Weight Loss and Workout Plan

Weight Loss:

Right now I weigh 275 pounds, I am 6’4’’, 17 years old. I am overweight and that is mostly due to a huge increase of weight that happened in a tramatic time of my life a couple years ago. Now I am trying to get back down to around 240-245 at the minimum by next baseball season. I have 9 months until baseball starts again and I am really just looking for any advise on good tricks I can do to not eat a lot, or what type of balance in my eating habits I should consider (protein, fats, carbs).

Right now I am just trying to eat better things and lessen my intake throughout the day. I have eliminated pop entirely and sticking to water, propel, vitamin water, and sport drinks. Also, is doing things like playing tennis, basketball, racquet ball, walking my dog throughout the day helping me a little or a lot? I am trying to stay active throughout the entire day so I dont get bored and binge on a ton of food.

Any tips on weight loss and how to get my mind off food or fight cravings would be much appreciated.

Workout Plan:

I just got a personal trainer yesterday (7-11) and he has me doing upper body one day and lower the next, alternating between the two.

Lower body workout:

• Hamstrings
  • Glutes
  • Hips
  • Core strength

Upper body workout:

• Rotator Cuff
  • Abdominals
  • Shoudlers
  • Chest

He is also having me do Yoga and Spin Class once a week.

Is there any other typs of workouts I could incorporate or is what I am doing a solid foundation?

Any thing would be much appreciate, even just a few words of motivation!

PS: I am a pitcher and I havent been clocked in like three years, but I am guesstimating I throw around 80-84 mph with a good curve and developing change-up. I want to throw much harder and develop my change-up and possibly incorporate a sinker or slider next year.

The workout isn’t such a big issue right now, as you are just getting started. Nutrition is the biggest piece of the weightloss puzzle and that is where you should focus your energy. Cutting soda was a great first step. If you consider that each glass of soda is 150 calories, then consider how much the average person drinks a day, it becomes eye opening to see how many calories are wasted on something with no nutritional value.

The next step will be to change your perception of what a “meal” is. You have probably heard people say that you should be eating 5-6 times a day. That is not always possible for some people, but it is a good goal. Each meal you have during the day should always have a source of lean protein. A good trick is to buy a bag of frozen chicken breasts, then cook a few to last you through the week. Keep them in the fridge and then you can just pop them in the oven or microwave and you are good to go in just a couple minutes. It’s a pretty versatile food - throw it in a salad, put it on some whole wheat bread, eat it plain. Other than that, just try to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables at meals and limit starches (potatoes, white bread, anything with flour or sugar).

The last thing, and you probably wont find this too many places, is to give yourself a cheat meal once a week. It helps to keep you from going insane, and it has the hidden benefit of keeping the body from downshifting your metabolism. For me, it was usually pizza or tacos :twisted: Berardi actually encourages this as a “carb refeed,” so it definitely works. This is also good for maintaining a normal life while losing weight. If your friends go out for pizza one night, you can just use that as your cheat meal.

Finally, the most important thing I can tell you is to make changes slowly. There are so many people that go on these insane diets and they have a goal in mind that is not realistic for a long term. They say, “I just need to stay on this diet for 3 months and then I’ll be able to go back to the way I used to eat.” And they get surprised when they gain all the weight back (and more). If you make the changes slowly then it will become part of your lifestyle and you’ll never have to worry about gaining it all back.

Thanks kc…this is great advice.

I had to learn from a lot of trial and error, being a former fat boy (FFB) myself 8)

I think I was 250-something when I was playing football, which probably contributed to the knee injury I got. After that I got out of shape (still in the lineman eating mentality) and couldnt really exercise without pain, so most of the muscle went away. Over the course of about 6-8 months I dropped down to 185, then sort of levelled off at 192. I have been at that weight for about 4 years now. Just focus on the little goals along the way (not the scale, so much as being healthy). Try to stick to healthy eating for the entire week. Set it like a challenge to yourself and it becomes a bit easier.

Another thing I forgot to mention. Find a food that you enjoy eating that is also healthy. When you first make the change, you’ll be really hungry quite frequently and I think is where most people foul up and cheat. I found out that I actually like carrots, so I kept a stash around all the time. If I was hungry in the middle of the night, I ate some carrots. If you can find a veggie that you like, just keep some around to snack on when you feel really hungry (no ranch dressing or anything on it though). This helps out a lot as well.

What should I do when I have REALLY strong cravings for fried food (burgers, fires, etc…)?

Part of it is going to come down to willpower. You need to be firm in your resolve not to eat certain things that will throw off your progress. One of the easiest ways to overcome food cravings is simply to wait them out. Most of the time it is really impulsive stuff, mental not actual hunger, that makes you want fried food. Drink a couple glasses of water, eat some veggies or a piece of fruit and wait 15-30 minutes. Most of the time the cravings will still be gone. If you are still hungry, then eat one of your meals (healthy stuff, of course).

Learning how to cook can also be a huge benefit. There are hundreds of recipes that taste really good and are also good for you. Salmon is a big one for me, along with the chicken breasts and different types of tuna.

So, instead of…
-a fastfood burger, try an ahi tuna burger (they have them at Costco) on whole wheat bun, or with a lettuce wrap
-fries, try brown rice or even a baked potato (not bad if you avoid too much sour cream, butter, etc.)

You can check this forum for more ideas: http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Hey, just a thought if you’ve got some time and interest in reading up on the topic of nutrition and weightloss more I’d recommend checking out John Berardi.
Here’s a link to his nutrition articles http://johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/index.htm

His articles are easy to grasp and apply. Also he covers a wide variety of things.

I have cut out all soda, junk food, etc. Pretty much anything unhealthy has been cut from my diet. I currently weigh 141.2 and want to get down to about 112 by the beginning of June. I know that averages to be a little more over 2 pounds per week, but I also know that, if done in a healthy way, it can be achieved. I was just wondering if anyone had a plan that maybe they followed that helped them lose weight or that helped someone they know lose weight and would be willing to share. Also, I currently workout 4-6 days a week, with weight training and cardio. Thanks!

http://www.reviewlization.com/truth-about-cellulite-review/
http://www.reviewlization.com/truth-about-cellulite-review/

for weight loss daily exercise is very important.

I would add some cardio into your workout routine as well. Losing weight needs the trifecta (as I like to call it) of fitness. You need to lift weights, eat healthy, and incorporate cardio. All 3 will help your results in the best way. Running, walking, biking, swimming, and more are all great option of cardio. You can even tell your trainer that you want to have your workouts incorporate more cardio, and I’m sure they will be able to create awesome circuits that have cardio, weights, and body weight exercises that will surely leave you out of breath.

1 Like