What do you do to throw the ball out in front?

While throwing bullpens the past couple weeks my pitching coach keeps saying “throw ball out here, get out in front”. I know what he means, but I can’t seem to do it. I release the ball high and when it comes in line with my head. How do i fix this…?

Excellent question.

Your coach is noticing a problem in that your release point is not out front where he thinks it should be. Unfortunately, he’s telling you to fix the symptom - not the cause.

Where the release point occurs is a result of everything that leads up to it. Common problems that pull the release point back and raise it up are postural shifts and timing problem whereby your shoulders rotate early. Early shoulder rotation can be caused by postural issues as well as glove issues (dropping, pulling, flying open).

Fix what needs fixing earlier in your delivery and your release point should take care of itself.

I understand, that makes a lot of sense.

Thank you Roger that’s exactly the problem I have, staying closed and timing of hip/shoulder rotation.

[quote=“Roger”]Excellent question.

Your coach is noticing a problem in that your release point is not out front where he thinks it should be. Unfortunately, he’s telling you to fix the symptom - not the cause.

Where the release point occurs is a result of everything that leads up to it.

Fix what needs fixing earlier in your delivery and your release point should take care of itself.[/quote]
:applause: Atta boy, Roger.