What do you do when your in a slump?

We have a kid on our team that is by far our best pitcher but for some reason has hit a slump the last 3 outings with his control.

What do you do when you have a kid slumping, what do you have him practice on?

Make sure he gets lots of quality practice so he feels prepared. Also, try putting him in situations where he is likely to succeed even if they’re somewhat contrived. Feeling prepared and having success drive confidence which is what’s lacking during a slump.

look for little things hes doing wrong in his mechs

This is where I find the cattle prod as the most effective motivator known to mankind on earth today. Also if you kidnap his grandmother and shoot video of her hanging over the shark tank at Sea World…for some reason, I’ve found this really motivates pitchers this age to perform. :shock:
Personally I’d just try to take off the pressure…many times letting another kid take his turn can get him fired up…or it can get him down…really , case by case you have to know the kid. I would try to be calm about anything you do…almost matter of fact, the more big deal the more into his head. Keep a kid in this age range having fun…but I think you’ve heard me say that before :wink:

For me, the more I worked at a problem, the worse it became. I tried too hard to fix what I was doing and I just messed up even more. So now I just do nothing, absolutely nothing. I try and make the problem work itself out of my mind since that’s usually the cause of my problems. Then I attempt to pitch again (or do whatever it is I did wrong) like nothing ever happened and that usually fixes my problem. I let my problem work its way out of my mind and then I take a practice session with no pressure to perform or do well at all. I find when I mess up its never anything big but a small problem I just can’t catch myself so I take a brake from it to basically try and forget that I have a problem and forget how the problem started and I try to go back to pitch like I did before the problem hit me. That’s just the way I do, and it works for me but I wouldn’t really experiment this on anyone else or you might make the problem worse.

Work on what he is doing wrong. Make sure he is keeping his elbow up and not dropping it because that can cause you to lose control of your pitches. Twisting can also cause you to lose control. Make sure he is twisting to far around.

Jim Turner was one of the great pitching coaches in the game—he knew when to teach and when not to. One of the times he did teach would be when a pitcher had a lousy outing, maybe even with a problem such as you describe. Turner would wait a couple of days, and then he would take the pitcher into the bullpen, sit him down and have him replay the game pitch by pitch. In the course of events the two of them would discover what the problem was and figure out how to fix it.
So you might have the kid get together with his pitching coach and go over the game and see what the problem is. 8)