Weighted baseball throwing program

So does anyone know what program the pitchers use with weighted baseball?

If it increases velocity. What routine do they do, how long, and what increases would be seen?

ok ive been doing alot of research and have come to a conclution on the overweighted and the underweighted baseballs.

I think that If you focus on using Tubing and a good yoga and workout program then you can increses veloctiy and that weighted balls is a Joke because pitching is all about mechaincs and how you use your BODY to throw the ball efficently. Mechaincs is the way to go not weighted balls

RawTalent how did you get that 90mph fastball tell everyone?

I don’t know why RIStar won’t accept anyone else’s opinions or personal findings but I think that Steven Ellis’s weighted ball program works great. I believe that you can find it somewhere on his website but what I remember (and what I did) was this:

Warm up with regular 5 oz baseball
3 minutes at 70 feet
3 minutes at 90 feet
3 minutes at 120 feet
1 minute at 70 feet
Then, at 70 feet, I would do:
20 throws with the 6 oz overweight ball
20 throws with the 4 oz underweight ball
20 throws with the regular 5 oz ball
Cool down

I did that program 3x a week for 12 weeks last summer between my junior and senior years in high school. At the beginning of the summer my fastball sat at 82mph and by the end I was routinely throwing 86. And for RIStar- that was my only workout that summer…no lifting, no tubing, no yoga, etc.

Over the winter I combined weighted balls with elastic tubing and weight lifting and my fastball sat at 88 mph for my senior season. The only thing that I changed was that I threw the weighted balls from my windup (instead of like long toss) in order to work on mechanics.

So I’m a strong believer in weighted balls, especially since I gained speed over the course of one summer without doing anything else. All in all, I think that it IS really important to combine a weighted ball program with some sort of weight lifting and functional strength (elastic tubing) program. I’ll be doing the same thing this summer in hopes to bring a 90 mph fastball to college in the fall (whoooooooooo!)

heh, anyway, i hope you find something that works for you so be safe and good luck.

The reason im asking is because my velocity has been low lately. Im njot myself anymore.

I rest etc but my fastball is around 83-86 I dont know why.

I know my mechanics have been a little off but still i cant seem to throw hard anymore.

Im trying to work back at it to stay consistent at 90.

I pitched in a tourney In PA this weekend.

My mechanics were horrible and i tried everything. I mean dont get me wrong i have some nasty off speed and i held them down to 1 run only and got the win but still my fastball was like 83 84. Which got me very discouraged because my team was expecting more from me.

[quote=“Samo_292”]

Warm up with regular 5 oz baseball
3 minutes at 70 feet
3 minutes at 90 feet
3 minutes at 120 feet
1 minute at 70 feet
Then, at 70 feet, I would do:
20 throws with the 6 oz overweight ball
20 throws with the 4 oz underweight ball
20 throws with the regular 5 oz ball
Cool down[/quote]

That’s it. Nothing more. But I never did it in-season. For me, this was an off-season workout that I did 8 weeks starting 4 weeks after I’d built up a good throwing base. Around the 6th week of the WB program, I’d start throwing off a mound so that by the time the 8 week WB program was up, I was throwing 50-80 pitch bullpens. I always reported to Spring Training with an 80-pitch bullpen base.

ok Steven Ellis I might be able to accept it in the offseason. But I think offseason you need to work from a mound and masture all your pitches with a 5oz ball. When games count it’s all about how you get batter’s out with a 5oz ball throwing from a mound.

If you train from a mound in the offseason then when you get to inseason you will be strong and you will have learned very good skills such as control good mechaincs. And you can increase velocity by learning good mechaincs. Also working out the core and legs to be more explosive will increase your velocity and train the body to throw with the body more.

I think pitchers are relying on there arms to much to supply all the power for them and that’s why I think injuries are happening more and more. They never full understand how to get in the correct throwing postion to throw a ball safe with good hip/shoulder seperation.

And remember the more you play your sport like you would in a game the better you will be at HITTING THE GLOVE.

Ps. And if you are using the weighted ball as something to keep your arm in shape in the offseason then that’s a waste because you can keep your self in shape throwing off a mound at game speed about a little everyday and also you can workout too.

I’ve read somewhere that any benefits from weighted balls with respect to velocity are short lived. I don’t know what research there is on it but, if it’s true, off-season programs would not provide in-season velo benefits. Now, conditioning benefits would be something different. Any thoughts?

I think this is possible. The case could be made like any other tool used to develop the body, that the body will revert to it’s previous state if it doesn’t receive the stimuli.

Steve Zarotny (spelling is off) is pro-weighted balls and he recommends throwing them like once every week or two in season just to keep your arm adapted to them.

I personally have noticed a gradual loss of the benefits, however I notice the first week I’m back on the program I have quite a spike in velocity.

then what would a inseason weighted ball program look like then?

[quote=“RIstar”]Also working out the core and legs to be more explosive will increase your velocity and train the body to throw with the body more.

I think pitchers are relying on there arms to much to supply all the power for them and that’s why I think injuries are happening more and more. They never full understand how to get in the correct throwing postion to throw a ball safe with good hip/shoulder seperation.

[/quote]

Thats a good point RIstar but I think you should still be working on your arms getting them strong. You can’t forget that you do actually throw the ball with your arm. Legs and core are important but I don’t think you should be shying away from building up your arm strength. If you have correct mechanics you should still be building up your arm strength. I think too many people get the impression that arm strength isn’t important. I think everything should be equal, arms maby a little more.

[quote=“Bower”][quote=“RIstar”]Also working out the core and legs to be more explosive will increase your velocity and train the body to throw with the body more.

[/quote]

Thats a good point RIstar but I think you should still be working on your arms getting them strong. You can’t forget that you do actually throw the ball with your arm. Legs and core are important but I don’t think you should be shying away from building up your arm strength. If you have correct mechanics you should still be building up your arm strength. I think too many people get the impression that arm strength isn’t important. I think everything should be equal, arms maby a little more.[/quote]

letme tell you this

since my mechanics improved, my arm started to hurt( I DIDNT CHANGE ARM MOTIONS!!) went to my pitch coach, and to docter.

conclusion: arms werent strong enough
( i did alot of workout last week, game went perfectly)
then training, went horrible, arm pain, cuz i didnt do any excersice on arm strenght cuz i wuz sick.

It’s not really a program persay. It’s maintanance. The goal isn’t to improve it’s merely to keep what you’ve gained.

Something simple like

Warm up
10 throws over weight
10 throws under weight
10 Throws regular

And then whatever other throwing you need to do.

You only would need to do it every week or two. According to Zawrotny atleast.

[quote=“RodriGueZ”][quote=“Bower”][quote=“RIstar”]Also working out the core and legs to be more explosive will increase your velocity and train the body to throw with the body more.

[/quote]

Thats a good point RIstar but I think you should still be working on your arms getting them strong. You can’t forget that you do actually throw the ball with your arm. Legs and core are important but I don’t think you should be shying away from building up your arm strength. If you have correct mechanics you should still be building up your arm strength. I think too many people get the impression that arm strength isn’t important. I think everything should be equal, arms maby a little more.[/quote]

letme tell you this

since my mechanics improved, my arm started to hurt( I DIDNT CHANGE ARM MOTIONS!!) went to my pitch coach, and to docter.

conclusion: arms werent strong enough
( i did alot of workout last week, game went perfectly)
then training, went horrible, arm pain, cuz i didnt do any excersice on arm strenght cuz i wuz sick.[/quote]

Thats a perfect example. It may not be everyone but you should really focus on arms too not just legs and core.

Wow, to tell everyone their wrong and not even create an argument for yourself is pathetic.

You are obsessed with band work. I wouldn’t be surprised if you had a shrine dedicated to the theraband for god sake.

Band work ISOLATES your arm that’s all it works. And your going to preach to everyone that they need to quit worrying about working their arm and learn to throw.

Weighted balls WORK. THERE’s SOLID RESEARCH ON THEM.

You probably don’t even know how much they weigh, there also only a portion of one’s offseason. Have you ever thought you can do to things at once? WOW, a full offseason includes MANY variables and pieces.

You also seem to think for some unknown reason that if you choose to throw weighted balls your offseason is automatically going to suck and the person doesn’t know how to train.
EVERYONE realizes it’s good to throw off a mound, quit pointing that out.
Do you think that if you throw weighted balls your never going to see a mound?

Create a VALID argument that YOU have formulated and back up.
I swear, the way you talk, you sure as heck better have a masters in physiology, and a high level of understanding of biomechanics, as well as many other topics in science.

Seriously, if you knew all there is to know ALREADY then you wouldn’t see brilliant minds devoting themselves to baseball and changing their theories from time to time as new research comes out and they have new experiences.

To talk something down like you do; you sure as heck have better tried it.
EXPERIENCE > WHAT YOU READ 100% of the time.

Heck maybe try reading material from different people once in a while, you’d be shocked what you can learn when you have an open mind.

My Two Cents. And maybe you could actually address the whole of what i have said for once RIstar. You do a good job of only responding to one sentence that is often pulled out of the context of the entire reply.

I have ZERO issues with you presenting what you think works, infact I think it’s great and applaud it. But to tell others that they’re automatically doing something wrong, and you know best.
That’s a far cry bud, there’s a lot to learn still.

[quote=“centerfield2150”][quote=“RIstar”]
[/quote]

Wow, to tell everyone their wrong and not even create an argument for yourself is pathetic.

You are obsessed with band work. I wouldn’t be surprised if you had a shrine dedicated to the theraband for god sake.

Band work ISOLATES your arm that’s all it works. And your going to preach to everyone that they need to quit worrying about working their arm and learn to throw.

Weighted balls WORK. THERE’s SOLID RESEARCH ON THEM.

You probably don’t even know how much they weigh, there also only a portion of one’s offseason. Have you ever thought you can do to things at once? WOW, a full offseason includes MANY variables and pieces.

You also seem to think for some unknown reason that if you choose to throw weighted balls your offseason is automatically going to stink and the person doesn’t know how to train.
EVERYONE realizes it’s good to throw off a mound, quit pointing that out.
Do you think that if you throw weighted balls your never going to see a mound?

Create a VALID argument that YOU have formulated and back up.
I swear, the way you talk, you sure as heck better have a masters in physiology, and a high level of understanding of biomechanics, as well as many other topics in science.

Seriously, if you knew all there is to know ALREADY then you wouldn’t see brilliant minds devoting themselves to baseball and changing their theories from time to time as new research comes out and they have new experiences.

To talk something down like you do; you sure as heck have better tried it.
EXPERIENCE > WHAT YOU READ 100% of the time.

Heck maybe try reading material from different people once in a while, you’d be shocked what you can learn when you have an open mind.

My Two Cents. And maybe you could actually address the whole of what i have said for once RIstar. You do a good job of only responding to one sentence that is often pulled out of the context of the entire reply.

I have ZERO issues with you presenting what you think works, infact I think it’s great and applaud it. But to tell others that they’re automatically doing something wrong, and you know best.
That’s a far cry bud, there’s a lot to learn still.[/quote]

Your exactly right. I was expecting great mechanics coming from RIstar considering his such open opinion on everything. I was bewildered by what I saw when he posted himself pitching.

[quote=“Bower”]You can’t forget that you do actually throw the ball with your arm. I think everything should be equal, arms maybe a little more.[/quote]Bower. What is your definition of “arm” and which muscles in that definition benefit from strengthening?

I was thinking the same thing: 10, 10, 10 during the in-season. I actually think that might work nicely. However, I never tried it, so I’m only speculating here.

I’m not an expert on muscles by any means so I don’t know what muscles exately what i’m saying is in my opinion you should be doing just as many pitching specific arm workouts as pitching specific lower body workouts. If i’m totally wrong correct me but was rodriguez i believe said, that his arm was hurting because it wanst as strong as it should be. I’m just getting the impression that people are saying its more important for having the lower body strong than your arm strong.

I have found it works well, although I haven’t been doing it lately because I’m so comfortable with my pitching I’m afraid to make any adjustments, haha.

The goal isn’t fatigue or volume. I feel like it’s the intensity boost that keeps the body from reverting to it’s original state. Much like an inseason lifting program. Volume is low, but intensity is high enough to keep you from loosing progress.

The goal isn’t fatigue or volume. I feel like it’s the intensity boost that keeps the body from reverting to it’s original state. Much like an inseason lifting program. Volume is low, but intensity is high enough to keep you from loosing progress.[/quote]

I agree completely. But I know how you feel, too. When things are going good. Don’t mess around :slight_smile: Keep doing the same thing, the same way.