What Has Baseball Taught You?

It’s taught me that confidence alone can be a lonely teammate.
It’s taught me that no matter how hard you train, someone else has trained harder.
It’s taught me that talent goes a long way, knowing how to use it takes you all the way.
It’s taught me that first impressions necessitates a second, third, fourth, and fifth.
It’s taught me that lies require a darn good memory.
It’s taught me that a man’s skin color is only skin deep, in the dark you won’t even notice.
It’s taught me that a simple smile can be a language all its own.
It’s taught me that jobs in this business aren’t jobs at all, they’re a life style.
It’s taught me that titles mean nothing without the money that goes along with it
It’s taught me to make a living in this sport requires durable luggage.
It’s taught me to tip$ the motel front desk clerk who is on duty from 11:00pm - 7:00am
It’s taught me to have two wedding anniversaries - my marriage and my day of hire.
It’s taught me never to loan money below 10 points of the prime.
It’s taught me to get accustomed to walking in chew spit.
It’s taught me to watch hopefuls dream - only to be there when they wake up.
It’s taught me that fans can’t remember my name.
It’s taught me that I’m nothing unless the ownership gives me the OK.
It’s taught me that loyalty is a careful commodity to be used sparingly.
It’s taught me that my baseball uniform was always owned by someone else.
It’s taught me that people will never know how stupid I am, until I open my mouth.
It’s taught me never to cross my legs quickly, when I have my cup on.
It’s taught me never, ever slide sideways on an old dugout bench just to make room.
It’s taught me to pay attention - never start walking out to the other team’s pitcher.
It’s taught me not to fall asleep in the bullpen, only to be ushered out by the security guards.
It’s taught me never to call my wife from a bar.
It’s taught me why baseball uniform pants don’t have front pockets.
It’s taught me that pitchers who are over 6’5" have the ugliest nose hair.
It’s taught me that the Japanese language isn’t something to toy with - thanking a taxi driver by calling him a toothbrush isn’t exactly a compliment.

Ok, guys. Now it’s your turn.

Its taught me humility
It’s taught me that when you love…it isn’t work
It’s taught me to appreciate lessons
It’s taught me that generationally it doesn’t really change, a reflection of life
It’s taught me to really listen
It’s taught me that wisdom isn’t exclusive to only those who you think have it

It’s taught me humility…

It’s taught me hard work
It’s taught me that with hard work you can accomplish things you never thought possible (even if it’s as tiny as your first home run)
It’s taught me that failure can set you up for success
It’s taught me to learn from my mistakes
It’s taught me that red dirt in your contact lenses makes a 3-6-3 even more difficult
It’s taught me that teamwork is the most important attribute in a group of people
It’s taught me that everyone is different
It’s taught me that wet baseball pants are cold as ice
It’s taught me that socks should be washed regularly
It’s taught me that I love it

It’s taught me that Eye black smells bad
It’s taught me how to hit
It’s taught me how to pitch
It’s taught me to be confident, not cocky
It’s taught me the roles on a team
It’s taught me humility
It’s taught me how to strive for a goal
It’s taught me not to share an athletic cup.

(Really bad idea on the last one, don’t ever try it.)

Personally, baseball it has taught me LIFE, and I hope it has more coming to me.

Coach B. forgive me for having a little fun with this…I’ve had a long weekend:

It’s taught me that a lonely teammate can give me alot of confidence.
It’s taught me that no matter how bad you stink, someone else stinks worse.
It’s taught me that lack of talent goes a long way, if his father knows how to use his connections.
It’s taught me that my first impressions are spot-on as long as I’ve met the player a few times before.
It’s taught me that a darn good memory requires alot of lying.
It’s taught me that a man’s skin color is only skin deep, in the dark you won’t even notice but you’ll still feel the same way about him.
It’s taught me that a simple stare can be a language all its own.
It’s taught me that titles mean nothing without the money that goes along with it and that the money is long gone before the memory of winning the title.
It’s taught me to make a living in this sport requires stretching the truth and your finances.
It’s taught me to tip$ the motel front desk clerk who is on duty from 11:00pm - 7:00am and to check freecreditreport.com once a month.
It’s taught me never to loan money period! Just give it away.
It’s taught me to get accustomed to chewing and spitting and telling your wife you aren’t chewing and spitting anymore.
It’s taught me that fans can’t remember my name, Thank God!
It’s taught me that I’m nothing unless the ownership gives me the OK, what they don’t know won’t hurt them.
It’s taught me that loyalty is a rare commodity.
It’s taught me that my baseball uniform was always owned by someone else. And sometimes it was me.
It’s taught me that people will never know how stupid they are, until they shut their mouth.
It’s taught me never to cross my legs quickly, when I have my cup on especially if it’s full of hot coffee.
It’s taught me never, ever slide sideways on an old dugout bench just to make room. What wood ever possess you to do that?
It’s taught me to pay attention - never start walking out to the other team’s pitcher unless it’s to thank him for giving up the walk off hit.
It’s taught me not to fall asleep in the bullpen, only to be ushered out by the security guards. - NOW THATS FUNNY!
It’s taught me never to call my wife from a bar to ask if she fed the dog.
It’s taught me why baseball uniform pants don’t have front pockets. And why players pull the back pockets inside out when they go up to bat.
It’s taught me that pitchers who are over 6’8" have the ugliest nose hair. C’mon now a days tall is tall.
It’s taught me that the Japanese language isn’t something to toy with - thanking a taxi driver by calling him a toothbrush isn’t exactly a compliment.
Thats my favorite = I leave it just like it is…

Lets see
How to win
How to lose
How to work hard
How to work with others
How to have fun.

I think it’s great for anyone to participate in sports not just baseball because you can learn so much from them and you can acquire traits that you need in order to be successful in life. Personally I would say baseball is the game of life because I can compare any baseball situations to a real life situation.