What are D1 colleges looking for?

I want to go to UT or Oregon but im scared they wont come looking at my school. What should i do?

First of all they are not going to come to you, you are going to have to come to them. You should find out the coaches names of the schools your looking at and either email them or send them a letter. This entire process/subject is best summarized and explained on www.hsbaseballweb.com (thank Wales Diesel for that one)

This is the Highschool baseball website. It has tons of articles, info, and tips on getting recruited. They also have a forum that you can join for any questions.

you should have a high velocity fastball (whats you mph) and a very nasty breaking pitch the colleges will come. Go to events like the AZ senior fall classic. I attended this and I am now a prospect for colleges and they are coming to watch me pitch during the season

This subject is heavily questioned all the time, the NCSA came up with some guidleines of what it takes, overall they are pretty accurate. Check it out it’ll give you solid answers.

NCSA Recruiting Guidelines
http://www.ncsasports.org/student-athletes-families/baseball/recruiting-guidelines/

You don’t need a ‘very nasty breaking ball’, if you have a solid change and are able to locate you’ll get just as many looks as someone with a ‘very nasty breaking ball’

Also there’s not as many 90+ College guys as there are made out to be, look at the past few years drafts…

Go to showcases! As many as you can! Try to find ones that the schools you want to attend are supposed to be attending. Also write to the coaches of the schools that you’re interested in going to. Also hsbaseballweb is a great site for this stuff. It has basically everything you’ll need to know on it. It also has a good forum with a lot of parents whose kids have gone on to high end colleges and the pros, and they all seem very helpful (they were helpful about a year ago when I went there with some questions.)

And like Wales said, velocity isn’t as crucial as everyone pretends it is. I mean for a top school like that you need to have something going for you but it doesn’t HAVE to be velocity or a GREAT breaking pitch. A good package of decent velocity control and movement, coupled with great work ethic and success can go a long way. Good luck!

You don’t need a ‘very nasty breaking ball’, if you have a solid change and are able to locate you’ll get just as many looks as someone with a ‘very nasty breaking ball’

Also there’s not as many 90+ College guys as there are made out to be, look at the past few years drafts…[/quote]

I play in a Division I conference where every team has just about 1 guy who throws a real 90. I’m talking 90 consistantly every pitch.

Yet an old teammate of mine who plays for Vanderbilt told me that every single one of their pitchers cant hump up to 90.

He said he wants to play for Oregon, it’s a whole different level as probably half of Division I so velocity is probably much more important in getting noticed by that school

[quote=“MaineBall”]I play in a Division I conference where every team has just about 1 guy who throws a real 90. I’m talking 90 consistantly every pitch.

Yet an old teammate of mine who plays for Vanderbilt told me that every single one of their pitchers cant hump up to 90.[/quote]

And that’s how many Pitcher’s out of all of the DI Pitchers? Not a very high percentage.

Perhaps.

Believe me, I deff agree with you about not needing a power fastball to go DI. The majority of DI pitchers probably throw 84-86. There are pitchers who throw slower and bring the average down, but there are pitchers who throw harder and bring it up.

My main point was, the schools in specific he is talking about, if you’re not already being recruited by them, (since im sure they’ve done their recruiting classes till 2012) then you probably need some incredible stuff to get their attention.

I’m glad that you agree Maine, I just want to make sure kids realise that you don’t need that 90+ to go to DI, too many kids think that’s the only way they’ll get to go DI.

I do agree that since he’s looking at those schools velocity will play a factor, especially if you’re out of state or haven’t done much to market yourself.

Id say there are 3 pitchers on my team who can HIT 90.

As far as pitching goes, I think consistency is important in getting noticed by DI teams, and even colleges are looking into projectability now. Something to work with. We brought in a 6’6 lefty who throws 80, he is considered a project lol.