What do I need to work on guys?

Keep in mind that I’ve only been pitching for about ten months. One thing that I know for sure needs work is my tendency to come forward a little too soon and I did it on this particular pitch.

Thanks for the input, it always helps. Every time.

Yeah I would agree with you that the biggest improvement you could make would be keep your torso back until your landing foot hits the ground- then it can come forward. Also the path of your throwing arm to the high cock position doesnt look like it is as fluid as it could be. I think it being fluid is very important in creating the type of elastic force that produces high velocity. Still looks good for 10 months though. You know where your velocity is at?

Unfortunately I do not know how fast I’m throwing.

I’m a major Straight Grizzly addict BTW.

Thanx for taking the time to look and offer advice.

I don’t disagree that your upper body is getting too far forward but I’d suggest focusing on your lower half to begin to solve this.

First work to eliminate the body movement toward 2nd base as you start your leg lift. The initial move away from the target makes it difficult to generate momentum with your lower half- and also slows you down to the plate, which helps runners steal. During the change of body direction from 2nd to home it is easy for the upper body to take over and get out of position.

A way to solve this is to set up with your feet closer together- no more than arm-pit width apart. Ideally you would like to start moving toward the target before your stride leg reaches the top of leg lift. Try to do this without sacrificing the height of your leg lift. The NPA “Hershiser” drill is good for this.

Once you begin to lead with your hip and your lower half gets going faster sooner you may find it easier to keep your torso “back”. However you should still work toward the goal of releasing the ball with your chest upright and out over your front knee.

CSamuel,

I agree with JP’s comments. Eliminate the initial movement towards 2B and get your center of gravity going towards home plate sooner. To do this, start with your feet closer together and then focus on pushing the hips towards home plate (sideways, of course) sooner - before peak of knee lift. I would also start in a bit more of an athletic position (think “batting stance”) by putting a slight bend in the knees and waist. This will actually make it easier to get the hips going sooner.

I think GrizzlyStraight is seeing the same thing but, remember, there’s always two ways to look at things. You can either slow down your upper half to keep it back longer or you can speed up your lower half to get it out front sooner/faster. Getting the lower half going should increase energy in the system.

I will make the appropriate changes right away and post a new video. It’ll probably take a month or so until I’m happy with how well I’ve worked on things.

Thanks for looking at my vid and helping me out guys

Roger you talk about speeding up the lower half versus keeping the torso back longer- this is an idea I am still working on. There has been a ton of talk on this site about moving faster. About moving faster down the mound and sooner with your hips and lower body. When you try to move faster with your lower body though it entirely changes your pace and timing; often decreasing velocity and control. I know that it should be possible to speed up your upper body the same amount as your lower. But at the same time, through my experience I have come to believe that a pitchers pace is inborn. That their speed of delivering a baseball is naturally determined and is how their body is best suited to throw the ball. They have learned what this pace is through years of trial and error.

I think if a change of a pitchers pace is going to be made it will have to occur over a long period of time because of how much it will change the very precise timing needed between the upper and lower halves. Any additional velocity gained by moving the lower half faster can easily be lost in a bad transfer to the upper half.

idk. Just my rambling, unorganized thoughts spewing out

I agree a bad “transfer” will have bad results.

I don’t believe a pitcher’s pace is “inborn”. Rather, I believe it is learned. And then ingrained through lots of repetitions. Surely it will take lots more repetitions to overcome a habit. And only when you’ve done that will you feel comfortable with a faster pace and maximize your performance. So it’s not an overnight change. Of course, this is true of any mechanical change that has you doing something different that what you’re used to doing.

Now, I will also admit that some pitchers need to make such a change in smaller increments than others. However, I have seen pitcher’s mechanics and timing get better solely by increasing their pace. Shortstops who have to make bang-bang plays typically have good throwing mechanics because they don’t have time to think about it nor do they have time for things to go wrong. Pitchers, on the other hand, have lots of time on their hands because they can go as slow as they want. And many do go too slow.

All in my opinion.

I think it is interesting that a guy like Chien Ming Wang could when he was good throw a sinker 95 with a slow motion. On the other hand you have Lincecum produce the same result with a fast motion. I know they are much different sizes but what if Wang could move as fast as Lincecum. Would he throw 100?

I think if you timed them from leg lift to foot plant you would find that they are very close to the same speed.

I went to youtube and they was only a .04 difference with my stopwatch.

Wang was about .94, Lincecom was .90 in the videos that I watched.

theres a limit on what the human body can achieve in terms of MPH. The hardest throwers in the world can top out at about 103 mph. To say could wang throw 100 if he sped up his motion shows one’s ignorance. As a baseball audience, we cannot assume the faster the overall motion the harder one throws. Besides, if wang could throw 100 there are many other variables outside of velocity. Variables such as the health of the arm, the sink/movement of the ball, teams needs, your role on the club ect. Faster isn’t always better.

That is why we have the effective “BP fastball”. This pitch is usually 3 to 6 mph slower than the normal fastball to induce a pop out a ground. Say the pitcher’s du himself a 2-0 count on the hitter and he’s throw 93 pitchers. The BP fastball can create a pop out/ground out in place of taking 3 or more pitchers to strike the batter out.

Grizzly,

We have to be careful when comparing to pro players because they have been at it a long time which means many more hours of practice and generally more strength than their younger counterparts.

But you are correct that, no matter what we teach, there are pitchers who don’t do those things. You can always find a pro-level pitcher who does this or doesn’t do that. This points out that there are no absolutes. But if we let those exceptions keep us from teaching things, then there would be nothing left to teach. Somewhere we have to draw a line and say, “this particular teach may not be done by all pitchers but enough of them do it to make it a reasonable teach” especially if we think the teach will not only lead to increased performance and health but will do so in the most expedient manner. So, we teach them. And the more we teach them, the more feedback we get as to whether they work or not. The more experienced we get, the better refined our teaches become. We just have to be open to new ideas and perceptive enough to recognize when things don’t work so we can back off of them. This is the learning process.

In regard to the original issue of speeding up the lower half versus slowing down the upper half, I would generally try speeding up the lower half first because it’s been my experience that most young pitchers can benefit from a faster tempo. But I’d remain open to the possibility that the faster tempo just might not work for a given pitcher in which case slowing down the upper half might then be a good option.

Getting back to the upper/lower half timing issue:

One tactic I’ve implemented involves me not aiming, thinking or focusing on hitting the target until I feel my stride leg touch dirt. It seems to be helping with the issue in the above video. However, focus is key and it’s hard for me to clear my head and wait to focus on hitting the target until the appropriate time.

Roger, is this a good method to try and work on my timing issue?

Well, if you’re not aiming, thinking or focusing until you feel your front foot plant, then you are thinking about it. :wink: If this works for you, then stick with it.

But this seems to me to be a separate issue from the timing issue for which your focus should be on getting your center of gravity moving forward sooner as I described previously.

I took a big step forward with my last bullpen. Everything just felt like I was executing more correctly. I wasn’t really aware that I needed work in this area but that’s why I posted the video.

Like I said, I’ll post a new one next month. Hopefully I will have shown improvement and I’ll be able to move on to the next issue.

Thanks again for all the help Roger.

:allgood: