Weighted baseball's

Who in the pro’s uses them and do you think they work AND DID YOU USE THEM AND HAVE A GAIN IN MPH? If so how much

I saw Izzy on TV warming up throwing a weighted “object”

This is what Steven just said about them on the Mills Blog thread…

“The weighted baseball issue is different. I have suggested only doing it in the off-season; only using 4, 5, and 6 ounce baseballs; and only doing it after you’ve developed a solid month throwing base. It’s not a good idea to do in-season because it stresses the arm, especially when you’re throwing/pitching regularly. But I always incorporated it into my off-season training as part of my overall strength and conditioning plan, and I was very pleased with the results. But everyone’s different.”

Seems like he used them after he reached his peak as a maintenance tool. So velo increase may not be the only use intended. I believe he’s said he was in the low to mid 90’s consistantly.

I believe I’ve stated my aversion to them due to younger guys mistakenly using it as a “shortcut” to velocity…so I really don’t have a dog in this hunt :mrgreen:

I found that post

Ok weighted balls play a trick with the mind ok. They make you think ok this ball is heavy i have to throw it harder then you switch to a reg baseball and you think its lighter then normal and you throw it as hard as you can. This is how its Done.

So instead of using weighted balls how bought you change your mental approach and think LET IT RIP HARD. Thats one way that helped me gain around 10 mph In one week.

How bought next time you play catch or do any kind of throwing instead of throwing THROW IT HARD you might see a jump in mph like i did.

BUT THIS POST IS ABOUT YOUR OPPION NOT MINE LOL

another post on 27 of july

If you didn’t understand my last post for some reason because it was to much info at once I will re-word it.

A 6 oz weighted ball makes you think its heavy so you try to throw it harder to get it to your regular velocity. So when you start to throw a 5 oz baseball your mentallity changes and you start to think it’s a lighter baseball and you throw as hard as you can because it feels so light.

I got the same effect out of just saying to my self let it rip. And focusing on throwing harder. Now the weighted baseball effect will go away after a while so it has no benefit. Instead the best thing to do is focus on throwing harder.

Also I think the vecloity increase is because you think:

I’m going to throw this hard
It’s lighter Let it rip

So what happends is it tricks your mental approuch to throwing a baseball. Now if you just said I’m going to throw hard with a 5 oz baseball you would be the same effect of velcoity.

The reason weighted balls aren’t as good as switching your mental approuch:
Weight baseball intial vecloity goes away very soon after using them so the velocity you gain goes away before you reach the game because you uses a reg ball in bullpen before game.

Thats why changing your mental approuch and trying to throw harder and trusting your self will work better and you will be able to keep that velcoity.

How did I gain around 10 MPH in one week or about 60 pitches?
I did it bye changing my approuch and thinking I can throw hard and i’m going to.

90% of the game is mental 10% is physical

NICE POST FROM MEEEEEE LOL and it’s true too

No offense or anything, but you way to big of an ego at times.

[quote]I’m going to throw this hard
It’s lighter Let it rip [/quote]

Not too bad of an idea any advice for those who aren’t as “mentally prepeared” to try this?

Proof of this? Don’t say because of your mental state. That’s not proof.

And by the same effect of velocity you mean a quick gain in m.p.h and then you lose this gain pretty quickly?

lol i was joking about the post 1st of all.

2nd off I maintained the mph that i gainined because i focus the same way each time i throw.

Ron Wolforth’s program which uses weighted baseballs as a PART of the training has gotten great results in high school, college, and pro athletes.

Zawrotny’s training recommendations include them as well.

My best experience with them is a couple tosses after some warmups to help get the arm muscles throwing. Nothing serious though… During physical therapy for my arm I was given a 9oz ball and had an exercise I did bouncing a ball into a small trampolene from 2 feet away

It does seem to be good for waking up different musclesss (to me). Not sure about workouts…

I’ve found using lite balls are better for toss type workouts. Then again though, maybe only good for lite warm ups…

Coach Kreber, who use to post here, conducted an experiment with weighted balls and high school pitchers. The results were positive in terms of velocity improvement.

Search this site for posts by “Coach Kreber”. The report from the experiment is also published in the book, Fastball Fitness, by Tom House and the NPA.

Let’s remember that Brent Rushall reviewed as many “studies” that he could find about this topic and concluded that most were flawed in some fashion with respect to scientific method. I doubt very much if he reviewed Coach Kreber’s experiments and I’m not saying that they would also be flawed. The point is that there can and, at least according to Rushall, are “studies” that are flawed and thus invalid and not worthy of consideration.

Now, someone needs to “review” Rushall’s “reviews”. :?

we have used nyman’s setpro arm strength program for 3 weeks now. before starting the program, we have consistently thrown 150 pitch bullpens at 70 to 80% three times per week (every other day during the week unless pitching a league game during the week). just completed a 200+ inning summer season running from march to august and never missed a start or had an arm problem.

threw 81 to 82 mph before starting the program (15yr old in sept, 5’8", 140lbs).

after three weeks of over and under load training with radar feedback of each pitch using balls from 3 oz. to 9oz. and about 70 throws at maximum velocity per session, we hit 85 in a fall league game last weekend.

could be the gain came from simply growing or strength gain from maturity, but we don’t care. the velocity increased, he says his arm feels very good after using the weighted ball program, and if we gain 2 to 3 more mph. by spring, we will be very happy.

we are going to slow down now that fall league is over and do strength training in addition to continuing the weighted ball program and back off the throwing.

that’s my 2 cents worth. we like it and have had no problems BUT, we had a solid base built before we started. be careful and listen to your arm.

dusty,
What product of his did you have to purchase to get his weighted ball program?

the smart power for pitchers program. be careful. we began throwing today and got pain out in the deltiod of the shoulder. this is usually not a problem but we did have to shut it down. we also held a jugs gun next to the setpro radar unit and the set pro unit was consistently 2 to 3 mph faster than the jugs gun.

That’s my kind of radar gun! Nice. Too bad more scouts don’t setpros :frowning:

yeah the stalker that most of them use is 1 to 2 mph slower than the jugs gun. what’s your opinion on the pain on the outer part of the deltoid. think we just overdid it? i know it’s hard to say without seeing someone. we’re checking with a sports medicine guy tomorrow. he did say it was better after we did a light tubing workout when we got home.

I’ve actually seen multiple stalker and jugs guns side by side, all with different readings. Some Jugs guns were even slower than some stalkers on some pitches. Just shows how inexact radar guns can be at times.

Here’s a good interview with Vanderbilt’s pitching coach Derek Johnson that discusses his use of weighted balls as a PART of a complete workout program.

http://www.insidepitching.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=502&Itemid=35

thanks, that is a great article and site.

hope i can return the favor someday

Dusty,
Did you do the entire 3 week preparation program that is supposed to be done leading into the weighted ball training? I remember he had that on his free site at one point in time. It was fairly intense with 4 days a week of throwing and weekends completely off from throwing the first two weeks then 5 days and the weekend off the third week. There were also a fair amount of tubing, etc. exercises to be done.

I would expect some deltoid soreness to happen at points in the program. You typically need to take a day or two off and then go back a step in the program. If that works then you should be able to continue to make progress. If the pain persists, or you can’t get past some point in the program without pain, then it is time to take a longer break and see a doctor.

This is from an old part of his site and is probably pretty out of date.

http://www.setpro.com/finalwebsite/Main%20html/Training%20Center/Training%20Info%20Getting%20ready%20for%20OU%201.htm