What happened last night?

Did you see it?
What did you see? A ho hum 13-1 game? Did you see Bo Sox offense just grinding up the Rocks?
Know what I saw? I saw Josh Beckett, win the entire series in the first five batters. Fast balls…FASTBALLS, 96/97 mph smokin on in there. He said (In my minds eye) “Rockies, you’re the hottest team in baseball, got it rolling right now but I AM Josh Beckett and you ain’t hittin me!!!” He brought what he had and the Rockies just couldn’t withstand it mentally.
Man talk about setting up a pitch… :shock: It left the entire Rockies team totally helpless in the face of his hook…couldn’t do a thing. I saw this man shatter the Cubs, just by coming hi and tight on Sammy Sosa…just once. Beat down the Yankees like they were the D-Rays, he broke their spirit. Just like he did the Rockies last night…five batters to wipe away the Rockies run…hes a BBBBBAAAAAAADDDDDD Man. It is rare earth to dominate like that. He ain’t anyones sweetheart and he doesn’t care what we all think about him. He is a winner, the heart of a lion, soul of a warrior…I’m sure, in another life folks wet themselves just because he came around. The Rocket has done this in my memory, Randy Johnson in his prime…Smoltz in his…but it’s rare…Boy was it enjoyable to me.

beckett is pretty good but i think what really happenned is that rockies didnt see game speed pitches for 8 days let alone 96+mph fastballs. they knew it beckett knew it so he just reached back and smoked them first inning. after that he had to use more curves and changeups but that 8 days rest as a lot to do with that first dominating inning.

I thought it was great seeing nothing but fastballs early on. Hope the young kids throwing breaking balls one after another learned something.

“but that 8 days rest as a lot to do with that first dominating inning”

I’m sure that Clint Hurdle is going for this angle too 8)
Just happens to be Josh Beckett, in a big game, making a statement, overwhelming the opposition mentally, an opposition that was considered either the best (Prior/Woods…remember…A Rod and Jeter and Mariano) or hottest Colorado? So what if they did have the time off, Beckett had that “rip your head off and poop down your windpipe mentallity” and was wiley enough to do just what he did…taking advantage to the enth degree not only getting the win but doing a Mike Tyson knock yo AZZ out 1st round k.o… Obviously the Rockies didn’t anticipate the aggresiveness, were thrown onto their heels… and well, to survive and even come back and win they’ll have to truely be a team of destiny…but I don’t know…this sort of mental blow, is something that is very difficult to overcome…I mean the Marlins did it, but they had Beckett, Burnett, Hernandez et al…I don’t see that sort of starting talent within the Rockies pitching staff, competency yes, but the ability to take over?..nope.

When things like this happen, the cause is rarely just one thing. Beckett surely was part of the cause. The lay-off for the Rockies most likely figured into things as well. Then there’s the win streak of the Rockies that likely has run it’s course and is due to end. Home field advantage for the Sox? I’m sure there’s other things.

The Rockies starter for tonight brings the heat. If he’s on, look for the Sox to struggle at the plate. Schilling, while having a geat post-season record thoughout his career, is hittable. Should be a better game. I hope.

I’ve heard this from the announcers when Beckett pitches, and I’ve seen people here say the same thing. It is establish your fastball early on and then the change-up and your other pitches will be even better. And he definitly established a fastball early on yesterday throwing his first 14 pitches as fastballs.

Yea, Beckett is virtually unhittable right now, hes locating well with movement at 95-98, and out of all the games I’ve watched him pitch (every single one this postseason), I’ve seen proabably half a dozen good swings on his curve. Hes keeping guys off balance like Maddux did in his prime, and his stuff is just so good that when hes on the games over before its started. And then theres something to be said about that mentality of his, that Cocky Texan additude that you love to watch. In game 5, the Indians were the so intimidated by him, it brought to mind Clemens in the subway series.

Beckett is finally hitting his potential, and I don’t think 20 wins, 240 K’s, and a sub 2.8 ERA is out of the question next year at all.

[quote=“FSTBLLTHRWER”]Yea, Beckett is virtually unhittable right now, hes locating well with movement at 95-98, and out of all the games I’ve watched him pitch (every single one this postseason), I’ve seen proabably half a dozen good swings on his curve. Hes keeping guys off balance like Maddux did in his prime, and his stuff is just so good that when hes on the games over before its started. And then theres something to be said about that mentality of his, that Cocky Texan additude that you love to watch. In game 5, the Indians were the so intimidated by him, it brought to mind Clemens in the subway series.

Beckett is finally hitting his potential, and I don’t think 20 wins, 240 K’s, and a sub 2.8 ERA is out of the question next year at all.[/quote]

beckett always goes to an other level in playoffs. that more than lickely wont make a lot of difference in regular season next year.

[quote=“4pie”][quote=“FSTBLLTHRWER”]Yea, Beckett is virtually unhittable right now, hes locating well with movement at 95-98, and out of all the games I’ve watched him pitch (every single one this postseason), I’ve seen proabably half a dozen good swings on his curve. Hes keeping guys off balance like Maddux did in his prime, and his stuff is just so good that when hes on the games over before its started. And then theres something to be said about that mentality of his, that Cocky Texan additude that you love to watch. In game 5, the Indians were the so intimidated by him, it brought to mind Clemens in the subway series.

Beckett is finally hitting his potential, and I don’t think 20 wins, 240 K’s, and a sub 2.8 ERA is out of the question next year at all.[/quote]

beckett always goes to an other level in playoffs. that more than lickely wont make a lot of difference in regular season next year.[/quote]

Well, he was great all year this year, and I think he can still improve on his numbers from this year. But yea, he does take it up like 5 notches in october

Well, I agree it is a joy watching Beckett pitch … it should be a requirement for any young aspiring pitcher to watch him in the series . Having said that … this will sound crazy … I didn’t think he was on last night . He didn’t have the consistently awesome hook that I saw in the previous starts , and while he had good velocity his location was not nearly what it has been recently . To be honest, the guy behind the plate had such a huge strike zone he helped make Becketts job that much easier . Ok, now pile on … 7 innings, 1 walk and 9 K’s and he wasn’t on ?? Just my take …

Honestly Beckett didn’t need the hook last night… Power, movement, and location was there… didn’t even need to pull out the best curve ball in the game.

My point my friends, is that what he did there in the first five batters, was a pre-meditated act of dominance that he is starting to show a definate pattern with in the post season. He’s gonna poke you in the eye, he’s gonna set your hair on fire, he’s gonna crawl into your noggin and he’s going to beat you. I love it! Mr Solivan needs to spend a month working on how his brain works.
I know I personally have seen him look…sharper?..(If that is possible) in that sort of nasty weather I don’t guess anyone does anything but hunker down but my goodness, all mitigating circumstances and excuses notwithstanding, he knew what he was going to do, and imparted his will on the hottest team in a while…just a real piece of how to apply the art in my book. The stupid thing is, as a Cub fan I hope he rots in a dark spot for what he did to my team…but I just have to tip my cap on that can o whoop … :wink:

I’m a Yanks fan, think about how I feel about him lol… Great pitcher, terrible attitude though.

what’s wrong with his attitude?