What does scap loading do

what does scapular loading do
i read somewhere that it was bad
when i do it it gives me a little velocity boost, more break and better control
i see MLB pitchers doing it
is it good or bad

I believe that scap loading is natural and doesn’t need to be forced.

Scap loading is scapular retraction. Pulling the shoulder blades in toward the spine.

It’s good because the scapula (shoulder blade) is the only kinetic link from the torso to the arm. It can also protect the front of the shoulder against forces that push the arm behind you during shoulder rotation and external rotation.

It’s bad if you think you are scap loading by simply get the elbow behind your shoulder.

Scapular retraction is also part of proper form when doing pushups and bench press types of exercises to in order to protect the shoulder.

i probaly had been doing it before
but i just started trying to do it
i try to pull my shoulder blades together when my foot plants

I found that when I pinch(or load) my scaps my arm stays back longer and I get more torque in my delivery. Its kind of one of those things that you might do naturally or like me you didn’t do it. Find what works for you.

explains me exactly (first part)
i pinch them together i dont do it naturally
i got a couple of MPH on my pitches too
my curve is ridiculous
slider and split too
but i keep throwing my changeup straight

[quote=“xv84”]Scap loading is scapular retraction. Pulling the shoulder blades in toward the spine.

It’s good because the scapula (shoulder blade) is the only kinetic link from the torso to the arm. It can also protect the front of the shoulder against forces that push the arm behind you during shoulder rotation and external rotation.

It’s bad if you think you are scap loading by simply get the elbow behind your shoulder.

Scapular retraction is also part of proper form when doing pushups and bench press types of exercises to in order to protect the shoulder.[/quote]

What’s wrong with getting your elbow behind your shoulder? Does it cause more strain? I’ve noticed Kazmir does that.

What if you are getting them behind your shoulders in order to scapular load?

[quote]What’s wrong with getting your elbow behind your shoulder? Does it cause more strain? I’ve noticed Kazmir does that.

What if you are getting them behind your shoulders in order to scapular load?[/quote]

i think he ment pushing your elbow back instead of pinching your shoulders
the elbow is gonna get back if you scap load

I believe what Kaz is doing is scap loading. Correct me if I’m wrong.

yup

lol
i wonder if you would get more velocity if you clinch your butt muscles like your shoulders

is this necessary in the pitching motion

yup

lol
i wonder if you would get more velocity if you clinch your butt muscles like your shoulders

is this necessary in the pitching motion

[quote=“Orangepeel”]
What’s wrong with getting your elbow behind your shoulder? Does it cause more strain? I’ve noticed Kazmir does that.

What if you are getting them behind your shoulders in order to scapular load?[/quote]

If you get your elbow behind your shoulder by pinching the scap that is fine. But if you are doing it using only your rotator cuff muscles, that would be hyper-abduction.

It is very hard to tell how much of each action (scap retraction, hyper-abduction) that each pitcher does without an overhead view. When you look at most MLB’ers, yes they have their elbows behind their shoulders, but you have to ask yourself how is this being done and are some “over-doing” the scap load by simply moving the arm back opposed to actually pinching the scap?

This is hyperabduction:

[quote=“xv84”]
This is hyperabduction:

[/quote]

Yes, I’m a strong advocate of scap loading, but watching Dotel makes me cringe due to the extreme degree of abduction it has.

I suggest you explore SETPRO philosophies in order to understand the importance of scap loading. Or… how about a graphic demonstration?

Steve Avery. Left clip in 1997 was 84mph while the right clip in 1991 was 92mph

[quote]I suggest you explore SETPRO philosophies in order to understand the importance of scap loading. Or… how about a graphic demonstration?

Steve Avery. Left clip in 1997 was 84mph while the right clip in 1991 was 92mph[/quote]

couldnt he have gotten older
stiffer muscles
or injury