in.
What have you done today to accept someone, allow someone, let someone be part of something that would otherwise be on the outside looking in? What?
Any doubts about stepping up the risks of being that way… just look up in the history books one Branch Rickey and the courage it took to change Major League Baseball and this country in general. He brought from behind the backstop fence of ignorance a young ball player by the name of Jack Roosevelt Robinson. In doing so, it took another man – Jack Roosevelt Robinson courage to see his part in the scheme of things, pick up his glove from the ground and take the field.
So, the question still stands…… What have you done today to accept someone, allow someone, let someone be part of something that would otherwise be on the outside looking in? What?

Beautifully said.
Good on the young man for being a person of character.
It certainly is a small thing in the scope of the world and would never be noticed by most. But, it is often the small things, understanding, caring, the small kindnesses (if that is a word) that can help us through a life and world than can be hard. It is not easy being young and unsure. I am sure this small act of acceptance meant the world to the younger boy.
So far today I have done nothing…but out west the day is still young!!
That attitude is something I like about LTP more than some of the other boards that seems to cater to the 1% of players. Everyone is welcome here. A kid struggling to make his local youth league team or Varsity is just as welcome as a guy trying to get drafted.
In my experience there are a lot more good kids than bad. A lot more kids that are kind than cruel. Kids get generally a bad rap in society/press.
Very cool Coach B.

Ok Coach B.
It was a warm 92 degrees today here without much of a breeze. I was driving down a street and saw two young men out pounding the pavement. I am assuming they were out doing their “mission” work. I make no judgement on that either way.
Anyway, I though back to this post today. I pulled into the 7-11 a couple of blocks up and bought a couple of ice cold gatoraids. I drove back, pulled over, said “Here ya go guys. You look like you could use these.” Tossed them the gatoraids, smiled, got back in my car and drove away. As I was pulling away I heard one of the young men say "Thanks…Thank you sir!!"
It is funny. When you do something nice for no reason people are taken aback by it.
Anyway, that one was for you Coach B.

WOW… I’ve never had a thing like that directed my way. Thank you.

My wife does a lot of my posting on the keyboard, as well as reading me things here. I don’t see all that well anymore in my right eye and age is starting to visit me more often.

I was outside watering my lawn (it’s been brutal heat here in Springfield, Massachusetts) when my Mrs. asks me to come and see this. I stand over her shoulder while she reads your posting, and then - dead silence. We both just looked at the monitor and said nothing. Now my Mrs. is a very sentimental lady - anything like puppies, kittens, and warm and fuzzy stuff gets to her. She couldn’t stop talking about your post for the rest of the evening.

I did something like what you did for a work crew two years ago just outside of Northampton, Massachusetts. These guys were working on an entrance ramp leading to I-91. A State Trooper was doing a road detail there also. When I stopped back, pulled over and dropped off a gallon of lemonade a dozen of paper cups, they all were very appreciative along with the eagle eye of the State Trooper who promptly told me that my inspection sticker was out of date by two months. He looked at me with that look that only a State Trooper can give, poured a glass for himself, then turned and walked away. I really developed a taste for lemonade after that, big time.

Very cool.
I have seen that look before from Troopers!!
It is the little things sometimes. It is good to find the time every now and then to do small kindnesses for others.
Its why I like working with kids.