What Do You Think About When Posting?

Hi, I’m just interested in what you guys think about when you’re making a post. I’m talking about content, tone, etc. For me, I always try to remind myself that I’m not an expert. I always am willing to bring up the good 'ole disclaimer “again I am not an expert so if any credible people can correct me/justify feel free.” For example, depending on which section I’m commenting on, I’ll think:

Who knows more about profesional baseball organizations, me or Steven Ellis?
Steven Ellis.
Who knows more about the NPA, me or Roger?
Roger. :baseballpitcher:
Who knows more about fitness, me or kc86?
Kc86. :boxing:
Who knows more about coaching, me or Coach Baker?
Coach Baker.
Who knows more about pitching in general, me or jdfromfla?
Me. :guitar: Yaaaaa…

(That last one was a joke.) :smiley:

So I’m just interested in what all you guys, who have different writing styles, think about when posting.

I think about arguing my point and if a big wig corrects me then I will accept it, but an average joe telling me I’m wrong with no explanation will upset me.

You’re wrong.

:wink:

Anyways, I try to think about grammar and making sense.

I think try to help the pitcher or dad or who ever needs help as much as I know and then point them in the right direction to find the road of sucsess.

I try to think about what evidence there is out there for any stance taken because I’ve seen so many instances where a point is made as if it’s an absolute but video evidence shows otherwise.

You’re wrong.[/quote]

I saw that one coming.
:rolllaugh: :rolllaugh: :rolllaugh:

I think this makes DM one of our most valuable posters. Keeps us all on our toes.

I think this makes DM one of our most valuable posters. Keeps us all on our toes.[/quote]

He just said it better than the rest of us. :stuck_out_tongue:

I try to be as clear and accurate as I can with my explanations because I know words can easily be misinterpretted.

1. be polite, even if you’re talking with a rookie who knows just enough to be dangerous;

2. unless they’re doing something that could hurt them or someone else, give them the benefit of the doubt.

3. if they can’t give you a video exaple of what they are talking about, i’m slow to even try it.

4. offer a suggestion and know that there is more than 1 way to safely throw a baseball effectively.

koufax, walter johnson and maddux pitch very differently but all are hall of famers.

1. i don’t know near as uch as i think i do and i have a ph.d. in educational research and read about 5000 pages per year on baseball and pitching. i always pick up somethig new, even from people i do not like.

"Who knows more about pitching in general, me or jdfromfla? "

Looks like 13 needs a little high heat to back him off the plate… :wink:

Ya know what though? It is kinda what I do think. I’ve told Chris O’Leary and Ristar that just when you “think” you know a little bit about this game/art, you’ll meet someone who will let you know just how much you really don’t know. I do try to keep this in mind.
I also remember that we are talking about a game that we all love, so I try to respect the position while addressing the elephant in the room.

Thank you for the kind words. Your kindness is taken with a ton of
gratitude. I like to pass on an experience that I had that has some merit
to your question.

When I was in the service I was stationed in Florida for a while and I had the opportunity to visit a couple of spring training camps-games. Having played ball for 8th Army for a short stint, I thought I was pretty hot stuff – not to mention a self proclaimed expert of the game. So, while watching a game of hopefuls, I started giving point-by-point lessons in strategy, playmaking, and just about anything else to impress my buddies. As I was gong through my “act” I notice a few of the spectators on either side of me glancing behind me and shake their heads. Finally after five innings of this, I couldn’t resist turning around and facing what these people were looking at. It turned out to be the spit-n image of Minnie Minoso. The fellow sitting next to him leaned forward and said to me— and I quote, “you can learn more about this game from others, than you can from yourself”. To say the least, that lesson has stuck with me. And that in part, that quote alludes to the beauty of this sport – pitching and otherwise. Playing ball is subject to the human condition, and as such injects a ton of variables. Hence, if you’re really on the ball, your sense of observation and reasoning can jump you light years ahead of your contemporaries. That same sense of experience, observation, reasoning, camaraderie is evident in every post that’s made by those that you mentioned. It’s also refreshing to see dads, young players, high school and college players contribute here. And that’s just some of the things that makes BASEBALL PEOPLE. And we have a lot in common with one another all over the world where this game is played.

Coach B.

House does that to me every time I go through the NPA certification. :bowdown:

Woops, I kinda messed up posting, but I can’t think of anything to put…

:lol:

Don’t worry about that. The important thing is to post about what you do know, and if you’re not sure about something just leave it alone for the time being. A little later on you’ll suddenly find something that hadn’t occurred to you, and then you can speak your piece.
And you—and I—and a lot of people—are never too old to stop learning, absorbing information and figuring out what will work and what won’t.

Dang, no Hammer reference to my brilliance?!

ha, I think mostly about trying to help pitchers become stronger mentally. Without a video, it’s difficult to get into the physical aspect of pitching. The mental aspect of pitching is the most underrated and maybe the most important piece to the puzzle.

Wow, this thread is old. :lol:

i post what i think is right

Old, yes—but still pertinent. You never know what you’ll come up with when you go back into the archives—when something that you hadn’t thought about before will suddenly come to you.
I said something once about posting what one does know. Well, there’s something else. What I think about when posting is what I know that will help an inquiring pitcher, and more often than not it has to do with the repertoire, or with getting the batters out, or pitching out of a tight spot. I draw on my own experience in these matters, and sometimes even I am surprised by what I come up with. For instance: I was a natural sidearmer who used the crossfire a lot—in fact, my pitching coach told me one day, when he was helping me with my circle change, “I know you’re going to crossfire it. You use that move with everything you throw.” Since I first mentioned this, I’ve heard from quite a few pitchers who have learned to use it and who get amazing results with it.
Or the time when my pitching coach—his name was Ed Lopat and he was a member of the Yankees’ fabled Big Three rotation—asked me how I was with holding runners on base. I admitted to having a problem there; first, because I was righthanded, and second, because I didn’t have much occasion to work from the stretch—not as a starter anyway. So he spent a whole morning with me on just that—holding runners on, pickoff moves and some other aspects of fielding my position—and then, at a later date, he got some guys to be infielders, another one to hit ground balls and such, and we spent an afternoon really working on PFP—pitchers’ fielding practice. So, if someone asks about this, I will tell them what we worked on and the importance of it—after all, when a pitcher steps off the rubber, s/he becomes a fifth infielder and has to be able to do all the things infielders do.
Yes, that’s what I think about when I’m posting—what I can say that will help a pitcher achieve his/her objective. And that’s not old at all—it’s very timely indeed.