Weighted Baseballs

Are there any coaches out there that use weighted baseballs in any format?

I know this is a heated subject, but I am just wondering.

Also, how do I get rid of this poll, or delete a post? The option is not displayed in the edit view.

Any help would be great.

Rabbit, Big Cat, AJ, and B all look decent to me.

I don’t like Mike’s arm action. He’s too focused on throwing with his arms.

Smiley’s lobbing grenades (which some people describe as long-arming).

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]
Rabbit, Big Cat, AJ, and B all look decent to me.[/quote]
I agree, they all do look pretty good - its pretty close between all of them

Rabbit - he may be opening the front shoulder a little early…

Big Cat - it looks like he could use a little bigger stride…

AJ - he seems to reverse-roate alot - but hard to tell from that angle, and he appears to land w/his front foot pretty closed - but I really like the way he finishes through the ball

B - Appears he doesn’t have his PAS forearm up before he turns…

I also agree here, he seems to throw awefully upright too

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]
Smiley’s lobbing grenades (which some people describe as long-arming).[/quote]
I don’t see that, maybe on the first couple throws… It doesn’t appear he’s putting alot of effort in… He may want to try keeping that GS arm up near his chest

They all seem to stay closed well, just prior to landing…

My two cents, take w/a grain of salt…

I agree.

I wouldn’t mess with him.

Looks to me like AJ is flying open with the glove and may be costing himself a few MPH. I would prefer if he pulled his glove into his GS pec.

Hard to say given the low frame rate and the lack of a full body view, but I think his timing is OK.

[quote=“ebkcontainers”][quote=“Chris O’Leary”]
Smiley’s lobbing grenades (which some people describe as long-arming).[/quote]
I don’t see that, maybe on the first couple throws… It doesn’t appear he’s putting alot of effort in… He may want to try keeping that GS arm up near his chest[/quote]

Interesting observation about the GS arm. I think his dropping his glove may be contributing to the impression of lobbing and may be costing him a few MPH. He also isn’t throwing very hard.

My observations:

Every single one of these pitchers suffer from the exact same malady. They ALL are moving their bodies too S L O W. They each have strides that are much too short, despite Chris’ recommendations to shorten it up, contrary to what MLB pitchers do. Before looking at any other items, I suggest that each one have more intent to throw the ball hard by moving the centre of gravity sideways, faster and for a longer period of time. Some of them, as a result of the slow c.o.g. movement, simply put the front foot down and throw. They all need to generate more momentum sideways toward the plate.

Fire these kids up to throw the ball hard by moving more quickly.

Also, why is the point of this thread to compare these kids and choose one over another? I don’t recommend this as being useful or helpful and could very well be detrimental to some of them if they find out what people think.

Let’s just stick to getting each one as far as they are capable.

I agree with dm59. Labeling some as better than others implicitly labels the others as worse. It creates a situation with winners and losers and that could have a detrimental effect.

I have not used weighted baseballs with any of my pitchers. My coaching experience has been limited to youth pitchers ages 10-16 yrs of age.

I have seen one research document on this subject that showed a throwing program using underweight (4 oz), regular (5 oz) and overweight (6oz.)baseballs that did show some improvement in throwing velocities. I believe this was done with high school and college aged pitchers. I saw this on the www.ASMI.org website a few years ago. It may still be there if you are interested.

My personal opinion is that I would not use weighted baseballs for any youth pitcher before his growth plates are closed. Personally I don’t care for weighted baseballs at all. I am somewhat interested in using the 4oz underweight ball to see if this helps in developing the feel of increased arm speed. I may try this myself and report on it afrter the season has ended. I would focus more on core strengthing, a solid arm conditioning program and proper mechanics to achieve increased throwing velocity.

I know that some people advocate weighted balls upto 1lb and others use kettle balls upto 15 lbs. I have tried the weighted baseballs upto 1lb myself and I can’t stand them. They actually make me feel like I’m decreasing my arm speed and I don’t like the extra strain on my elbow and shoulder. I have not used the kettle balls but someone recently posted a video of his son using them. You should be able to find it on this forum.