Well, ....I told so-n-so

You have a practice session. The session is at 5 pm. On the other hand, you know you’re not going to make it due to something that came up that’s unavoidable. This situation is out of your control - these things happen.

So you tell you buddy and teammate to tell the coaches that you won’t be there because of the situation that has just come up.

Next day you pass your coach and he turns on you like a bullwhip!

“ Where the heck where you the other day sport?” And the look on his face says he’s not pleased by your absence.

Now before your go in the wrong direction, or start searching for answers, don’t rely on these responses:

1. I told my buddy to tell you.
  2. Darn that kid, he can’t do one simple thing right!
  3. It’s not my fault somebody else forgot.
  4. I was going to tell you all about it myself later on.

As simple as this may sound, take charge of your own affairs. Get the phone number, address and contact points for all the coaches on your club. Your coaches may have a special procedure to follow when canceling an appearance - pay attention here.

Some coaching staffs will give a guy one pass - not without an embarrassing confrontation. But number two is just not in the cards. So don’t deal yourself a losing hand. Be informed - keep your coaches informed.

Coach B.