What are my chances?

I will be entering my junior year in high school. I am left-handed, 6’2" and 205 lbs. I throw fastball ( all 3, 4 seam, cutter, sinker), curve, and not much of a change-up. Fastball has hit 84 a couple of times but mostly sit at around 80-82. I cannot play any other positions, and am a little soft, but I have been workin out a little. Do college scouts consider your overall athletic ability? And am I on a good pace so get into a Division 1 school. Thanks for any info on this.

Sounds like you have plenty good skills to at least progress through high school and take a shot at college ball.
Just a note, there aren’t just 3 “fastballs”. 4-seam, 2-seam/sinker, cutter, slider, and if you’re talented with your fingers a 2-seam that runs down and away from righties, like a reverse sinker. Like a cutter, but with more drop.

Being lefty you don’t have to throw quite as hard usually, which is a plus.

Over this winter you will probably naturally gain a couple mph and with some training possibly a bit more. You are set to be in good shape to progress.

[quote=“SnakeManiac72”]Sounds like you have plenty good skills to at least progress through high school and take a shot at college ball.
Just a note, there aren’t just 3 “fastballs”. 4-seam, 2-seam/sinker, cutter, slider, and if you’re talented with your fingers a 2-seam that runs down and away from righties, like a reverse sinker. Like a cutter, but with more drop.[/quote]

i can do that with my 2 -seam …but its completely random…sometimes when i throw thats the effect , others it isnt. I’ve thrown a 2 seamer since i was 9 (its the onkly fastball i throw) it does iradic shit from time to time , from moving away , in , down or just flys straight. it can litterally change from pitch to pitch.

College scouts will first take a look at how well you pitch — velocity, control, and movement — and then your overall athletic ability. However your overall athletic ability will also weigh into their analysis, because they know sometimes pitchers turn into fielders and vice versa.

In addition, if you look soft / out of shape, a scout may question your work ethic and dedication. Especially if you are not throwing 90+.

At the same time, if you get into the best shape possible, you will almost definitely improve your performance.

Get in shape, concentrate on improving the control and movement of your fastballs, and the velocity should come with maturity and conditioning. Continue to work on your curve and make it an excellent pitch. It might help to find a pitching coach/instructor to help you with your mechanics, assuming you are really serious about going D-1. Remember you will get out of this game, what you put into it. Work hard and good things can happen. Work harder than everyone else, and good things will happen.

Good luck!

There are plenty of college pitchers that only throw low 80’s. If you can change speeds well and hit your spots, that’s all the velocity you need.

“Charlie Leibrant didn’t throw his fastball more than 80 mph, but won 15 games a year for the Braves in 1991 and 1992.”
“As long as you can learn how to control your fastball and mix it up with some combination of the change up, curveball, and slider, then you can pitch at any level.”
-Leo Mazzone

It is all about location and changing speeds. With your lefty size, you could be a prospect for many college baseball programs. Continue to work out and get in better shape. Your young. I’ve seen guys pick up more than five mph from the time they were juniors to freshman year in college. Power comes from a strong core and strong legs.

if u got good control you got a good chance of makin it. where are you from though?

Zforce, I am from Sand Springs, OK. Suburb of Tulsa.

How old are you? Are you done growing and maturing?

CADad, I turned 16 two a couple weeks ago. Still dont have a hair on my chin so probably not done maturing. Like I said still a little soft, not fat but havent developed into my body all the way.

You’re probably still going to add some velocity on your fastball so it sounds like if you keep working on your command and secondary pitches along with increasing your fastball velocity you’ll get plenty of looks.