What Are the Best Books On Pitching?

I was just wondering what are some of the best books on pitching? I know there are many types of books (I.E. grips, mentality, mechanics, etc.), but any type of book will be fine.

I do have Louisville Slugger’s The Complete Guide to Pitching (or something like that) but it doesn’t quite satisfy my needs.

Plus, I know there’s this guy Ellis or something that I heard has made a book or two. :smiley:

Tom Seaver’s Art of Pitching is good.

Just for the sake of putting it here Ted William’s Science of Hitting is pretty cool.

Pitch Like A Pro by Leo Mazzone is realy good it has pics of how Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux John Smoltz and Denny Neagle throw different ptiches their workout routine tips on feilding you position mechanics and control tips also

I recommend the Ted book for the strategy it can teach a pitcher just understanding where you can statistically have better chances for success. Knowing your enemy so to speak…Nolan Ryan and Tom House collaberated on a couple of good ones. My opinion is that you’ll get more meaningful stuff on things like arm maintenance than you do with grip concepts. I always recommend Stevens book because…well you see, he’s holding my mom hostage and if I don’t plug it like twice a week it’s tazer city for mumzie :shock: Please Steven, let her come home for Christmas this year…her grandchildren are missing her something fierce.

Can someone give me a review to the Complete Pitcher’s Guide to Advanced Pitching Philosophies? Also, it would be appreciated if people would say a little about the books they recommend.

The Art and Science of Pitching will give you the latest mechanics model from Tom House and the NPA. That’s some good stuff, IMHO.

The Tom house book is good

Well I went to Barnes & Noble today and I didn’t find any of the books you suggested. However, I did get two books. I got:

Saving The Pitcher by Will Carroll with help by Dr. Tom House. Basically, this book is all about how to stay injury-free. Also, it talks about the history of injuries (I.E. mentioning Prior and Wood) and how they could have occured. It also isolates each body part and talks about how it helps you pitch and how to maintain it. It has gotten good reviews by Major Leaguers so I think it will be good.

Fit to Pitch by Dr. Tom House. This book is primarily about the different workouts Tom House recommends to develop good pitching fitness. There are plenty of workouts, from rotator cuff to plyo to iso- and everything in between. This seems like a good reference because it contains countless workouts.

However, I am a bit concerned by Tom House’s history. He was pretty much the father of Mark Prior’s mechanics, and you all know how Prior is today. I’m sorta worried about the credibility of him because it seems like he messed Prior up so much with the Scap loading and other stuff.

Has anyone read these books? Tell me what you think. Also, feel free to talk about Tom House. I’m listening.

House made the mistake of defining a set of “absolutes” and of claiming Prior had perfect mechanics. We all know now that there are no absolutes and there are no perfect mechanics. But, in my opinion, that’s all House is guilty of. I’d even be so bold as to say that those happenings were a necessary part of the learning process and of the evolution of our understanding of the act of pitching.

Now those who want to bash House will forever point to Prior and his injuries. But, really, there has never been any proof that Prior’s mechanics are what caused his injuries. Pitching is a very violent act and it puts tremendous stress on the soft tissues of the elbow and shoulder. Everyone - except for Prior’s orthopedist - who claim Prior’s mechanics caused his injuries are merely speculating. Really, House has worked with so many pitchers (at all levels) that if Prior is the only one with problems then I’d say House has a pretty good track record. The Prior thing gets blown way out of proportion, IMHO.

Fit To Pitch has a lot of good stuff in it. I read the book a while back and don’t remember anything to get concerned about. But use your own judgement. Of course, House and the NPA now have a book out called Fastball Fitness. I haven’t read it yet but there’s a chance that some of what’s in Fit To Pitch is outdated. Dunno.

My personal opinion is that House and the NPA are putting out some really good information these days. And they should. They have an impressive advisory board that reviews everything that they put out. The board includes pro pitchers/coaches as well as experts from other fields like strength and conditioning, nutrition, sports psychology, and especially sports medicine including Dr. Glenn Fleisig from the ASMI and Dr. James Andrews - the foremost Tommy John surgeon in the world. They work work jointly with organizations such as Titleist (the golf company) who has done a lot of motion analysis modeling. Most recently, the NPA has hooked up with the Andews Institute (Dr. Andrews’ organization) to focus on, I believe, injury prevention. How many others out there are doing all of these kinds of things?

But I am NPA-certified so I guess that makes me biased. :roll:

[quote=“Roger”]… House has worked with so many pitchers (at all levels) that if Prior is the only one with problems then I’d say House has a pretty good track record.[/quote]Excellent point, Roger. How many coaches and trainers in MLB should be dismissed then? The injury rate is sickening in this activity. To condemn a coach/trainer/researcher for one (actually most likely more than just Prior) pitcher with an injury would be to throw the baby out with the bath water. We really don’t know why Prior, or most, pitchers get injured. Variables. Many variables.

[quote=“Roger”]But I am NPA-certified so I guess that makes me biased.[/quote]I guess one could say that BUT you are also very knowledgeable about House and the NPA, which allows you to educate all of us on the REAL story on what the NPA espouses, not one that come out of the “tunnel vision” resulting from taking a small thing that happened several years ago and blowing it up into the dismissal of an entire body of work. House has evolved and he has done that because of his methodologies and affiliations.

[quote=“Roger”]How many others out there are doing all of these kinds of things?[/quote]Not many, I assume.

leo mazzone’s book is a must have.

the nyman e-book rotational throwing for numbies has excellent information and illustrations.

a must have that is not an instructional book is sandy koufax: a lefty’s legacy. the first chapter is outstanding when he talks about generating force and momentum.

good luck

“Ball Four” by Jim Bouton is pretty good.

“The Knucklebook” by Dave Clark is pretty good, even though most of you show no love for the knuckler.