What do we work on first?

Let me know what you think and what to work on thanks. In this video he is 2 months shy of 10yrs old.

That video is private, so we can’t see what’s going on. So let me speculate here. The kid is almost ten years old, so you have a good idea of what he’s doing—his strong points and his weaknesses. I would suggest addressing the issues that need the most work at this time—maybe he’s having a probme with balance or glove-side control, or perhaps he hasn’t yet found his natural arm slot, or his follow-through is a little weak—whatever his biggest difficulty is at this time, that’s what should be worked on first. I can’t emphasize too strongly the necessity for good sound mechanics, at any age. 8)

I think I fixed the link.

I am learning on the fly. Just a dad trying to figure out how to help his kid continue to grow.

How is he pitching in game settings? Is he throwing strikes? I think that is just as important as mechanics and natural delivery. If he is a little wild, maybe start with getting the whole motion in a smoother move. Hes very jerky and stiff as if hes trying to hit every mechanical point some coach taught him. Just let him throw. You can often tell mechanical difference by having him just throw the ball. No windup or anything. Tell him to base his pitching off of his natural throw like hes throwing to first base. Then add the wind up. One nice fluid motion all the way through.

He has been a very affective pitcher. He throws hard and typically has good command. Very few walks and he doesn’t get to rattled when things go south. His best game this season, he went 4 innings for 10Ks, 2 walks and 1 hit. The other 2 outs included a line drive back to him and a dink fly ball he caught.

His glove sides not very firm, but he looks very sound for only 10 years old, just get him working fastball/change-up until he’s around 13 and he should be good. It looks like he’s using his legs well, his back side comes around for a good finish. Keep it up!

If hes effective then it must be what works for him. Stick with it, make little adjustments and encourage him the way he is throwing.

i love most of this, i think only thing i would work on with him is trying to finish more his pitches, meaning to finish further in front, to bend his back more.

check the finish on curt schilling in this video

and check the finish on your kid’s pitches in your video. schilling reaches further and finish further in front.

other than that, i would work on that leg kick but he’s got very sound mechanics in my opinion.

[quote=“4pie”]i love most of this, i think only thing i would work on with him is trying to finish more his pitches, meaning to finish further in front, to bend his back more.

check the finish on curt schilling in this video

and check the finish on your kid’s pitches in your video. schilling reaches further and finish further in front.

other than that, i would work on that leg kick but he’s got very sound mechanics in my opinion.[/quote]

I know Schilling is just tossing in this video, certainly not 100% effort… but it doesnt appear he is “leading with his front hip”. It looks like he is “drifting” down the mound.

Am I correct?

this is a good video full of schilling clips but go to 4:02 for a side view game time pitch.

see how he delivers the pitch much further than your son? thats what i was talking about.

I agree with the glove side mechanics issues needs work, glove should stay up around the torso pulling the ball through and toward the plate. At :28 seconds you will notice that he is still standing straight up, this can be worked on by throwing and reaching his right wrist down and ending just above the left knee, this should continue his good arm path but start to allow his body to throw the ball more.

Thanks for the feed back. We will begin working on glove mechanics.