What does the foot drag do?

I don’t drag my foot, but I was wondering what it does; control, velocity, posture, does it affect anything? I would like to incorporate it into my delevery.I know the NPA teaches the foot drag.

Any ideas or answers? Thanks.

its a result of good hip/shoulder seperation

Would that mean it improves on velocity?

its not something that one does on purpose…

when u have good hip/shoulder seperation it forces your toe to drag

it doesnt improve anything its just a result of good hip/shoulder seperation

Oh, okay now I understand.

It delays forward tunk flexion by keeping the hip flexors in the post leg stretched.

After the front foot lands, the hip flexors unstretch and contract to allow the back hip to explode forward.

Interesting discussion particularly about what’s a cause and what’s an effect. I’ve always felt that keeping the head and shoulders stacked upright into trunk flexion right before release keeps the back foot down. But I’ve also heard that the back foot steers the torso (I’m still trying to understand that one).

Things that cause the back foot to lift early include posture issues (leaning to side or head/shoulders out front too soon), lack of momentum (planting on stiff front leg), and timing issues (opening up early).

bit of a bump due to a recent topic by jakejeckel

BUT

it could also be a result of the hip/shoulder serperation happening at the correct time

if u get up and go thru your delivery, rotating ur hips too early… your back foot just lifts up where as if you do it at the proper time the foot drags

[quote]It delays forward tunk flexion by keeping the hip flexors in the post leg stretched.

After the front foot lands, the hip flexors unstretch and contract to allow the back hip to explode forward. [/quote] can you dumb it down a bit? do you mean that if your a righty and when you land the left side hip flexors should be flexed to pull the right side of hip and body to the plate?

No. The hip flexors in your post leg.

Look at David Price again. Look at his left knee. When his front foot lands his hip flexors in his left leg are stretched. Look at his left knee come forward. This is the hip flexors ustretching and contracting.